Ummmm....Yea Catch cans work!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Ummmm....Yea Catch cans work! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys jus reporting in after 2500km of driving after installing my Moroso Oil catch can on my 05 3.6 ...
    Stuff_buster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

Ummmm....Yea Catch cans work!

Hey guys jus reporting in after 2500km of driving after installing my Moroso Oil catch can on my 05 3.6 caddy. Definatly satisfied with the results. Also check the pcv outlets going to the Intake plenum and they are bone dry. Now through me research i'v found that the moroso catch can does a better job with the filter media on the outlet side of the catch can removed. I have yet to try it out but ill hold off on it for now seeing that the outlet ends are dry.fred.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Ummmm....Yea Catch cans work!

Ok, soo it would appear that you have connected the catch can to the passenger side PV connection. To the catch can, and from the catch can to those two intake manifold connections?

What about the drivers side PV that goes directly to the tube from the air box? I'm sure that's sucking oil in too. This is one of the reasons why I haven't installed mine yet. Because I don't know which part that I want to install the catch can at.

I realize that just about everyone else is doing what you've done.

KOT

The driver side is the fresh air intake sidepcvsystem.gif as shown if the passenger side is vent is hindered the oil backs up onto the driver side. Search the pvc orifice fix in which people have drilled their Pvc orifice out to allow more venting

san2cci is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 3.6 CTS, Volant, V Exhaust, Hotchkis (SOLD!); 2010 2SS

Where do I purchase one of these catch cans? And how hard is the install?

I had the same problem finding a vendor that had one on hand. I wanted an RX catch can but I couldnt find a local vendor in toronto that had one.I bought mine from a local performance shop, i went in and they magically had one in stock so i bought it right away. 30 minute install taking my time to make sure its all right and sealed up. Basically Mount the catch can, cut the OEM pcv connection and insert tube. search the forumz or youtube for an install manual.

I'm definatly staying on the skeptical side keeping a close eye on things, ill be checking my throttle body soon to make sure the the pvc catch can isnt backing up the system pushing oil back through the driver side fresh air intake.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Call direct to order: 941-721-1826

And yes, remove the media from the side you are going to use for the outlet on the moroso can and it functions considerably beter as your not holding the oil right at the outlet.

To test any cans effectiveness, install a clear glass inline fuel filter between the cans outlet and the IM vacuum source. It wont take long to see how much oil most of these (Moroso included) let pass right through. All cans, even the empty ebay ones catch oil....the key is to catch ALL of it.

Now on to the clean side. The V6 draws the filtered fresh air in through the tube connected to the air box and the rear of the drivers sode valve cover.

At WOT cars with blow by issues will ingest oil in this path as well. Not near as much as the dirty side, but at WOT there is almost no bvacuum present to continue evacuation and some reversion, or backflow will occur. If you have clean side ingestion as well (upstream of the TB...reach in the air intake tube with a clean paper towel and see if there is oil present) you will need to delete the fresh air tube and cap both barbs where it was connected, and then replace the oil fill cap with a flow controlling checkvalved breather so the flow is not excessive causing fuel trim issues. Only RX offer them calibrated to the engines displacement. (more flow for v8 than v6). It also prevents oil vapors from venting into the engine compartment.

Best bet if you have the DI motor is to remove the TB and the plenum cover on the IM and wipe all existing oil out. Use brake clean on the TB. Then remove and check 500 miles or so down the road to see how effective a can is.

This is what you will see w/no can and most ineffective cans that let oil pull through:

Next picture below shows no can on the right, RX can since new on the left:

Picture_2_c.jpgSC2150 all i can say is "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" lmao rage comic. I spent $200 on the Moroso. Wish i got an RX. Anybody running a moroso that can comfort me? lol SC2150 if u give me a local shop in toronto that has your products i will go buy one right away! U can call me weird....i was never an ordering online or on the phone type of guy ,

lmao ill prolly sell the moroso catch can to one of the guys on the Camaro forumz i think iv seen a couple of your posts on there lol

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    Call direct to order: 941-721-1826

And yes, remove the media from the side you are going to use for the outlet on the moroso can and it functions considerably beter as your not holding the oil right at the outlet.

To test any cans effectiveness, install a clear glass inline fuel filter between the cans outlet and the IM vacuum source. It wont take long to see how much oil most of these (Moroso included) let pass right through. All cans, even the empty ebay ones catch oil....the key is to catch ALL of it.

Now on to the clean side. The V6 draws the filtered fresh air in through the tube connected to the air box and the rear of the drivers sode valve cover.

At WOT cars with blow by issues will ingest oil in this path as well. Not near as much as the dirty side, but at WOT there is almost no bvacuum present to continue evacuation and some reversion, or backflow will occur. If you have clean side ingestion as well (upstream of the TB...reach in the air intake tube with a clean paper towel and see if there is oil present) you will need to delete the fresh air tube and cap both barbs where it was connected, and then replace the oil fill cap with a flow controlling checkvalved breather so the flow is not excessive causing fuel trim issues. Only RX offer them calibrated to the engines displacement. (more flow for v8 than v6). It also prevents oil vapors from venting into the engine compartment.

Best bet if you have the DI motor is to remove the TB and the plenum cover on the IM and wipe all existing oil out. Use brake clean on the TB. Then remove and check 500 miles or so down the road to see how effective a can is.

This is what you will see w/no can and most ineffective cans that let oil pull through:

Next picture below shows no can on the right, RX can since new on the left:

delete
    Attached Images

We ship to Canada on a single product basis, but it is a hassel for the curtoms, etc. with stocking orders. There are a few dealers of ours in Canada thogh....give me a trusted shop name near you and have them email us: RXProducts@aol.com

to become a dealer.

But, the Moroso can like your using it is FAR better than no can or a empty ebay can.

lmao thanks for the comfort comment SC2150 the shop that i bought the Moroso is Performance improvements ill be goin over there within the week and giving your email. Thanks allot bud ill be getting the rx can with the oil cap vent set-up

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

I'll be checking the PI sales flyer closely from now on to see if they start stocking them.
    Might help to send an email direct to Bob McJannet & put a bug in his ear.

yea i dont know why they stock moroso but not rx?
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

ProudCaddyDaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"

So, are these oil catch cans supposed to cut down, or even eliminate the oil consumption that the CTS' have?
    Or are they more to just prevent oil from getting into the engine?

More to stop the oil ingestion into the intake air charge.

The oil ingestion is an issue all modern cars and light trucks today have and has the negative effects posted in several threads here (just search my other posts for more details).

The consumption issues are mainly poor ring seating and the excess blowby caused by it as well as the clogging of the fixed orfice holes which are to small to begin with.

But the oil separating catchcans do not cure the consumption, they prevent the gunk build up on the vales and the detonation the oil contaimination causes resulting in poor power and fuel economy.

ProudCaddyDaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"

Thanks for the expalnation

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.