Key remote programming
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By ShapeShifter
  • 6 Post By Argent1
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Key remote programming in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So, first off.. I GOT MY CTS TODAY!!!!!!! But as I was putting my things in the car to drive ...
    modelheather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Key remote programming

So, first off.. I GOT MY CTS TODAY!!!!!!!

But as I was putting my things in the car to drive it off the lot and the sales guy handed me the key, there was no remote. Of course, he had no explanation other than he did not have the remote.

*eye roll*

So I want to buy the key remote on eBay (they're pretty cheap) but I'm not sure if I can program it myself without having an old remote or if I have to take it down to a Cadillac dealership and pay to have it done.

I love my new car, but not having the remote is irritating..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lzr
    Lzr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS - 3.6L, perf pkg, RX catch can, Vmax Ice, Volant CAI

Re: Key remote programming

you can buy em off ebay but your gonna have to get a dealer to program it for you, can't be done on your own without the proper equipment.

Xblakxx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by modelheather View Post
    So, first off.. I GOT MY CTS TODAY!!!!!!!

Congrats hon, hope you get your key/remote situation fixed soon. Looking forward to seeing pics....

ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs

Congrats! Sounds like everything else is ok with the new buy.

Yea, Key Fobs can only be programmed with a Tech II Scanner. You can use a local Caddy or GM Dealer, or try and locate an Automotive Locksmith.

I think the selling dealer, if Cadillac or GM should program them as a courtesy, especially if you’re buying the remotes. If you must pay, then first check to see if there's a local automotive locksmith to compare prices, they usually charge much less.

Within the USA please go to: www.autolocksmithfinder.us to see if you can locate one in your area.

Those outside the US can go to: www.global-locksmith.com to look for one.

TheBrown57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 Luxury Sport

Cost me $50 to have mine programed from a Cadillac dealer

One additional thing to consider when replacing remotes is.....Each has a number 1 or 2 on the back and its own unique P/N which allows it to recall memory settings for two drivers, providing the vehicle has the Memory Seat/Mirror Feature. So just be sure to get the number 1 part numbered fob if only buying one remote or both unique part number fobs if buying two.
    Argent1, Argent1, Lzr and 1 others like this.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

If you happen to get two remotes that has the same number on the back, 1 or 2. There isn't really a need to have concern. Which ever was programmed first will be driver number One, then second would be driver Two. You just have to remember which. Heck, put a tag on each before programming. Then once you put them on the key ring that you want it on, remove the tag.

Of course none of this matters if you don't have the memory seat function. The best way is to look for the number 1 and 2 on the driver's door switch panel.

KOT

Argent1 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

I don't have memory seats but my remotes each retain the greeting, A/C & heater controls etc. for each individual.
    Lzr, Lzr, ShapeShifter and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post
    I don't have memory seats but my remotes each retain the greeting, A/C & heater controls etc. for each individual.
    I don’t have the memory seat and mirrors option either. Nice to know our second one does that for those different driver settings! Heck, I only tried the second remote once when picking up the car, just to see if it locked and unlocked the doors. Me think I threw it in one of the drawers at home…

69 Camaro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 SRX 3.6 AWD, 69 Camaro

Try a lock shop first. A dealer could ding you $400 for a fob and progamming. I just paid a lock shop $210 for 2 new keys and a new fob. I swore that when I inquired that they told me the fob and programming was $80 but they ended up charging me an extra $50 for the programming. Kinda pi$$ed but it's done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.