Slippery rain and a rear wheel drive car don"t mix(pics) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Slippery rain and a rear wheel drive car don"t mix(pics) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by ghettomike In a cts4 (or other awd car) you can turn at higher speeds in reduced traction ...
    454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Re: Slippery rain and a rear wheel drive car don"t mix(pics)

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    In a cts4 (or other awd car) you can turn at higher speeds in reduced traction road conditions without loosing the ass end of your car as easily while on the gas.
    If you are decelerating or free wheeling then it doesn't make a diference.
    I guess the OP should've learned that you're not supposed to accelerate THROUGH a corner, then.

And yeah, all that other stuff you're talking about doesn't apply at all to city driving, except for the snow stuff. But with decent snow tires, even a base CTS won't have trouble getting around normal city streets - SF excepted.

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

In a cts4 (or other awd car) you can turn at higher speeds in reduced traction road conditions without loosing the ass end of your car as easily while on the gas.
    If you are decelerating or free wheeling then it doesn't make a diference.

You can have all the power in the world you want for any rwd car, bottom line is to drift in snow you still need traction, so a high speed drift (in a safe and controlled area) the awd with substancial power (say a cts4) will out drift a cts-v...especially if both are on stock tires...don't the v's come with summer only tires?
    Dry pavement in the summer is a diferent story...I wouldn't dream of drifting a awd in the summer unless the road is soaked by a firehose.
    We had 2 pro drivers at my college from porsche come in and drenched a parkinglot. They took all the students for a ride....saideways! They do it almost every year...one car was a company demo and I remember when they showed up they pulled a babyseat out of it before giving the keys to the pro driver

Good tires are key for every car, different drivelines do diferent things. Fwd can e-brake drift...try that in rwd and you aren't going anywhere. Its all about diferent techniques.

There is not a front wheel drive car in the world that drifts (in the f1 series)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_%28motorsport%29

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by ham4864 View Post
    Thanks for all the people who know the condition just from looking at pics and knew the condition of the roads when the accident happened.
    Tires are good,yes the car and grass is wet not the wet grass stuck all over the car. I didn't say it was a monsoon out. But thanks yes i am ok. This is my first accident in 37 years. So i good. Its only a car. My grand prix handles better.
    How can it be your first 'accident' in 37 yrs. if you're only 36 yrs. old ?

......and Ya, where are the pics ?...........

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Ok, I'm going to come out and say that I'm sorry you had an accident, and I'm glad you are ok.

But now sorry dude... I drive a CTS-V as my DD in NYC in rain, snow, etc... I don't see how you could be blaming RWD for any accident. I'd blame driver first and foremost. Maybe tires second, but driver first.

People get too comfortable driving in straight lines and think they can "Gran Turismo 5" their way out of situations. Your tires are rubber at the end of the day, and rain and rubber make for a slippery combo... I don't care what tires you have. I had a pair of DWS tires that I loved in the rain, but never would I be trying to take corners any faster then 5mph under recommended speed in the rain. I have nothing to prove by eating a wall or endangering others lives, or losing the car I actually like to drive.

AWD doesn't make you Ken Block either... I've seen an Evo X get stuck in the snow during a blizzard.

No amount of advanced electronics or drivetrain system will ever trump over driver adequacy.
    So before blaming RWD, blame your own habits and driving.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Lzr
    Lzr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS - 3.6L, perf pkg, RX catch can, Vmax Ice, Volant CAI

any canadian will tell you
    whose in the ditch when driving in a snow storm... most of the time awd, they think they're invincible and end up in the ditch.
    Y3E, Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Lzr View Post
    any canadian will tell you
    whose in the ditch when driving in a snow storm... most of the time awd, they think they're invincible and end up in the ditch.
    Soo true...
    When I lived in barrie it would be all suv's in the ditch on the highway 400. Locals took sideroads that were last to get cleared...less bad drivers on them.
    I remember pulling up to a smart car in the plaza and i asked the guyif he ever got stuck..he said well its low butive got snow tires....i was driving in 4x4. In my truck that day lol

