Trying to solve a vibration issue for a year now
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Trying to solve a vibration issue for a year now in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have been trying to solve this issue for a long time and am putting this out there in case ...
    caddyshack33 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS 3.2 5-spd Manual

Trying to solve a vibration issue for a year now

I have been trying to solve this issue for a long time and am putting this out there in case someone had the problem and found a solution. I have searched the forums and tried multiple solutions that helped other people, but they didn't help me.

stats on the car: 103k miles currently (but problem has been around since at least 90,000 miles or so), 3.2L 5-speed

Problem: Vibration between 45-60 MPH -- goes away above 60-65. Steering wheel shakes side-to-side. It is independent of load, as putting the car into neutral does not correct the problem.

Here is what I've inspected/tried, which is why I am at a loss:

NOT a balancing issue (tried Hunter Road Force, other balancing -- at least 6 times in the last year--no change).
    NOT alignment -- also tried multiple times in the last year
    NOT a tire issue (whether tires rotated front/back, same issue--even replaced a pair--no change).
    NOT a wheel-out-of-round
    NOT a rotor/brake issue (brand new rotors, same problem)
    Does not seem to be a wheel bearing as there is no whirring.
    Not that this should do anything, but the sway bar links were also recently replaced (no change)
    Rack & Pinion had a leak, since sealed --not sure if that could be the culprit.
    Lower/Upper Control Arms replaced under warranty about 40K miles ago -- the failure of these control arms created a different type of symptom than the vibration, which makes me think this is not a culprit.
    NOT a driveshaft/transmission mount issue
    Motor Mounts are OK

So what does this leave that I have not yet covered? I am at a loss and feel like I've exhausted the usual and unusual suspects and am at my wits end about the problem.

If anyone has gone down the road of trying to fix this problem and been successful, your help would be most appreciated as I'm not sure where to turn next.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Tire pressure should be at 30psi, double check door sill.

Possible tie rod end(s). Best way to check this, jack the car up and jerk the wheel side to side. A little play is allowed, but not an over abundance.

Even though this is a front end problem, the drive shaft can still put vibrations through the car even when in neutral. Just so that you know that.

KOT

DaveAFlave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 3.2 2003

Re: Trying to solve a vibration issue for a year now

Driving to a friends tonight the same problem happened to me. Only difference is that my driver side front wheel was excessively hot. So I left the car at his house. Plan on going there and checking out the break in the morning. I Assume thats the problem?

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Yes Dave if your front wheels getting hot on one side your calliper piston is stuck on so calliper assembly will want to be replaced, be sure before you do though to check that none of the wires of pipes relating to that calliper have not got bent or pinched, this can cause that kinda problem too.

Id go with KOT on this one, worn track or tie rod ends mean that the wheels have some free movement, I've got to get mine replaced as it has a similar issue.

74chvy glasshouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 , 74 chevy caprice

i wonder if thats wrong with mine a little shimmy fom 65 to 75 from driver side could it be arms?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. It turns out that my tires had to be rebalanced (again) on the hunter road force and now all is well. I had these tires balanced multiple times, but the skill and dedication of the tech this time really made a difference. Fortunately, the place didnt charge me because they acknowledge that I had been there before on the same issue. The tie rod ends were fine. This is my first caddy and I never had so many strange vibration problems (this was just the most recent). I had the same problem with my calipers heating up and causing vibration last year. Replacement fixed that problem, too. love this car but she is picky!

Hi guys, hate to ressurect this thread but the hunter road force balancing didn't solve the issue. Now i am back to square one. Had my shop check the wheels again and they weren't unbalanced--not sure why the problem seemed to subside at first but I think it's because it is intermittent. Example, i drive the car to work, no shaking. Drive home at the end of the day, now it's shaking. Some days are ok, but most are not.

Shop re-checked the wheels for being out of round, nothing out of spec. Tires OK too.

Is this a problem with the engineering of the cts? My mechanic swears he took out a brand new 2013 with a shaking issue, but he's at a loss on where to turn next. Any other ideas? Tie rods are ok, too. Would an unbalanced driveshaft cause the issue? Maybe this driveshaft has been bad from the factory and that's why my oem coupler got torn up After only 40k on this driveshaft (replaced it with creative steel).

With 111k, whether or not I can fix this will make or break whether I keep the car another couple years. I know some expensive maintenance items will be needed over the next couple years with this mileage, so I need to fix this (cant really live with the problem). Open to any ideas.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Does it matter what gear \ RPM you are in?
    Have you live scanned to see if this is an intermittent misfire in the block, which wouldn't throw any codes but would cause a shaking.
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Firewalker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6l

I had the EXACT problem. It ended up being two loose bolts on the guibo. My caddy dealer replaced those bolts, torqued them to correct specs and it was finally smooth sailing. Note, I had crawled under the car and looked at that mount but it looked fine. My point being, it wasn't obvious from looking at it. It seems you have tried everything else, I am betting that your problem is loose bolts on your guibo! Good luck, let me know if that smooths out your ride.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

We're glad that you were able to get the vibration issue resolved with your CTS, Firewalker! Have a great new year!
    Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Odthetruth, no it doesnt matter, regarding gear/rpm, but it is definitely speed dependent. Will still shake/shimmy 55-70 in neutral, 4th, 5th, clutch depressed, clutch engaged, etc. whats strange is that it wont always do it, but once it does, it keeps going. Very odd .

