Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Downshift problem from 5th to 4tg - Manual 5sp Transmission

4K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  AAIIIC 
#1 ·
Hi

I have quite a annoying problem when driving, I have no troubles shifting 3-4-5, but when I want to downshift from 5 to 4, mostly it doesn't let me, when I shift even a little toward 3 and then back to 4, it works as as it should. Also with the engine off and not moving it more less shifts as is should
Yesterday I was also informed by my technician that my flex discs are in need of replacement, but i dont know if this issues are related.

And yes, I have a 2004 model CTS, 2.6L, MANUAL 5-speed transmission

Thanks for your advice

#13 ·
Rev matching is blipping the throttle in between gears as you downshift so that you match the revs of the engine to the revs of the transmission.

If you're downshifting to accelerate, it's pretty easy - you just put the clutch in, blip the gas to raise the RPMs and shift to the lower gear, then let the clutch pedal out (hopefully with the RPMs about where they need to be in the new gear).

If you're downshifting while braking, you have to heel-toe in order to blip the throttle while still maintaining pressure on the brake pedal.

#16 ·
So, news from the service garage, the transmission itself is ok, the problem is elsewhere, the part in the red box is is worn out, honestly don't know how it's called in english (would be glad if some tells me)
and here comes the problem, the parts needed are apparently not sold anymore i need part 25746745 and 25740954... any tips?

Thank you

Auto part Diagram Line art Parallel Technical drawing

#17 ·
So, news from the service garage, the transmission itself is ok, the problem is elsewhere, the part in the red box is is worn out, honestly don't know how it's called in english (would be glad if some tells me)
I would call the metal rods "shifter linkages", but I don't know what the official name is. I'm assuming there are bushings, rubber or hard plastic, that are in the ends of the linkages, and that the bushings have worn out.

and here comes the problem, the parts needed are apparently not sold anymore i need part 25746745 and 25740954... any tips?

Thank you

View attachment 98020
25746745 is the shift lever itself. I don't understand how that could be worn out. :confused: When my brother's CTS-V had excessive play in the shifter and became very notchy, I thought maybe the plastic ball that is in the middle of the shift lever had gotten worn out. It turned out that it was fine, and it was the linkage bushings that were destroyed and allowing the shift lever to move around more than it should. In other words, I doubt there's anything wrong with that 2576745 part - I think fixing the linkage bushings will firm up the shifter so it goes into gear properly.

From that diagram it looks like it might be the same shift lever as the CTS-V shift lever (just with different parts bolted to the bottom of it). Maybe you could look into

I did find this '03 shift lever assembly on eBay for $70. Their ad says no international shipping; if you can't find something similar over in your neck of the woods, I would be willing to take delivery of the part and then ship it to you.

As for 25740954, that shifter assembly on eBay appears to include those parts. However, it's used, so the bushings may not be in the best condition. I would guess that those bushings were never available separately from the factory - you would have had to replace the whole linkage assembly (which, as you found, is no longer available). I (and others) had a similar experience with a shifter joint on my Subaru. The stock bushings would wear out, and there was no factory replacement parts. What someone figured out was that McMaster-Carr makes all sorts of universal bushings in a variety of dimensions and materials. It's just a matter of measuring the diameter of those pins that go through the shifter linkages, removing the old, worn out bushings from the linkages, measuring the outer diameter of the holes in the linkages, and then finding bushings that will fit in their place.

In the case of the Subaru, the stock bushings appeared to be a soft urethane, and we all replaced them with a harder nylon bushing. Worked out great, and made the shifter feel way better. This post gives an idea of what I'm talking about - the nylon McMaster bushings (bottom center of his first picture) went into the part at the bottom left of his first picture. Obviously, it's not the same type of shifter setup as on your CTS, but hopefully that gives you an idea of how you could swap out the bushings in your existing shifter linkages. It should be a very inexpensive but effective fix.

#18 ·
Sorry, I messed the diagram a litlle

What I was told that 25746745 is the whole set, both parts 4 and 5(shifter + linkages)..

and 25740954 are the rods, number 3 on the diagram, these would be needed as well, but are also discontinued.

The red box is the location where the trouble is...

Thanks for the ebay link as well as your offer for help, I will check both ebay and McMaster-Carr and see what's going on.

Given the situation I was already thinking of having the rods/screws and bushings made to order here...

#21 ·
Well, to add the solution...
It turned out it was the synchro ring that needed to be changed.... that turned out to be even a larger problem to get hold of...
I later found out that only ONE seller in the united states (no other in the whole world) sells spare parts for the 5 sp manual tranny...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.