anyone using oil additives? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, anyone using oil additives? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; How do you use sea-foam? sorry not a car guy....
    MDR
    MDR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 5spd

Re: anyone using oil additives?

How do you use sea-foam? sorry not a car guy.

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    How do you use sea-foam? sorry not a car guy.
    Youtube it or go to their website... seafoam.com.

Quote Originally Posted by C66 Racing View Post
    SeaFoam is a brand name for a product similar to this offering from AMSOIL:
    AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush

Really only needed for an engine you believe may have sludge buildup, particularly if you are changing from conventional oil to synthetic in this situation. In general, synthetics have more detergents, and/or they are more naturally detergent, so for an engine that may have lots of sludge buildup, using a product to get the sludge out is needed. Alternative is the oil cleans the sludge out in use, the sludge blocks some vital oil path during operation, and bad things happen to the engine. For engines that have been well maintained with oil changes as required, this is almost never needed.

The reason i asked because it sounded like he was using it as an additive and not prior to an oil change. I know how/ why it works and what to use it for. Sorry for the confusion.

Sea foam can not be used as an additive to lube internal parts of a motor.
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    My car will be sitting for a month so, is lucas oil stabilizer a good idea for that? I'm using SeaFoam mixed with some fuel in the fuel tank while it is sitting for a bit...

ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs
    My 88 TSi sits for months at a time and the only thing I add to it is Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer during the winter. I have Sea Foamed before an oil change, but I added nothing but fresh oil to the engine.
    SHORTSTACK and SHORTSTACK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    My car will be sitting for a month so, is lucas oil stabilizer a good idea for that? I'm using SeaFoam mixed with some fuel in the fuel tank while it is sitting for a bit...
    Use sta-bil for the fuel. I would probably change the oil after it sits, dont put any additives in it.
    ShapeShifter and ShapeShifter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTSTACK
    Use sta-bil for the fuel. I would probably change the oil after it sits, dont put any additives in it.
    Ok cool. Thanks for the info. I'm only keeping a quarter tank in there while it sits for a month or so.

vms4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Bluehaze07 -

The motor that got chains replaced. What motor is that and what oil (brand and weight) was in it? How long does that particular car sit? Is it the one you are referring to with the gas stabilizer? More details please.

Adding stabilizer to the fuel of a car that sits long periods of time is good. Stops the fuel lines, pump, and tank from getting gummed up. That's just the nature of fuel if you let it sit. Synthetic oil, on the other hand, is nowhere near as bad. So for a car that is stored a lot. You just change the oil based on time, not mileage.

Another thing is that cars that sit a lot (garage queens). When they get started they need to be run out, not just around the block. The contaminant build up from moisture needs to be burned off. That means getting the engine to full temperature for a while. Oil needs to get to at least 180 degrees if not closer to 200 degrees. That also helps with sludge forming.

Sludge also is an oil byproduct and worse with certain brands. I've seen one popular brand get blamed for horrible sludge. It's formulation appears to create sludge quickly. I won't mention names as I'm not getting into a pissing contest on oil brands. Conventional oil will definitely sludge up faster than synthetic by its nature.

I wouldn't add "oil stabilizer" to anything I cared about. The quality of oil, in the better brands, over the past decade has come so far that additives are completely unnecessary.

On newer engines the tolerances for clearance etc on critical internal parts is so tight that even messing with oil weights can cause premature wear. If your car calls for 5W-30 all the time then just run that. Most people in this day and age just don't blow motors on daily drivers. There are always exceptions.

Btw, the simplest and cheapest oil flush material, kerosene. Which is the main ingredient in most of these "special" engine cleaners that remove sludge...
    SHORTSTACK and SHORTSTACK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr View Post
    Bluehaze07 -

The motor that got chains replaced. What motor is that and what oil (brand and weight) was in it? How long does that particular car sit? Is it the one you are referring to with the gas stabilizer? More details please.

Adding stabilizer to the fuel of a car that sits long periods of time is good. Stops the fuel lines, pump, and tank from getting gummed up. That's just the nature of fuel if you let it sit. Synthetic oil, on the other hand, is nowhere near as bad. So for a car that is stored a lot. You just change the oil based on time, not mileage.

Another thing is that cars that sit a lot (garage queens). When they get started they need to be run out, not just around the block. The contaminant build up from moisture needs to be burned off. That means getting the engine to full temperature for a while. Oil needs to get to at least 180 degrees if not closer to 200 degrees. That also helps with sludge forming.

Sludge also is an oil byproduct and worse with certain brands. I've seen one popular brand get blamed for horrible sludge. It's formulation appears to create sludge quickly. I won't mention names as I'm not getting into a pissing contest on oil brands. Conventional oil will definitely sludge up faster than synthetic by its nature.

I wouldn't add "oil stabilizer" to anything I cared about. The quality of oil, in the better brands, over the past decade has come so far that additives are completely unnecessary.

On newer engines the tolerances for clearance etc on critical internal parts is so tight that even messing with oil weights can cause premature wear. If your car calls for 5W-30 all the time then just run that. Most people in this day and age just don't blow motors on daily drivers. There are always exceptions.

Btw, the simplest and cheapest oil flush material, kerosene. Which is the main ingredient in most of these "special" engine cleaners that remove sludge...
    Hit the nail on the head with the kerosene. Not many people know about that. Good info you provided.

Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr View Post
    Bluehaze07 -

Hit the nail on the head with the kerosene. Not many people know about that. Good info you provided.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

A quart of tranny fluid added to the oil also works good. Just don't drive it too long or too hard before you do the oil change.
    Would that nameless company also be the one who's product used to result in what was called 'gray paint' ?

vms4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTSTACK View Post
    Thanks! And yes, on the kerosense, it's a secret, shhhh.... Those guys are making a killing selling kerosene for $10/pint .... lol

ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs
    The $8.98 x two pints I buy every year or so certainly aren't helping my local parts guys and their families Live The Life of Riley. Maybe so for the store owners and mostly certainly the owners of the product(s). But the small amount I spend for something like this is beneficial to helping the economy, especially of my neighborhood parts stores/businesses and it helps to give jobs to folks who need them. If were using this type of product daily and on a larger scale, then I would definitely be looking for a cheaper and more profitable alternative.

Just me, but I like giving back locally, and too often in the past have found myself driving to other locals and still end up spending a dollar while trying to save a dime.

sshields is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCVW
    I love to run lucas oil stabilizer in with my mobil1 personally. Stuff is thick and helps the viscosity of my oil last longer.
    Actually it doesn't help this vis or the TBN of the oil but it is thicker.

Double post!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.