Need new wheel bearing. please help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Need new wheel bearing. please help in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So my abs/traction lights have been acting up lately.. took it to the stealership and they said my front right ...
    roma604 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

Need new wheel bearing. please help

So my abs/traction lights have been acting up lately.. took it to the stealership and they said my front right wheel bearing needs to be replaced. they said when they replace the bearings, 90% of the time the harness needs to be replaced too.. is this true??!?

..also my coolant was running low so i asked them to do pressure test and sure enough my water pump is leaking.. sooo they wanted to fix everything for a grand total of $1431.46........ LOL.. so i walked out with the list of things i needed.

Wheel bearing: #12413071
    Wheel speed harness: #10340314
    Water Pump: #12645176

soo i did some digging on the forums and been reading that a lot of people are changing both the right and left wheel bearings at the same time.. is this really necessary?? i found all my parts on rockauto.com and i really want to order today so i can get everything fixed before more damage is done as this car is my daily driver.. please and thank-you for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Re: Need new wheel bearing. please help

Always best to replace in pairs, if you replace one you put stress on the older component causing it to fail more rapidly so replace in pairs
    I guess there is some logic behind the harness, probably just in-case its that rather than the bearing and part of the course, if its not to expensive may as well get one, one more new part for the car.
    for around $700 you could replace most of that saving $731 labour costs lol

Thanks for the response CTSUK, i am going to go ahead and do both... i did a lot of reading and found that it is best that i just go ahead and change both bearings. then i shopped around and read all my different options for parts and came up with this..

Bought acdelco water pump and 2 acdelco harness's off rock auto for $286
    2 'Timken' Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly's off ebay for $320

Saved so much money going this route.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by roma604
    Thanks for the response CTSUK, i am going to go ahead and do both... i did a lot of reading and found that it is best that i just go ahead and change both bearings. then i shopped around and read all my different options for parts and came up with this..

Bought acdelco water pump and 2 acdelco harness's off rock auto for $286
    2 'Timken' Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly's off ebay for $320

Saved so much money going this route.
    I have a question. Doesn't the wheel hub assembly come with the abs harness?

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

no they don't, its separate to the hub, can always try it without swapping it and then if its an issue order the harness.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    I have a question. Doesn't the wheel hub assembly come with the abs harness?
    It does come with the short wheel harness, I assumed they were talking about the chassis harness.
    I didn't know they were prone to failure, never had to replace one.

74chvy glasshouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 , 74 chevy caprice

Sothe abs tractionlite acting up is a sign of baf wheelbearings

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 74chvy glasshouse
    Sothe abs tractionlite acting up is a sign of baf wheelbearings
    ABS and the TC isn't a sign of just a bad wheel bearing. The ABS and TC light are triggered when everything isn't meeting the given perameters of the EBCM for the ABS system to work properly.

ya it was more than just my bearing.. they scanned my car and got the following codes: C0253/C0221/C0040/C0041/C0042

no idea what any of them mean... but this is what it says here on the sheet. 'tech finds RF sensor not registering at low speeds(sensor) and dropping out on turns(harness). Steering not centered code stored in history - performed re-centering procedure - code cleared.'

anyways all my parts are in transit right now, i'll update once i get them installed.

------

edit: just found this site with all the codes http://www.southwestcadillac.com/?p=13

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

roma, isn't this the car that was stolen awhile ago ?

If so, is it possible to get your insurance to cover this as collateral damage from that ?
    If not please disregard.

Firewalker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6l

Are you planning on doing the install yourself? If so...it would be a great time for someone "cough" to do a "how to change your water pump tutorial!" haha

yes it is.. i tried to get them to do it but they wouldn't... said my car is 5 years old and the bearings/water pump are things that go bad, i was not happy but oh well, cant do anything now........

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post
    roma, isn't this the car that was stolen awhile ago ?

If so, is it possible to get your insurance to cover this as collateral damage from that ?
    If not please disregard.

Sorry, im getting my dad's friend who is a mechanic to do it.. i don't have the proper tools or the know-how to do the bearings or water pump lol.. droppin my car off on friday at his house before work.. all my stuff from rockauto came yesterday so i'll have the water pump fixed first.. just waiting on my wheel bearings from ebay to come.. hopefully they get here by friday so i could get everything done.

Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
    Are you planning on doing the install yourself? If so...it would be a great time for someone "cough" to do a "how to change your water pump tutorial!" haha

jmtz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Hey roma how much did you get charged for the code readings. Or was it covered under ur warranty

----------

Hey there I hope you can help me I have that problems where my ABC and TC kick in every day. Sometimes the breaks get hard and it takes between 1 and 2 seconds before a complete stop. I Could never get any codes Now I've noticed that when I start the car and I turn the steering wheel to one side and back( with the car still on parking) the ABS/TC kick in and once threyre on I dont have to deal with that until next time I turn the car on. I was about to buy the front wheel hub to try that on both sides in case it was the wheel speed sensor causing the trouble. But then I saw something about the steering position sensor posted. Any ideas??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.