Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Omg best buy just screwed up my car! With pics!!!

10K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  Caddy Dad 
#1 ·
Ok so i got an installation of a viper 5704 2-way alarm with remote start and kenwood dnx6190hd navigation stereo at best buy. they took out my stock DIC and radio. NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH MY CAR BEFORE I BROUGHT IT THERE. i drive home and when i arm the alarm i see the right rear passenger side light does not flash like it did BEFORE i went to them. i call them they look and say they don't know what happened and go to a cadillac dealer! i go there and they say they only deal with stock alarms and radios and to go back to best buy! i have been getting the runaround since. a different car audio installer said that's electrical and they did something wrong. i brought it to my mechanic and he checked the fuse boxes both under the hood and under the back seats and they are fine. also the light circuits work when tested so i know it was FINE BEFORE THEY TOUCHED MY CAR! i dont know what to do now. the installer @ best buy said this cts has ''one brake wire and it is getting a signal on the other light so they didnt do it....." he was so rude to me too! (im a girl btw) but if you look at the pics the left side the very bottom brake light does not turn on as well! this is terrible i spent almost 2000$ on all this and my car doesn't even work properly! i dont know what to do any input is greatly appreciated!

bottom right tail light :

when parked :

also parked :

reversing:

See less See more
#3 ·
i know there are a few alarm guys on this site, so i am sure they will be able to give you some insight on what may be wrong. did you talk to the manager of Best Buy? no doubt they screwed it up. you may have to show your ass to get somewhere. if you dont get anything from the manager of the store, go above his head.

#4 ·
yes i did just now basically they are sending me back to cadillac to try and fix the problem and they will pay for it. but i want compensation for the driving and hassle im going through. they said cadillac will check the bulbs and the relays on the the lights whatever that means. i am so pissed right now!

#5 ·
I don't want to add to your anger. But if I am understanding you correctly. The bottom part of the tail light is out. Yes?

What year is your CTS? I believe the 03 and maybe 04 used the top and middle as brake lights. Though I haven't seen enough to confirm this. My 06 does not use the middle as a brake light. It's just used at night time.

All lights on the first gen CTS are incondisent(sp). Besides, if LEDs are installed. The alarm installer would of tapped into the wire that inputs the signal into the blinker relay. I'll post the same diagram BB used later. So the lack of resistance wouldn't bother the alarm. And another besides, DEI (the aftermarket alarm) uses relays for their parking light outputs now a days.

So I believe your right light bulb is out. It should be a 3157 or 3156. No tools are required to change it. Just need to move the carpet out of the way and remove the thumb screws holding the lamp housing on.

Personally I would do this, because if you have Cadillac replace it and bring the bill to BB. Best Buy might say that the bulb going out wasn't their fault.

If you lived close to me, I would replace it for you and you'll have experience out of it for the next bulb.

KOT

#8 ·
wiring is identical to the 06.

i gotta say, i wouldnt let some 17 year old touch my caddy with more than a towel.
your electrical is messed up, wires are crossed. best thing to do is reverse everything they did and then troubleshoot the issues.
problem is now the dealership is going to be working around a hacked job, hopefully they used a harness and didnt try to splice into the factory wiring...

they will not compensate you a single $ for the aggravation, be glad that your car is going to the dealer to be looked at.
did you try to get them to do the DIC mod? or just a deck install?

Reactions: odthetruth
#9 ·
Best Buy would NEVER do the DIC mod, no way...Their installers are all rookies, that's where you go if you can't hack it at a real professional car audio shop, wouldn't let Best Buy touch my car with a 10 ft. pole.

Reactions: outsider
#10 ·
#15 ·
print this thread, and show them this comment:

YOU GUYS ARE TOTAL HACKS, PLEASE KEEP AWAY FROM ALL CADILLACS AND STICK TO THE VEHICLES THAT ARE IN YOUR ROOKIE HANDBOOKS!

they are not qualified to make and judgement calls or do troubleshooting. what they are (arguably) qualified to do is to hook the red wire on their plug in harness adaptor to the new deck harness. no splicing, no guessing, no testing.
red to red, black to black, brown to brown and so on. if it isnt colour coded they shouldnt touch it.

dont let them see the wiring info that KOT posted...i fear it may make things worse....

#17 ·
we dont know if the bulb is the problem.
change the bulb and then bitch about the wiring.

Reactions: josney
#18 ·
I'm sorry y'all. But I don't think BB rookies did anything wrong. The brakes lights work. That is shown in the last picture with the reverse lights. Center light left light work. So that wire they tapped into still works.

