Where to install DRL LEDs on a CTS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Where to install DRL LEDs on a CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by CTSUK Any of these should be ok im sure: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sa...s&LH_PrefLoc=3 I am sure that any of those ...
    chlapec10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2006 2.6L M5

Re: Where to install DRL LEDs on a CTS

Quote Originally Posted by CTSUK View Post
    I am sure that any of those would be ok, what I am interested in, if someone else has any installed and if so, where.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by chlapec10 View Post
    The grill option look great, although here it woulb not be approved since the lights are obstructed (EU bureaucracy strikes again) you would either have to put them on the grill or cut a hole in the grill
    With the style of grille you've got I don't see why the lights would be "obstructed". There are a bazillion different LED options out there with very low profile, flexible strips that could mount in one of the openings of your existing grille. They would hardly be visible when the car is off, and wouldn't be obstructed when they were on.

Quote Originally Posted by chlapec10 View Post
    Anyway, I emailed to some shops that specialize on EU-approved DLRs here in europe, of course they never heard of anything like a CTS but they basically gave me 2 options:

1, easy to do, regular LED bar: http://bit.ly/RhpWUL
    2, harder to do, drill holes to the bumper: http://bit.ly/T7KfR4
    As I mentioned above, there are also flexible strips, which can be cut to the desired length and can be "hidden" a bit. Your option #1 would be best if you choose to mount them down in the lower air dam, but if you did any of the other options I show below, I would go with one of the flexible strips.

I've seen pictures of them installed underneath the headlights. You might have to do a little digging, but I found some pics on Google using various combinations of "CTS LED strip headlights". Here's one from this forum, although I've seen better.

There's also this thread where the guy cracked open the headlights and installed them inside.

Of the options the shop proposed, I would go with the LED bars in the lower air dam. I wouldn't want to drill holes in the bumper cover to mount the individual LEDs - it might look cool, or it might not. If it turns out you don't like the way it looks, then you're stuck with a bunch of holes in your bumper.

Here are a few options. (I understand yours wouldn't be yellow, I just used yellow to make it stand out in the picture a little better.)

I think the options down low - either in the center opening of the bumper, or in the fog/DRL opening - would look the best.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Thanks for your insight.

Unfortunately I can't install any led bar or led strips, they have to have a E-mark (European homological certificate that they are Street Legal), and sadly, I found no flexible strips that have the E-mark, the most flexible being the version with separate holes

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

I would go with 2 led DRL's in the lower part of the front grille with a set of these, shouldnt think many have installed them as there are no restrictions here in the uk for the lamps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Vehicl...item4169a40ece

Do they not allow the little triangular lights in the headlight cluster to be daytime lamps?

ham4864 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

you should buy a audi then, or a honda and RICE it out.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by ham4864
    I think he's doing all this because he has to to avoid having to drive around with headlights on as DRLs, not just to rice out his caddy ahah.

Quote Originally Posted by chlapec10
    Thanks for your insight.

Unfortunately I can't install any led bar or led strips, they have to have a E-mark (European homological certificate that they are Street Legal), and sadly, I found no flexible strips that have the E-mark, the most flexible being the version with separate holes
    No offense, but all this European regulation is kinda ridiculous...

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacAsAlways View Post
    You've won the understatement of the year award sir. lol

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos

You've won the understatement of the year award sir. lol

KOT
    Ahhh just trying to tread lightly on the feelings of our friends from across the pond hahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by CTSUK View Post
    I would go with 2 led DRL's in the lower part of the front grille with a set of these, shouldnt think many have installed them as there are no restrictions here in the uk for the lamps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Vehicl...item4169a40ece

Do they not allow the little triangular lights in the headlight cluster to be daytime lamps?
    I almost sure you have the same rules regarding the E-mark, as this is European Union law, even the lights you posted have the E-certification, otherwise they would not be street legal.
    emark.jpg
    Regarding mandatory DRL i don't know, every country has that differently.

Quote Originally Posted by ham4864 View Post

I think he's doing all this because he has to to avoid having to drive around with headlights on as DRLs, not just to rice out his caddy ahah.
    That is the only reason.. I am not going to "tune" anything after that(maybe a black mesh grill, if at all), I like the CTS as it is... But, since the law is as is.. I have to adapt
    Ahhh just trying to tread lightly on the feelings of our friends from across the pond hahahahah
    No hard feelings It is as it is.... And I myself could tell how mush BS the regulations come up with, this being the smallest of them. (Did I tell you that a gallon of regular gas (95 petrol) costs here around 7.55 USD )

san2cci is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 3.6 CTS, Volant, V Exhaust, Hotchkis (SOLD!); 2010 2SS

Couldn't you just turn your foglights on during the daytime?

Quote Originally Posted by chlapec10

(Did I tell you that a gallon of regular gas (95 petrol) costs here around 7.55 USD )
    So I've heard, but still... :O :O :O unbelievable.

And we viciously complain about our $3.70 gas here in the states...

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

other than the E marks the driver lamps can be the small triangles, passed its mot inspection without issue with those as the daytime running lamps, different rules for different countries, we still have the pound rather than the euro!

Quote Originally Posted by san2cci View Post
    Couldn't you just turn your foglights on during the daytime?
    nope, fog-light use is very strict, allowed only in cases of fog and heavy rain/snowfall, otherwise when you are caught using foglights you would be fined around 50 USD.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I'd rather have the European regulations (and, more importantly, rigid enforcement of the standards) than the utter lack of enforcement we have here. I would love to be able to drive around at night without being blinded by the idiot in his Civic or LeSabre or Camry or jacked up F150 with improperly installed, poorly aimed bright blueish-purple HIDs, reverse lights that come on when they hit the brakes, etc etc.
    Kingoftypos and Kingoftypos like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC
    I'd rather have the European regulations (and, more importantly, rigid enforcement of the standards) than the utter lack of enforcement we have here. I would love to be able to drive around at night without being blinded by the idiot in his Civic or LeSabre or Camry or jacked up F150 with improperly installed, poorly aimed bright blueish-purple HIDs, reverse lights that come on when they hit the brakes, etc etc.
    I certainly see where you're coming from...but not me! I like being able to make "illegal" modifications to my car and being able to get away with them.
    i.e., my electric cutout which is supposedly a noise and emission violation in my state...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.