Traction Control light and stuck on park (searched forums but still need some advice)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Traction Control light and stuck on park (searched forums but still need some advice) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello everyone! Yesterday my Traction Control light came on. Ignoring it, I took a 5 minute drive and parked my ...
    Keviardi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond CTS Luxury/Sport

Traction Control light and stuck on park (searched forums but still need some advice)

Hello everyone!

Yesterday my Traction Control light came on. Ignoring it, I took a 5 minute drive and parked my car. From then, I couldn't get it out of park. The shift stick was stuck. I turned the car off, and quickly shift it to drive or reverse and that works and seems to be the way how I still travel.

If I turn the car on, and wait a few seconds, it will remain stuck. Basically I have to quickly change gears after turning the car on.

So after reading through some old posts on the forums, a few suggestions were to change out the brake lights. Then I found someone mentioning a bad battery could have caused this.

"I had same problem a week ago, replaced two ecm units, turns out the battery was putting out too many amps. Check battery, make sure you have correct one, replace ecm, if your battery fried it."
    So I remembered a few weeks back while on the road, I made a right turn and my car just went dead with the battery light on. Panicking, I turned the car off and back on, and it drove fine, even to today.

I know to some of you it's an obviously answer, but I'm trying to narrow down the problem. Do you guys think my battery is bad and it's causing the TC problem? The reason I ask is, since it's an old car I just assume a problem is just a random problem (not a bright answer).

Thanks for the read and I do appreciate any advice on this.

Summary:
    -Traction Control light on
    -Stuck on park
    -Battery light came on couple weeks back, but only once
    -New ECM changed months ago
    -Disconnecting battery doesn't work

***Also, not sure if this is related, but lately I have to step on the gas for the car to start after refilling the tank. I was thinking fuel filter? or related problem?***

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Re: Traction Control light and stuck on park (searched forums but still need some adv

while i was fiddling about trying to find the reverse sense wire for my pioneer head unit I unplugged a harness below the shifter and after that was unplugged you couldnt shift it from park or nothing, my best guess would be its something related to that circuit, I know you have to press the brake to get out of park so I would think some form of faulty switch/relay, check all fuses and relays, always a good start.

Re: Traction Control light and stuck on park (searched forums but still need some adv

I'll try my best of my ability. I'm not good at fixing cars and that's a big disadvantage of mine.

Ill check the fuse. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just decided to have someone get in the driver seat while I looked at the tail lights, and no matter what gear, braking or not, my brake lights (tail lights) were always on (both top and bottom bulb). Is this a result of a bad bulb? My only functioning light was the middle brake light above the license plate.

UPADATE

It's the bulb. Changed it and works fine now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.