New owner, I think it's the CPS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, New owner, I think it's the CPS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello, I know it's tactless to jump on a forum and ask questions, but I'm in a bind... I just ...
    omniscientgregg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS luxury package in Sappire blue

New owner, I think it's the CPS

Hello, I know it's tactless to jump on a forum and ask questions, but I'm in a bind...

I just bought a 2003 Caddy CTS, everything worked fine until three weeks ago. It would just click and not start. So I jumped started it and it started just fine. Two days later I went to go for a drive and same thing. Jump started it again and it worked fine, so okay I took it down to autozone and had the battery load tested and it was fine. a few days later I got in, went a few miles to the grocery store, worked fine came out and blam same issue. Jump started it and took it to autozone had a full start test done. Battery checked out great, starter was pulling 260 amps, so I changed that today (not an easy task lol). It appeared to work fine, drove it, parked it, started it, turned it off, turned it on; fine. Later went to try it again and same thing, click... click.. click. However, I haven't had it stall on me while driving. Am I right or should I look somewhere else? Thanks for any help, I'd like to get this ordered and fixed. Whatever it is.

I'm just going to throw it out there, if it is the CPS. I'm going to be less than happy. I just spent 3.5 hours changing my stupid starter and it cost me 200$ where as this sensor is 40$ and it's a plug... You have to drop the exhaust to remove the starter, seriously GM? You do some wacky stuff. Amazing, innovative and beautiful, but wacky...

Other than that, I'm happy with the car, it's the luxury package with metallic blue sapphire tint coat, natural leather and zebra wood interior. 95k miles, always serviced at the dealership and very clean. I just replaced the stock grill with upper and lower billet aluminum, after I sort this issue I'm adding (in this order) tint, the dove tail spoiler, led tail lights, new headlights, and eventually stepping up to 18" rims. I get mad attention in this whip. More than my 77 vette'. I was pulled over 3 times in the first week I owned the car. First time the cop was a super douche and he searched my car. Seriously searched it, took my things out, lined them up on the road and searched. He found my secret stash of left over belly button line and dust bunnies. lmfao. One ticket to date. For speeding lol... It's a sweet car, definitely lives up to the title "wolf in sheep's clothing". I was in high school when this car came out and I've always wanted the 03 because of it's extremely angular body.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Re: New owner, I think it's the CPS

I have no insight to your problem. On the other hand welcome to the site. Dont worry about tactless, forums are here for help/ mods etc.....

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    If it was a CPS the engine will just continue to turn over until computer times cranking out for no start condition. All it does is fail to send signal to the ECU for the spark signal to the coil packs.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

How old is the battery and how many CCA is it. Remember a hot engine is harder to start than a cold engine. I'd replace the battery and be sure it's 800 CCA or more. I was able to get the Die Hard in there for $100.

I'm not certain of the age. Like I said, I just bought it about a month ago. The battery doesn't have a date on it, but it looks very new. And it does this when the car is cold. I'm having autozone do a full discharge and recharge in hopes that it'll show a dead cell. My next move is going to be cable replacement since it doesn't sound like the sensor. My on board is showing 9.8 volts when I tried to start it up this morning, at autozone it showed 12.2. Other than that I'm really out of ideas. If it persists, does anyone have any other ideas or know of a good mechanic for the electrical system in the Apple Valley CA area?

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package

I had the exact same problem at one point had the starter replaced still did it. After being in the shop several times the problem was finally found. The console on the roof that controls the reading lamps, dimmer switch, and sunroof was randomly pulling a current when it felt like it pretty much draining the battery so I ordered a new one from gm parts direct waited close to a month to receive it but in the mean time I unplugged all the plugs inside and since then never had the car die overnight again. I'll look up the part number and post back after I find it and Cadillac can verify that this part does cause an intermittent power drain.

Part number is 19149454

Can you shoot me in the right direction to disconnect the lamps? And I'll try that. Thank you for your help.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ease-help.html

In this link I posted a picture that shows the backside of the console and circled the clips that hold it in place you will be able to see the plugs once it's pulled down. You will lose all functions to sunroof and reading lamps until the new part is installed though.

Thanks again for your insight and information. I'm going to try this.

However, the new starter I put in yesterday morning won't disengage from the flywheel. Super bumed. 4 day wait for a replacement and 3 hours to remove and install the new one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.