Shift to reverse click?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Shift to reverse click? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have an 06 3.6 with 64000 miles When I shift into reverse, from either park or drive, cold or ...
    Rbeisaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L Blackberry

Shift to reverse click?

I have an 06 3.6 with 64000 miles

When I shift into reverse, from either park or drive, cold or warm engine, I get a click noise that comes from under the good or I should say the front of the car. It's not loud or excessive but is a distinct click. Any idea what that could be? I would say it happens 95% of the time now. I just keep waiting for it to turn into a clunk!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbeisaw
    I have an 06 3.6 with 64000 miles

When I shift into reverse, from either park or drive, cold or warm engine, I get a click noise that comes from under the good or I should say the front of the car. It's not loud or excessive but is a distinct click. Any idea what that could be? I would say it happens 95% of the time now. I just keep waiting for it to turn into a clunk!
    Not sure what tranny the 06's have, but my 03 with the 5spd auto shifts roughly (sorta a clunk, I guess) when I go from reverse into any gear. Asked about this earlier and a bunch of guys I guess have that too, and it runs beautifully otherwise for the most part so I'm not too concerned.

Not sure about a clicking though! Just thought I'd throw in my experience with mine...

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Re: Shift to reverse click?

I have the 5spd auto (5L40E) in my 2005 CTS. I get the same noise. I am under the assumption that it happens more when the car is parked on an incline. With all the weight of the car being held back by whatever it is in a transmission that holds everything at a standstill (I believe I have heard it called the parking pin). Granted that does not explain why it happens when shifting from drive to reverse (which I have also experienced).

My shift link was broken when I bought the car, there was a ping/tink associated with moving the gear shifter. And there was noticeable play in the shifter (which is really wierd in an auto). I had it replaced and the transmission still thuds from one gear to the next.

I also have a bad differential bushing, which allows my differential to rock forward and backwards before the torque ever starts turning the wheels... I figure this lurches the car around, thumps the transmission from the back end, pinches my flex disks with ever-changing driveline angles, and I (personally) think it is the number one reason my car makes the noises it does. That is why I am going to have Creative Steel rebuild my driveshaft and replace the transmission mount and differential bushing at the same time. After that, I am going to get my transmission fluid and filter replaced. If that doesnt fix it, then GM designed the cars to make that noise.

JDodd22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6l
    I've had the same noise when the car is parked on an incline/decline. One way to keep the pressure off of the drive shaft and transmission is to use the parking brake before putting the car into park. You won't have the hard clunk or pop when shifting out of park.

mickmosh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Camaro SS/RS

Re: Shift to reverse click?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post

My shift link was broken when I bought the car, there was a ping/tink associated with moving the gear shifter. And there was noticeable play in the shifter (which is really wierd in an auto). I had it replaced and the transmission still thuds from one gear to the next.
    I just noticed that I have about a inch of play in my shifter. It's shifting fine but the play is bugging me.. Never noticed it before guess time for new shifter cable?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.