Od is right. But even with my fk452 I can accelerate in wet or damp roads on highway ramps. I'm a cautious. Driver and know my cars limts...but I also drive 20"rims on dirt roads with v sways and eibach springs...so maybe I'm missing a screw or 2
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Steer from the rear brother, that's how its done soon as you feel it slip get that opposite lock on or well the pictures show you what happens lol.
    SHORTSTACK and SHORTSTACK like this.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by CTSUK View Post
    Steer from the rear brother, that's how its done soon as you feel it slip get that opposite lock on or well the pictures show you what happens lol.
    when the wheels start slipping you do NOT hit the brakes. better to ride it out.

guys, shit happens. maybe the OP is on his first rwd vehicle, maybe there was oil on the road as well which caused it to be even more slippery.
    just the other day i was riding my bike home from work and while stopped waiting for a train to pass i put my foot down and couldnt believe how slippery the DRY PAVEMENT was. pure oil and grime and its a fairly new road (2 years maybe) when it rains it brings out oils even more.
    bottom line hes ok, metal can be fixed and he should invest in some new tires with stiffer sidewalls and maybe upgrade the sway bars.

actually..the car damage doesnt even look that bad.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

when the wheels start slipping you do NOT hit the brakes. better to ride it out.

guys, shit happens. maybe the OP is on his first rwd vehicle, maybe there was oil on the road as well which caused it to be even more slippery.
    just the other day i was riding my bike home from work and while stopped waiting for a train to pass i put my foot down and couldnt believe how slippery the DRY PAVEMENT was. pure oil and grime and its a fairly new road (2 years maybe) when it rains it brings out oils even more.
    bottom line hes ok, metal can be fixed and he should invest in some new tires with stiffer sidewalls and maybe upgrade the sway bars.

actually..the car damage doesnt even look that bad.
    The previous poster didnt say anything about brakes. He said 'steer from the rear'...'opposite lock'...hes talking about steering inputs.
    Upgrading the sway bars isnt a good idea if hes trying to make the rear less prone to rotate. Hed have to upgrade the front sway bar only. All sway bar kits (front + rear) that Ive seen increase oversteer.
    CTSUK and CTSUK like this.

Didn't mention anything about brakes there sir, only opposite lock and fight the beast that is gravity
    Its simple driver error, no good blaming the car or parts on it and going awd.
    I've had mine sideways a few times but have always been able to bring it back into control even in the wet, probably something to do with me forcing the car to do this when I'm alone and I have a wide open space and lots of rain away from public danger (we have plenty of rain in the uk currently and we have an airfield unused close by).
    Its not jackassing around its finding a way to get yourself out of the frying pan when the fire comes.
    If you don't know how to control a rear wheel drive car your asking for trouble, these cars handle well for rwd, but try doing the same corner with a 1982 pontiac firebird, you would have probably flipped over if you don't correct it in time, if you push the limit and cant bring it back dont push it.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    I wonder if he will ever post again after this...ham4864 (MIA) "never forgotten"

ham4864 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

why not?? shit happens
    plus that guy practiced that. A real life event is not practice.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

One year later... LOL Welcome back
    Yeah, it does happen and you're right... real life event catches you by surprise, but every little bit of practice does help

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by odthetruth View Post
    One year later... LOL Welcome back
    Yeah, it does happen and you're right... real life event catches you by surprise, but every little bit of practice does help
    Which is why I love empty parking lots that haven't been plowed after a snow storm. It makes for a great practice area.

KOT

I've had some hairy arse moments on motorways (you guys call them freeways! tomato, tamarto potato, patarto! ) but easing off always brings the control back.
    Practice helps, if your inexperienced in how to control a car in a skid, the immediate reaction is to hit the stop pedal, which in most cases in rain will cause you to gain momentum rather than slowing you down, if i was riding round in a robin reliant I wouldn't need to practice because it can barely hit 50mph, these cars can and will hit 150mph if pushed, its how far you push them and how much experience you have that keeps you out of harms way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.