Trying to find a New headlight look... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Trying to find a New headlight look... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Are you saying the whole headlight red? or just the edges still. Was gonna take a pic of headlights today, ...
    Tlorenzen is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Re: Trying to find a New headlight look...

Are you saying the whole headlight red? or just the edges still. Was gonna take a pic of headlights today, but it rained all day. Gotta love hurricane weather haha.

And I know, but if he/she would've taken the time to convert to 6 lug, none of us would've been able to tell from just that pic..

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    Are you saying the whole headlight red? or just the edges still. Was gonna take a pic of headlights today, but it rained all day. Gotta love hurricane weather haha.

And I know, but if he/she would've taken the time to convert to 6 lug, none of us would've been able to tell from just that pic..
    Converting to six lug is way beyond throwing some V badges on. I was interested in a six lug conversion back when I was seriously considering but then the spindle hubs and brakes had to be swapped as well, plus paying for the overpriced six lug v wheels... I said screw it.

And I wish our bolt pattern and offset requirements weren't so bad either, it's hard to find good quality wheels for the base CTS :|

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    Converting to six lug is way beyond throwing some V badges on. I was interested in a six lug conversion back when I was seriously considering but then the spindle hubs and brakes had to be swapped as well, plus paying for the overpriced six lug v wheels... I said screw it.

And I wish our bolt pattern and offset requirements weren't so bad either, it's hard to find good quality wheels for the base CTS :|
    Agreed. Absolutely not worth the cost to do it. and same here, I've looked a long time for decent priced quality wheels...and still have nothing I truly like..

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Helo makes some pretty decent looking wheels with the offsets we need. As far as quality I have no clue how good they are. I've never heard anything bad though.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    There's always the $7 option. Not a new wheel, but a new look and feel.

It's crossed my mind..did you mean for the lip to be polished still? excluding the peeling. but it looks good. is that just red caliper paint or covers?

Better than I was imaging it looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen
    It's crossed my mind..did you mean for the lip to be polished still? excluding the peeling. but it looks good. is that just red caliper paint or covers?

Better than I was imaging it looking.
    The peeling is just cuz that was the first wheel I tried it on and I messed up the process. You mask off the silver lip with masking tape, spray it on, and let it dry enough so it's not dripping but while its STILL damp, you remove the tape to create a fine edge. On that wheel I removed the tape when the plast-dip had completely hardened...creating that peeling look. The other wheels are clean edges and that wheel I trimmed up after taking that picture so it looks better now.

But yes I think it turned out great and I would suggest making the silver trim. That is just caliper paint. I used the brush on stuff after sanding the caliper and using a paint thinner type thing to clean it. 2-3 coats were enough for me, just make sure it's well sanded and smooth.

Ah that makes sense, I'd prolly make it all black though. Did you clearcoat the plasti dip? or is that even possible? I was thinkin plastidip with clearcoat on top to give it a slight gloss..I'd assume it would still peel off fine if need be right?

Ill be doing this around thanksgiving as I get almost a week off school.

Ah that makes sense, I'd prolly make it all black though. Did you clearcoat the plasti dip? or is that even possible? I was thinkin plastidip with clearcoat on top to give it a slight gloss..I'd assume it would still peel off fine if need be right?

Ill be doing this around thanksgiving as I get almost a week off school.
    I would assume it would peel off all the same even after a clearcoat. As long as the dip was completely between the clearcoat and the wheel. Then again the plasti-dip has a flexible, rubbery composition that makes it so easy to peel off, so if the clearcoat hardened it then it may become more difficult.
    And I never thought of clearcoating it. It might look amazing but I would never feel like doing all that. The glory of plasti-dip is how easy and simple it is to apply, remove, touch up and re-do, and if you're gonna clearcoat it then you might as well go with paint (powdercoat them?) unless you're really really on the fence about whether you want your wheels silver or black.

Nah I was just thinking a little coat of spray clear could possibly go a long way..not really that expensive..and I'd just spray plasti dip over the clear if i ever needa touch it up.

cadiroo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Agreed. I like the fog and marker black, as I'm planning on getting glossy black rims down the road..But just don't know about the headlights...

Is this what you were going for ctsm? I think the top looks a little better.. Honestly, I would just leave the lights alone if they didn't look so bad right now..

Heres' the red..I tried to blend in the shadows...amatures..haha I just left the fogs/markers black, not that they'd match if headlights were red..

I have enough color match paint (bottle the shop gave me when painted bumper) to do both headlights if so.

I'm trying to match these so they'd go with a black set of wheels and my chrome grill, which if everything else turns black I may also turn black..I liked the look of this V

whoa those rims and tires are nice how much and where can i get them???!!! can you use those in winter??

not a clue, they do look nice though.

Here's what my headlights look like. The lens is dirty in these pics just got back lastnight from a 360 mile trip to miami...

Passenger Side

Driver Side

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V mostly stock

That's rough, man. I would probably start scouring CL looking to score some headlights from a wrecked CTS, or save up for eBay. If I didn't need my OEM headlights to pass inspection I'd offer them to you. If nothing else it may be time to start looking into serious sanding and polishing, before I worried about painting them.

Use something like this: http://www.craigslistcrawler.com/ to search CLs everywhere, make people offers that you can afford, maybe?

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Don't forget some V owners swapped out their six lug for five lugs. Simply because there are way more options for the 5 lug for aftermarket rims.

KOT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.