Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2007 cts, rx catch can "diy".

19K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  Ross2K 
#1 · (Edited)
First i removed the radiator bolt for the mounting bracket. Its the bolt just to the right of the radiator hose.

Next i cut the plastic off of the left side, to fit the bracket. I used a file to smooth the surface.

I installed the bracket after having to find a longer bolt to fit.

I then located the vacuum tube on top of the valve cover and removed the 90 degree clip. See the little nipple sticking up off the valve cover, thats where the hose is clamped to.

Next i cut the clip off within a few inches after the end of the 90. As i cut it, i squished the tubing a little bit. I used a circular chisel to regain its shape, (you can use whatever you want). To remove the clip, look at it closely, it comes towards itself and then to the right...

After that i took the hose and a clamp and clamped it to the valve cover orifice. This tube leads to the center (90) of the catch can.

After that i slid the hose onto the tube i cut the 90 off of, (this tube runs from each side of the intake manifold and come together right before the 90 on the valve cover), this hose goes to the other 90 coming out of the catch can.

Here is the end product.

Note: It will be easier to loosen the intake tubes on each side so you have more adjustability for cutting and placing the hose and clamps on.

See less See more
#13 ·
Looks like i will contact him cuz i didn't make it to the office, when i got out, a punk kid i told not to sit on my car, came during the evening and knifed one of my tire (1st time in my life i'm saying this but : thank god for nosy old ladies) my neighbor saw it so at least he's gonna get caught cuz the mom is a deadbeat and didn't want to hear about it, so had to call the cops and do a report and all
and my damn tires are rare in canada (330$ each) what a shitty day gonna be on the donut for couple days till they receive the tire no one has it locally

sorry didn't mean to switch subject, so didn't make the bracket and won't be in the office for 3 weeks, so might as well get the real bracket

#18 ·
Short, is there any particular reason you attached the hose directly to the PCV tube rather than leaving a couple inches of hose coming off the fitting and connecting to that? Both accomplish the same end result, I am just wondering if you chose to nix the stock fitting for a reason.

#27 ·
The catch can intercepts oil in your positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system before it gets cycled into intake (to be burnt in the combustion chambers). Oil doesnt burn as well as gasoline, and so the computer reads it as a lean burn and retards your timing, stealing power. The catch can just keeps the oil from being recycled into the burn cycle of the engine.

The catch can is usually used in conjunction with a opened up/drilled out/modified PCV metering tube. The LY7 doesnt have an actual valve in the PCV system, and just uses a tube with two holes in one end and one hole in the other. A lot of people drill out the larger of two bottom holes and the single top hole out to 7/64". This is because these metering holes are prone to blockage and if the crankcase does not get proper ventilation it can cause all sorts of problems, and the larger diameter holes are less apt to get plugged.

It is an excellent preventive maintenance step to keep your valvetrain clean and ensure you get access to all the power your engine is capable of producing.

#49 ·
I hate to quote myself from the same thread, but...

And, yes, a system like this would be beneficial to any vehicle that has a system in place to vent crankcase case, and thusly engine oil, into the combustion chamber... all modern street-legal vehicles employ such a system to comply with emissions regulations.

#29 ·
Sorry if this was mentioned, but I'm interested in doing this soon - found out the new to me CTS is an oil burner - 1/2qt in 1500 miles. Anyway, I'm on the revxtreme website and I see a catch can with a dual check valve and a single, which is the one I want? I may end up just calling them to order, what do I need to specify besides vehicle? Longer bracket and ..?

#36 ·
You can drive to Palmetto buy it and have them install it. You can get a great tour too. :)

#40 ·
Teedoe said:
Oh really? I will def do that. I might see if BlueHaze will tag along
I would jump all over it bud but I am on the other coast now. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.