Anyone twin turbo the 3.6l v6?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Anyone twin turbo the 3.6l v6? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I love my 2007 cts. I want more speed and power. Anyone out there done any? I would really like ...
    ryanweiss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts 3.6 1954 coupe de ville

Anyone twin turbo the 3.6l v6?

I love my 2007 cts. I want more speed and power. Anyone out there done any? I would really like to slap twin turbos on it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Re: Anyone twin turbo the 3.6l v6?

Cant see it buddy, if you want more power get a CTS-V

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    If you have $10k+ just laying around, be my guest
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

You could prolly do it for like 8. haha Get a V dude, 400 hp stock V8. And if you still want more give it headers, tune, exhaust, cia. and If still want more then try TT. You'd have to get a different dif though. a TT in the V can push 700 hp if I remember right. Scary..

DeFo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You can do it for $5K +/-.....go to http://ststurbo.com ....they do twins for the 3.6L Camaro

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport

It would near impossible to do, and if you did you could maybe run 5psi of boost which is pointless. The 3.6 has to high of compression to run high boost safely. To do it you would have to do a new rotating assembly, cams and exhaust. You cant just slap on turbos and think it gonna work. If you want more power get a CTS-V.

DeFo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jran0823 View Post
    It would near impossible to do, and if you did you could maybe run 5psi of boost which is pointless. The 3.6 has to high of compression to run high boost safely. To do it you would have to do a new rotating assembly, cams and exhaust. You cant just slap on turbos and think it gonna work. If you want more power get a CTS-V.
    That is BS......the Camaro 3.6L V6 has a compression ratio of 11.3 to 1 (that is very high), the STS bolt-on turbo system for that engine is 150HP at 6PSI.......I don't know about anyone else....but I would love an additional 150HP (plus the torque was in the 400 range).

I know our V6 is different from the new 3.6L D.I. V6, but you should be able to get similar results with a twin turbo setup....someone just needs to be the first one.
    JhughesCTS and JhughesCTS like this.

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

RX performance makes turbo and super charged aet ups for our car, call and talk to tracey, he knows his shyt...

ryanweiss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts 3.6 1954 coupe de ville

Yes...I want more power and if I wanted a V, I would have bought a V. The idea of this is to make the little 3.6l outrun the vettes and v's. Thanks for the info on RX performance! Anyone else with any tried and results on perf mods for this would be appreciated.
    SHORTSTACK and SHORTSTACK like this.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ryanweiss View Post
    Yes...I want more power and if I wanted a V, I would have bought a V. The idea of this is to make the little 3.6l outrun the vettes and v's. Thanks for the info on RX performance! Anyone else with any tried and results on perf mods for this would be appreciated.
    The thing is Corvette's and CTS-V's are in a completely different league. If you going to twin turbo you have to match every other component of the engine. My last car was a sleeper and outran 'Vette's and Cobra's but it was a boosted car to start with so it had everything to support it. It was a 300whp GTP running on 93 and 12psi of boost. That engine was 8.5:1 compression until boost was applied, with boost it was around 12.5-13:1. To boost a 11:1 compression engine with nothing else to support it is asking for a spun bearing or scattered rod.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ryanweiss View Post
    Thats a tall order. Even with a turbo setup, the car might put down 320rwhp safely compared to the 220hp it puts down stock... and thats comparable to an LS2 stock which puts about 330, 340ish. A CTS-V with a MP122 setup will dyno somewhere in the vicinity of 500+rwhp. With some bolt ons, that number will be 550+ easy. The average bolt on \ heads\cammed NA setup on a V will run 400+rwhp. This isn't even in comparison to the Corvettes, which with the same mods, will dyno a bit better, be much lighter and run much better in gearing.

For the amount of money you'll drop getting the V6 to compete with the V... you'll be better off starting AT a V.

If you think you can do that entire setup with just 4-5k... You'd be out of your mind. Remember, you'd be the first doing this... and Murphy's Law exists for a reason... You'd also be the first to encounter any issues with boosting the engine.

o3cts had a boosted 3.2L V6... he put down 312rwhp, which I believe was only set for when he was drag racing. It wasn't his daily driver psi. I'm including the link so you guys can see. His daily setup dyno'd something like 280ish. I don't remember the specifics of the thread, it was a while back... the entire thing ended up costing him over 5k for sure. Here's a link to it. You guys can look thru it to see what he encountered and hopefully take any info away from it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...rogress-4.html

[edit]
    Of course, you could always boost the hell out of it to say 'yeah, now i'm making 500+rwhp'. But that won't last long at all. Hell, might not even last the first run.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Me personally, i wouldnt put turbo on anything street driven. A super charger is best for me. You can get up 150 hp increase. What i like about the super charger is that the power is instant and there on tap, turbos have lag, (even twin set up). Though you wont be killing every v on the block but you sure wont be being beat by every v on the block. There is truth here, a twin turbo will cost you some bank.

And i disagree with everyone saying get a v... im tired of hearing that. The price difference when getting a car like that, fuel wise and insurance just isnt worth it tome. Yeah i would like to have a6 speed but i like my car. Plus i dont want to go through the hassle of looking at other vehicle, dealing with people, salesman. I can put a super charger on my car for less then what i can than what a v cost. And still have a 400 hp car.
    mmvvt, rcordero and rcordero like this.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

We have several twin turbo 3.6's running for years out there. We did hit 600 fwhp for 1 dyni run but yes, we expected the rods to ventelate the block and it was only to see if we could do it. Turned the boost down so were making app 550 with it now. It was driven from the shop to the dragstrip and then the next day the customer drove 1000 miles w/out issue back to AR and averaged 28 mpg.

We also did one of our purpose built 3600 stall converters, trans is stock as we have no hard parts to build the 6L50e yet. We did swap out the diff/axles/hubs/drive shaft with a V8 car (the A6 has an open diff so traction was non existant so the easiest was a LSD swap from a V8 car).

The car is still driven and surprising V8's in AR.

Here are a few video's of others both turbo and SC'd we have done:

First dyno at 6 psi:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOaCsw8lFeA
    At the drag strip. The new 5.0 in the other lane had slicks/skinnies and was buit as well.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdg_FL0-_3w

Drive by's from another manual car at 10 PSI.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsgFJPC-d3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytdyf...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogRJr...eature=related

And the super charged versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBJ1DDbT6AI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcON2LM_QIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ans6E...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0LNX...feature=fvwrel

Will have some of the CTS videos in the near future up.

To date, zero motor failures, zero drivetrain failures.

Have these systems in PRC & Russia on the roads as well as the US.
    rcordero likes this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

So... how much does it cost (roughly) to do a twin turbo on one of these?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

We do it installed, tuned, digital boost controller, boost guage, wideband AFR guage, RX dual valve crankcase evac system complete ready to go with Borg Warner turbos for $7900 (plus tax).

Single turbo is app $1000 less and can give the same boost/power, but not as quick of spool-up.
    scooter05 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.