On the guibo, thanks for that tip! Will check out to see if the bolts are proper. Guibo was replaced, but maybe it wasnt tweaked just right (unfortunately, i noticed no change before/after new guibo).

Will check that out and the misfires, too. Thanks for the help, guys.

----------

Thanks for the tips, guys. Will check the guibo (its new, but maybe wasnt tweaked right--never noticed a change before/after). Will check misfires, too. The shaking/shimmy is speed dependent, but not rpm dependent. It shakes 55-70 mph but doesnt matter what gear, neutral, clutch depressed or engaged, etc. will check this put and get back. Very frustrating problem overall.

Jaxle67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts
    I see that you have had your tires checked. I used to work at a shop that did all of our balancing and truing of the tires on the vehicle. I realize that they should be perfectly machined and the you're should be round even you buy them but that is not always the case. Ive seen tires and wheels measure within specs s long as they are mounted on the tire machine but shore out of round as soon as they are bolted back on the car. Have a shop that's capable of checking the balance on the car. If they can do that then they can certainly see if a tourer is out of round on the vehicle as well. We used to do a lot of truing the tire a and balancing them on the vehicle with outstanding results. Sometimes its not the tire or the wheel that's causes out to be out. It can also be the hub or maybe the studs that hadn't been machined correctly. this may not your problem but its worth a mention. I had a tourer on my cts that had a slight out of roundness to it so i took it to my buddies shop. He let me tru and balance all my tires on the car and rides smooth a silk. Just a idea for you to look into. Maynot be your issue but i thought id let you know about it. Jesse

----------

Please disregard the spelling mistakes its early for me and obviously spell check isn't helping on my phone. Good luck. Jesse

Firewalker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6l

Keep in mind that if the vibration is occurring at approximately the same speed, regardless of clutch position and gear then it stands to reason that the problem is somewhere along your drive shaft. Considering that tires are always experiencing different variables such as temperature, pressure, road conditions etc. I read where you did replace your guibo but possibly it wasn't shimmed and is at a slight angle causing vibrations at speed. It certainly looks like you have done due diligence in chasing this vibration, I am still convinced it is your guibo. I remember reading other threads where members had installed the creative steel guibo with mixed results. So, not to beat it to death, I am still convinced that your problem is there. If it were mine, I would get it on a lift, uninstall the guibo, examine it closely and re-install it, ensuring that it is shimmed if necessary to achieve proper alignment. It could just be slightly off causing the vibs.

Good luck, let us know what you find out. I HATE vibrations and noises in my car, I have a little (a lot) OCD and it simply irritates me to no end. I was super happy when I finally got rid of that vibration.

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

ive been having a vibration issue, feels like a wheel is out of balance... turns out that my drive shaft center support/ carrier bearing (whatever you wanna call it), the rubber bushing that surrounds the bearing is toast. its causing a wobbling effect with the drive shaft. it might be worth your time to crawl under there and look at it. its right in the middle of the drive shaft where the two meet.

Scattilac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 Black on Black 1SC

Quote Originally Posted by caddyshack33 View Post
    Hi guys, hate to ressurect this thread but the hunter road force balancing didn't solve the issue. Now i am back to square one. Had my shop check the wheels again and they weren't unbalanced--not sure why the problem seemed to subside at first but I think it's because it is intermittent. Example, i drive the car to work, no shaking. Drive home at the end of the day, now it's shaking. Some days are ok, but most are not.

Shop re-checked the wheels for being out of round, nothing out of spec. Tires OK too.

Is this a problem with the engineering of the cts? My mechanic swears he took out a brand new 2013 with a shaking issue, but he's at a loss on where to turn next. Any other ideas? Tie rods are ok, too. Would an unbalanced driveshaft cause the issue? Maybe this driveshaft has been bad from the factory and that's why my oem coupler got torn up After only 40k on this driveshaft (replaced it with creative steel).

With 111k, whether or not I can fix this will make or break whether I keep the car another couple years. I know some expensive maintenance items will be needed over the next couple years with this mileage, so I need to fix this (cant really live with the problem). Open to any ideas.
    I had the exact same issue, same mile per hour range, identical to the T - went through everything you describe and FINALLY - One of the guys at the dealership running the road force machine some how realized that my tire had a broken belt internally causing all the vibration at certain speeds - I put two new tires on the front (because never do one obviously) and had everything balanced and never had the issue again - buy tires man, or you will lose your mind...EDIT- Damn, just realized you did say you replaced tires already, sorry....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.