I am going out on a limb here and say its the wiring in the rear tail light housing. To the OP, does the turn signal work too? If not, then there maybe a grounding issue since all four bulbs are out. Three of them are the large bulbs, 3156 or 3157 then one 194 bulb facing towards the side of the car.

KOT

#21 ·
i like the beach.

looking at the pics im starting to think that you do have burnt out bulbs...the brake lights work, running lights dont.

the whole flashing when you turn it on is a wiring issue.

#28 ·
Just like roma604 said, that green light icon means that your at least your parking lights are on. Whether you have them on in the manual position or in the auto position and it's dark out. This does NOT mean that the headlights are on though, it's just for the parking lights. However, if you have the switch in the parking light position only and it gets dark enough. You'll receive a message on the DIC stating Headlights Suggested. Well you would of if you had the DIC still, sorry.

So my advice, just leave the switch in the auto position. The parking/headlights will turn on or off as needed. There is a 30 second delay though, you'll notice it when you are traveling and you hit an overpass on the road and you have to stop for a red light and your left under the underpass. After 30 seconds that icon will show up, which means your parking/headlights are on.

The reason for this green icon, is because the dashboard lights are always on. No matter if the parking lights are on or off. In years past and other cars, you'll be able to see if the parking lights are on by the dashboard lights. Well no longer. lol

KOT

PS Where are you from?

#32 ·
UPDATE:

cadillac dealership is working on my car still haven't found the problem and they already clocked 3.4hrs. he said they '' may or may not be able to determine if BB caused this problem" im like huh? wtf? so i guess i just have to wait til tomorrow im just tired of all this! i had this car exactly 2 weeks today! and it was fine before BB i hope it turns out fine i don't know anymore.
Also, since i removed the DIC my presets for my drivers seat adjustments don't remember them all the time. just another problem now i have to deal with i guess...

#34 ·
did it go to Kane Cadillac or Kane GM???

#36 · (Edited)
if you are still having issues after they look at it let me know...im friends with the owners son.

good news is they are one of the best ranked dealers in canada, and i think they are the biggest as well.
im sure they will treat you right there.

#38 ·
no im in toronto.
Dan Kane chevy...the link you posted. ive known the owners son for years.

#40 ·
i have friends outside of toronto....

is that the dealership your car is at getting fixed?

#41 ·
Update :

so cadillac said that it is ''fixed'' they COULDN'T LOCAL THE PROBLEM . and they checked a lot of wiring but to do it more it could potentially cost thousands of dollars. basically what they did was put another wire to the brake wire and fix the issue. cost almost 700$! i ask them if he thinks best buy will pay and he said he doesn't know. he also said he CAN NOT TELL IF THEY DID THIS OR NOT... i don't know what to do now....

#42 ·
Kind of wish that I took a look at it. If Best Buy actually caused the problem, I would of seen it right away under the dashboard. Who know's if the dealer tech looked there or not.

Honestly, a remote starter/alarm installer only needs to go under the dashboard. 99% of the wires are there. Some, including myself, may look else where for power to the RS/Alarm. Simply because some of the power wires now a days aren't "beefy" enough for our taste.

As you can see in the diagrams that I provided earlier. The ParkingWire (-) is brown/white under the glove box. This wire controls ALL parking lights, left and right. So the installer should of used that wire, and that wire only.

As for the brake wire, again that is the white wire. But this one is under the rear seat, this is where the 1% of the wire falls. Normally I would of grabbed the wire directly from the brake pedal. However, due to some cars having that switch "way the f up there." I'll look for it else where. In this case, under the rear seat. Just like the parking light wire above, this will control all brake lights. Left, center and right.

If both wires above were used properly, this issue at hand would not of happened. If the installer at Best Buy accidentally cut one of the above wires. All of the lights for that wire would simply not work at all. It won't be like the case it is now, where only one doesn't work.

So my suggestion is, before you take it back to Best Buy. Pull up the rear seat, your gonna have to learn the car anyways. Look for a "mis-placed" wire and see where it goes. Heck, post pictures. Then take a screw driver and remove the glove box's sounder cover, the piece that is under the dash. Again, look for an out of placed wire and post pictures.

KOT

#43 ·
Update:

cadillac dealer ''fixed'' the problem here's the description of what they did:

description:

the damage!

by reading this description is that enough to get reimbursed for all this BS? i need feedback guys i have to show this paper to BB tomorrow!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.