How to reprogram your TPMS...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How to reprogram your TPMS... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey folks, I just want to do a DIY to reprogramming your TPMS when you rotate wheels. As you may ...
    Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

How to reprogram your TPMS...

Hey folks, I just want to do a DIY to reprogramming your TPMS when you rotate wheels. As you may know, not all 1st gen CTS' came with it. Even mine didn't, I just gathered the information on how it's done.

There are two ways, by the book, that this can be done. Both ways requires an air compressor. I advice not to use a foot pump or one of those cheap emergency 12volt pumps.

You can either let some air out before you start, about 20 seconds worth. So probably several PSI. Or you can let the air out during the process. Please note, when going through the steps you are not add/subtracting air to precise measurements. You are just making the car "see" a pressure difference, so accuracy is NOT needed at programming.
    1. Turn the car to the ON position. Do not start.
    2. Press the Lock and Unlock buttons on the keyless remote for several seconds until horn is heard.
    3. Start at the Driver Front wheel, either remove the air for several seconds and wait for the horn. Or add air if you already taken air out, but don't add if you didn't remove air before hand.
    4. Move on to the Passenger's Front wheel. Repeat step as above, remove/add air until horn sounds.
    5. 3rd wheel would be the Passenger's Rear wheel. Until horn sounds
    6. 4th and final wheel would be the Driver's Rear wheel. Until horn sounds
    7. Cycle power on the car to see the changes. You may not have to cycle power, but it wouldn't hurt. From my understanding, there is a second horn sound after the last wheel. This should be to exiting horn sound, so don't be alarmed.

You have a set amount of time to do this. So if you hear a random horn sound, it might of exited the programming. If that is the case, you have to start all over from step one.
    Once done, set all wheels to the recommended PSI. Which should be 30psi for our cars, just check your driver's door sill label.

KOT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: How to reprogram your TPMS...

Updated. When letting air out, I'd normally let at most about 3-5 seconds out on each tire and wait on the honk. Honk normally takes a little while so you should be patient with it. I've updated this to FAQ.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Thank you sir.

KOT

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Good job, Sirs.

TheBrown57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 Luxury Sport

Pretty sure mine doesn't have it

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

The Cadillac CTS/CTS-V FAQ page has the procedure, too. As odthetruth said, do not let air out of the tire until the horn honks, as that will release a lot of air unnecessarily. 3-5sec is a good thumbrule, then just stand back and wait for the horn to honk.

On the non-V cars, does it display the pressures in the instrument cluster, or is that just a V thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    I advice not to use a foot pump or one of those cheap emergency 12volt pumps.
    I concur on the foot pump, but why not use one of those 12V pumps? Should work just fine.

You can either let some air out before you start, about 20 seconds worth. So probably several PSI.
    It doesn't need to be that much. I would say a PSI or two is sufficient.

Start at the Driver Front wheel, either remove the air for several seconds and wait for the horn. Or add air if you already taken air out, but don't add if you didn't remove air before hand.
    I don’t understand that second sentence. You can add air for a few seconds just like you can release air for a few seconds. You don’t have to bleed air out beforehand; you can just as easily bleed it out afterwards.

From my understanding, there is a second horn sound after the last wheel.
    Yep, the horn will beep twice after the driver’s rear is “seen” by the system.

Once done, set all wheels to the recommended PSI. Which should be 30psi for our cars, just check your driver's door sill label.
    Keep in mind that’s the recommended pressure for the factory tires in the factory size for a factory (soft) ride. With all 3 of my cars I’ve found that running the factory recommended pressure makes the car feel soft and unresponsive; running cold pressures in the mid 30s gives sharper steering response and (IMO) feels better.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Keep in mind that’s the recommended pressure for the factory tires in the factory size for a factory (soft) ride. With all 3 of my cars I’ve found that running the factory recommended pressure makes the car feel soft and unresponsive; running cold pressures in the mid 30s gives sharper steering response and (IMO) feels better.
    I believe that its mentioned in the manual that higher PSI is recommended for high speed driving too.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.