anyone using oil additives? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, anyone using oil additives? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by vms4evr Bluehaze07 - The motor that got chains replaced. What motor is that and what oil (brand ...
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr
    Bluehaze07 -

The motor that got chains replaced. What motor is that and what oil (brand and weight) was in it? How long does that particular car sit? Is it the one you are referring to with the gas stabilizer? More details please.

Adding stabilizer to the fuel of a car that sits long periods of time is good. Stops the fuel lines, pump, and tank from getting gummed up. That's just the nature of fuel if you let it sit. Synthetic oil, on the other hand, is nowhere near as bad. So for a car that is stored a lot. You just change the oil based on time, not mileage.

Another thing is that cars that sit a lot (garage queens). When they get started they need to be run out, not just around the block. The contaminant build up from moisture needs to be burned off. That means getting the engine to full temperature for a while. Oil needs to get to at least 180 degrees if not closer to 200 degrees. That also helps with sludge forming.

Sludge also is an oil byproduct and worse with certain brands. I've seen one popular brand get blamed for horrible sludge. It's formulation appears to create sludge quickly. I won't mention names as I'm not getting into a pissing contest on oil brands. Conventional oil will definitely sludge up faster than synthetic by its nature.

I wouldn't add "oil stabilizer" to anything I cared about. The quality of oil, in the better brands, over the past decade has come so far that additives are completely unnecessary.

On newer engines the tolerances for clearance etc on critical internal parts is so tight that even messing with oil weights can cause premature wear. If your car calls for 5W-30 all the time then just run that. Most people in this day and age just don't blow motors on daily drivers. There are always exceptions.

Btw, the simplest and cheapest oil flush material, kerosene. Which is the main ingredient in most of these "special" engine cleaners that remove sludge...
    I missed this response but thanks for the info. My engine is a used 3.6vvt engine I got at 40,000. We changed the chain at 105,000 mile. The engine has been loud ever since the used one was put in and oil consumption was an issue. I never figured it out until I did the timing chain. I originally used Mobil one (Castrol when it wasn't on sale) and royal purple at 5w-30. I started to use Lucas oil stabilizer but it didn't seem to help. This is the car I am going to use the fuel stabilizer on.

I truly believe that the problem got worse when the passenger side pcv orifice got clogged and the driver side valve cover started to leak. We swapped out the valve cover gasket and cleaned out the pcv holes. We haven't had that issue since.

The car is quieter and doesnt drink up oil anymore. My mechanic told me to let the car warm up and then drive it because of the sludge build up. I'll get some kerosene to add right before i change the oil the final time and I'll defiantly put the car through the gears a few times once I start driving it again.

vms4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Re: anyone using oil additives?

Sounds like you're on the right track. The M1 or RP is fine. Wally World, 5qt jug, is the best price on M1 consistently, and you don't need to wait for it on sale. Plus in the 5qt jug it just makes the job easier. I only the run the RP in the track car because my oil reports say it takes the abuse of spinning the motor to 7K for 20-30 minute sessions and it just doesn't break down badly. For everyday use the M1 is a better price and performs just fine in the Caddy and the truck for daily use. Plus my truck has to tow my Vette to the track and doesn't complain. I do all my oil changes based on the engine oil life monitors in all 3 vehicles. GM did a pretty good job on that function.

You might want to try the SeaFoam in the oil before the change. While kerosene is the basis for most of this stuff, and will tear up sludge. The SeaFoam has a few added chemicals that might help you out on the sludge and cleaning the engine walls. Since it's you flush before just leaving the oil in there it might be worth it to you. Good luck.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Thanks for the info. I will defiantly use seafoam in the oil before I change the oil. I will defiantly have to look into bulk purchasing oil (SAMs club style).

I have never trusted the GM olm. I change it based on mileage. 3-5k per change is what I go by.

vms4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

I can appreciate that but if you track the mileage and watch the OLM, you might be surprised. Not to debate the oil thing since it is like religion. I don't do the 3-5K in anything using synthetic oil. You're just throwing good oil away. I even use the OLM in the track car, Z06. Never had a problem. Save yourself some money. If you're real paranoid change the filter twice but the oil once. You can keep your oil cleaner if it bothers you. Additive and viscosity wise you can go way past 5K. Send the oil out and get an oil analysis. You'll be surprised how good a shape it is in at 5K.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Jeez, dont suggest a UOA!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.