Blacked Out HeadLights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Blacked Out HeadLights in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey pals, recently used VHT Night Shades to black out my tails and it turned out great. Now wanting to ...
    Mr Nix is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Blacked Out HeadLights

Hey pals, recently used VHT Night Shades to black out my tails and it turned out great. Now wanting to do my headlights. Slightly nervous about functionality of headlights afterwards. Has anyone every done this? Suggestions?

Thanks, Mr Nix

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k
    Slightly? Don't do it, well, if you only drive during the day, go ahead I guess...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Ever seen it done?

Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 3.6L Performance / Appearance 18" rims

Re: Blacked Out HeadLights

I ordered Xpel Headlight protection in "dark smoke" colour. Its thick vinyl that is applied with solution and squeegee.
    I haven't applied them yet - I just got a set of aftermarket dual-halo headlights so I might put them on the new ones.
    Anyway, this is just one option....

http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight_protection.asp

jamesdeann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 cts
    I've done them before, you take any type of automotive clear coat, ppg, chroma clear, etc. Add catalyst, and reducer. Then add black base to it, your going to want to add a little at a time. Make sure you have a piece of lexan for a test peice. Wet sand your headlights with 600 to 800 grit. And wash off residue with soap and water. Next wipe off with wax and grease remover, and spray. Remember even coats because the tinted clear is like a candy coat. The more you spray, the darker it will get. So i would do both headlights between coats. then finish off with a coat of clear non tinted to seal. Fifteen minutes after. Because you will need to wetsand and buff. You don't want to rub off the tint with a buffer. Two coats of clear should prevent this. Unless your a bad ass painter. Then no buffing necessary. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdeann
    I've done them before, you take any type of automotive clear coat, ppg, chroma clear, etc. Add catalyst, and reducer. Then add black base to it, your going to want to add a little at a time. Make sure you have a piece of lexan for a test peice. Wet sand your headlights with 600 to 800 grit. And wash off residue with soap and water. Next wipe off with wax and grease remover, and spray. Remember even coats because the tinted clear is like a candy coat. The more you spray, the darker it will get. So i would do both headlights between coats. then finish off with a coat of clear non tinted to seal. Fifteen minutes after. Because you will need to wetsand and buff. You don't want to rub off the tint with a buffer. Two coats of clear should prevent this. Unless your a bad ass painter. Then no buffing necessary. Hope this helps.
    Was your visibility decreased much?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiero
    I ordered Xpel Headlight protection in "dark smoke" colour. Its thick vinyl that is applied with solution and squeegee.
    I haven't applied them yet - I just got a set of aftermarket dual-halo headlights so I might put them on the new ones.
    Anyway, this is just one option....

http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight_protection.asp
    Where'd you get the dual halos?

just do a search on Ebay. They are manufactured by eagle eye (china?) but lots of distributors online.
    If you search the forums here you will see some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nix View Post
    Was your visibility decreased much?
    +1 This might be the best way to go - sounds easy to f-up tho.... What happed to your visibility using this method?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiero
    just do a search on Ebay. They are manufactured by eagle eye (china?) but lots of distributors online.
    If you search the forums here you will see some pictures.
    Those look good man. For sure

jamesdeann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 cts
    I usually do a smoke tint. It looks good and Visibility isn't too bad with hids. I would go with the vinyl, because once your lights are painted. There's no fixing. At least you can remove the vinyl if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdeann
    I usually do a smoke tint. It looks good and Visibility isn't too bad with hids. I would go with the vinyl, because once your lights are painted. There's no fixing. At least you can remove the vinyl if needed.
    Thank for advice. Very useful

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Im all for murdering out a vehicle. But the headlights is something i wouldn't consider due to the FACT that you will significantly lose light output. But there is a way around that, you can upgrade to a 55w or 100w hid kit. Be careful of the 100w, the mother fukker is like shining a bright ass spotlight in your eye. I have 100w hid kit for my cars high beams, they are very bright...

hey8you is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

I did mine with a light coat of VHT Night Shades and solved the problem with dim lights with 55w HIDs. If I knew about the vinyl, I would have used that.

Quote Originally Posted by hey8you
    I did mine with a light coat of VHT Night Shades and solved the problem with dim lights with 55w HIDs. If I knew about the vinyl, I would have used that.
    Exactly what I was looking for.. Did you go 6k or 8k?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.