Flex disc help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By Thyine
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Flex disc help in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi everyone I bought a used 05 (LY6, MV1)last month and was very happy with it, until one day after ...
    Thyine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Flex disc help

Hi everyone I bought a used 05 (LY6, MV1)last month and was very happy with it, until one day after a few stop light sprints I notice a buzzing rattle from under the car and I think "great I broke my new toy" so I slide underneath to source the problem (cracked weld on exhaust shielding) and I noticed my front flex disc was shot... I think no problem I changed them on my old MB...Ha!... So after the abundance of info here on the forum I settle in on a pair of the CS couplers. I switch out the front one (back is in good shape) drop the car and go for a spin and instantly the car is vibrating and there is a shudder under certain loads. I made quite a bit of angle adjustments after which helped a lot.. passengers wont really notice the vibrations but I feel it in the wheel and shifter, there is still a slight shudder if you accelerate hard,but now its started squeaking.. sounds like the ujoint is bad I dont think its the center bearing, it chirps like a bird increasing with speed but not under all loads. Could I have slipped a spline without noticing? Car is smooth and silent coasting in neutral. I'm stumped, there were no issues before the swap. I just got the "clunk" when going into gear, Any one have any ideas before I bite the bullet and pick up a new drive shaft? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bubba1228 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

Re: Flex disc help

Thanks but I'm pretty sure buying anything from douchebag parts is a no no here on the forum... they
    even came up with a fake GM part # (they raised their prices too! Wtf C.S. is only $200 a pair) and like I said I already replaced it with the Creative Steel one so I'm not in need of the part.

newy0rktrini is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I had the same issue. It turned out to be that the driveshaft wasn't seat right and after it was seated properly the bolts had to be tightened. I have the creative steel coupler for the front and back. It should be a simple fix.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

bubba's new around here... go easy on him

as for your problem i really don't have any ideas ... it's one of those things that an expert has to look at, feel, touch, drive, etc

good luck
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L / 09 CBR 600rr - Bazzaz tuned

go with creative steel
    i know they fit because i took mine off, made a device mould out of it, locked it all up and shipped it back to him.
    i also checked the 03 3.2L against the 04 3.6L bushing. they are the same size, but slightly different design. they should be interchangeable .

Argent1 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

They look pretty sketchy in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by newy0rktrini View Post
    I had the same issue. It turned out to be that the driveshaft wasn't seat right and after it was seated properly the bolts had to be tightened. I have the creative steel coupler for the front and back. It should be a simple fix.
    Are you referring to the 3 pilots on each side? I put them in the yokes..I'll try loosening and re-torquing them

I cheated a little because I did all the work then complained to my mechanic about the rattle and he said he would look at it. 5 minutes later, I was good. I think because I was restricted on space to put some power behind the lugs, it was loose enough to rattle

bubba1228 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

I bought a set of the revshift couplers and had the same issue squeeking creaking and vibration no matter how i shimmed them. I will stick with stock or as close to it as I can. Just my opinion though.

I wouldn't knock them because I have them on my car and they work fine when installed properly. Just make sure your center bearing is still good. If that rubber bushing is torn that may be the problem as well. Good luck

ciaracts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Hey Thyine -

I have an '05 CTS 3.6 too. I replaced the front flex disk with a CS one and did the center bearing too. I am now experiencing the chirp on acceleration. Any ideas?

Thanks -

Scott

Is it smooth other then that? Did you do any shimming? I'm still not sure what it is, but its defiantly coming from the area of the flex disc that's as much as Ive been able to conclude so far, been really busy at work lately... anyways my latest hypothesis is that is could be angle induced perhaps my chasing down the vibrations and angle adjustments to compensate for a possibly bad center bearing has put stress on a bearing in the trans?. Anyone know if there's a bearing behind the trans flange? I emailed CS if they have come across anything like this and they think most likely its the center bearing that's the cause of the shuddering/vibration. I'm planning a few more tests as soon as I get a chance and will update.

caddyshack33 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS 3.2 5-spd Manual
    I also had the CS flex disc installed, just on the front. Max (the owner) was very helpful with giving me some specs to ensure that the trans mount was shimmed properly. After trial and error, i got the angle "good enough" to reduce the buzzing on load vibration. These discs are not made of rubber and, unfortunately, transfer vibration more easily than the stock coupler. I had a feeling my driveshaft, replaced under warranty 40k miles ago, was not installed properly which is why the OEM flex disc got torn up. Too bad Cadillac didnt stand behind their work on that one -- but I wont go into my two-month battle with them over that. Im glad there are other options available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.