Power Steering not centering + sounds
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Power Steering not centering + sounds in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi I have 2 questions regarding power steering on my CTS 2004, excuse me if it has been already discussed, ...
    chlapec10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2006 2.6L M5

Power Steering not centering + sounds

Hi

I have 2 questions regarding power steering on my CTS 2004, excuse me if it has been already discussed, i tried searching on the forum.

Before you ask, I had my PS fluid level checked and topped off a short time ago, so the lack of it should not be the cause.

1, Although my PS works, the steering wheel is very easy to turn... it refuses to return to the center position, it does this very very slowly while driving, is this normal on a CTS (this is my first Cadillac)? if not where is the problem? I checked on the forum that the PS can be programmed by the diagnostics tool to factory / stiff / soft, but as I understand it, this should not affect the issue I am encountering

2, Then I turn the steering wheel to the left/right most position a noise starts coming out of the front, as I suppose the servo pump... Again, is this normal and I should not care or is this a issue?

Thanks to all for helping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Every car has a car has a slight "pull". When it gets really bad then have your alignment checked.

As for that noise when you turn hard right or left. That is the power steering pump stressing trying to give you more power. Every car has that problem, some are louder than others.

KOT

Re: Power Steering not centering + sounds

alignment? I am not saying that the car turns to one side and refuses to go straight... it does and all is good.

The thing is, when I turn for example in to a curve, I more or less have to also turn the wheel back to center, it will not return to the center when I let go of the wheel, I see some movement, but not as quickly as I would imagine it to be,

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    What have you driven before? Front wheel drive and/or all wheel drive?

Amy rear wheel, like the CTS?

KOT

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Have you checked the hoses ? One could be pinched, crimped or damaged. Or could be a bad valve in the PS unit itself.
    Check the whole system carefully for any anomallies. Sounds like it's not getting full fluid pressure.Maybe drain & purge the system with new fluid, check the condition of the old fluid.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post

KOT
    Mmmmm.................Amy rear wheel.........popular girl................

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post

KOT
    I would say that 99% only front wheel drives, also my company car I drive is a FWD (a Škoda Fabia, I am almost sure you have never heard of that before ),

Have you checked the hoses ? One could be pinched, crimped or damaged. Or could be a bad valve in the PS unit itself.
    Check the whole system carefully for any anomallies. Sounds like it's not getting full fluid pressure.Maybe drain & purge the system with new fluid, check the condition of the old fluid.
    I haven't checked anything yet, merely trying to establish if there is something bad or it is just a getting used to thing. As I said, the turning of the wheel is very easy, so PS is definetly working

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.