first post! Que about winter driving.....ANY MONTREALERS OUT THERE???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Lzr
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, first post! Que about winter driving.....ANY MONTREALERS OUT THERE??? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi everyone, how are you? Fabs here. This is my first post on this forum. I don't own a caddy ...
    fabchef is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

first post! Que about winter driving.....ANY MONTREALERS OUT THERE???

Hi everyone, how are you? Fabs here. This is my first post on this forum. I don't own a caddy right now...we have a 2006 volvo v70 and a 2008 saab in the driveway. I've always been a GM fan (had a 1996 caprice). I really like the new caddies that are out there. I wanted to know what are some of the better years and what to look out for.
    Also i wanted to know how these RWD cars handle in winter? We get lots of snow here. Winter tires are a must, but does the car handle okay? I head that the "sport models" come with a LSD in the back? I know there are AWD models but if you think they are good in RWD form, let me know..
    I also wanted to know if there are any fellow Montrealers out there?
    ciao
    fabs

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: first post! Que about winter driving.....ANY MONTREALERS OUT THERE???

Hi there,

For LSD, you need to look at your local city corner for that. Preferably in an ally...

Oh wait you are talking about the other kind of LSD, such as Limited Slip Differential. Oops.

Yes, only the 17 and 18" factory wheels were installed with LSD. At least for 06 and 07. Not entirely sure at the moment about the previous years. I have one with LSD and have driven it in the snow since 2008. However, you get way more snow that I do. And I only drive 4 miles to work, granted it is on very windy roads with lots of hills. So I barely go over 20 to 25 while in the snow. Though in past winters I have driven that 4 miles in unplowed roads where the snow was 4 or more inches deep. it snowed too fast that the plows couldn't keep up on the main roads let alone the back roads where I traveled.

Just a FYI, none of the 1st gen CTS had AWD. For that, you'll need to look at the 2nd gen CTS, 08 and up.

KOT

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L / 09 CBR 600rr - Bazzaz tuned

we had no snow in GTA last year...so...ya rwd was fine lol

06WhiteDiamond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS4

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    we had no snow in GTA last year...so...ya rwd was fine lol
    I second this notion.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

These cars dont deal with snow the way an awd vehicle can. Being in Quebec, thats one of the few places Id seriously considered AWD. That said, the CTS is one of the rwd cars in the snow Ive used. Ive had a bunch of E39 BMWs and none were as good.

CTS414 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L Volant CAI/Gibson Exhaust/18" Modas

I live in Wisconsin so we get some pretty bad weather... I have Blizzaks installed and the car handled the snow very well for being RWD.

That being said AWD would definitely be preferred in our climate, but if you have good tires you should be fine.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by CTS414
    I live in Wisconsin so we get some pretty bad weather... I have Blizzaks installed and the car handled the snow very well for being RWD.

That being said AWD would definitely be preferred in our climate, but if you have good tires you should be fine.
    I live in GB and drove an AWD STS and it was AWEFUL. I highly prefer my RWD CTS with all season tires.

Hi Everyone, thanks for the great replies!!!! So it seems that even the rwd's can do okay in the snow? I know that awd will be great (we had a volvo xc70..was awesome in snow!!) but i also had a 1996 chevy carpice (police pack with limited-slip diff)..and i have to say..that it has been the BEST car i've ever driven in winter time, even compared to the FWD cars that i've had and have (2006 volvo v70)!!! no joke! I only got stuck once cause i made a bad move in really deep snow, other then that, it drove well with bridgstone dualer winter tires. It drove like a tractor. I also grew up driving some rwd cars, and i find them to be more predictable when slippery compared to FWD cars. I find it easier to regain control with rwd then fwd.
    In terms of model years (2006-2008) are they all good? pretty reliable?
    thanks again,,
    fabs

Lzr
    Lzr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS - 3.6L, perf pkg, RX catch can, Vmax Ice, Volant CAI

i live in montreal, all you need is good winter tires some common sense and you'll be fine
    car drive good in snow, traction control can be a pita sometimes but overall car drive just fine in snow
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

talladega is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

My 05 CTS handles incredibly in deep snow and on super icy roads. And I've been running old worn out winter tires. Getting a new set for this winter and I am sure I will be even more amazed with it.

alright!!! this is sounding better by the minute! haahah
    thanks guys.
    fabs

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.