Six quik reference steps on how to replace you 3.6 spark plugs and coil over plugs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Six quik reference steps on how to replace you 3.6 spark plugs and coil over plugs in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; First I removed my 3.6 engine cover, and unplugged battery cables... Second, I remove air filter coupler, all vaccum hoses, ...
    rgvcts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6 CTS Luxury Sport

Six quik reference steps on how to replace you 3.6 spark plugs and coil over plugs

First I removed my 3.6 engine cover, and unplugged battery cables...

Second, I remove air filter coupler, all vaccum hoses, brackets and bolts, easy to do. Most, if not all were 10mm and 13mm sockets...

Third, *to remove the bolt on the intake in the back passenger side, I found it easiest to remove the cabin air filter cover, then removed the plastic tray bolted to the fire wall. 2 nuts, 1 screw, and its off...

Still Third, and its off, once off, the bolt is easy to remove and pull out...

Fourth, once all the hoses brackets and bolts are off the upper intake should pull right off (slowly) exposing all coil over plugs...

Fifth, in order to remove the coil over plugs I used a flat head screw driver to pop out the lock on the side, loosened the screw that holds then down and they pulled right out...(slowly)

Still fifth, coil over plug removed...

Sixth, I then replaced the spark plug (Autolite double platinum part: APP 5263) and reinserted the coil over plug and proceeded with the other five S plugs. An extension and 3/8th spark plug socket helps ; )...

Once I replaced all my spark plugs and coil overs I cleaned up, replaced the upper intake , hoses, brackets and bolts, cabin air fitler covers... and re hooked up my battery... Just some pics to help those thinking about doing so they dont feel its hard to do...
    Y3E, Y3E, rexilus and 10 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"
    Just did this a week or two ago, and I was actually going to do a write-up, but you pretty much nailed it in six steps. Really nothing to it.

All I would add is that you need to be pretty careful pulling up the intake so you don't damage the gasket(s) like I did.

+1 on pulling the cabin air box, also - makes getting to that back bolt MUCH easier.

Firewalker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6l

Re: Six quik reference steps on how to replace you 3.6 spark plugs and coil over plug

Awesome write up, saving this one for future reference! Thank You.

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Re: Six quik reference steps on how to replace you 3.6 spark plugs and coil over plug

Great write up, can it be made a sticky or put somewhere notable for newbs, just got a cts myself so plenty of questions to ask

ham4864 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

great job,looks easy my other v6 is hard because its a front wheel drive car and its hand to reach the three rear plugs,my long arms helped a lot but my big hands don't.

saving this for the future.

Lzr
    Lzr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS - 3.6L, perf pkg, RX catch can, Vmax Ice, Volant CAI

Good job

this is a 2 in 1 also gonna be usefull for the VMax Iceolator
    will probly combine the 2

Yeap, I actually was surprised how easy it was to get to the spark plugs on this motor, its awesome that they are on top... any questions just ask or PM...

Quote Originally Posted by Lzr View Post
    Good job

this is a 2 in 1 also gonna be usefull for the VMax Iceolator
    will probly combine the 2
    Soooo What is a VMAX Iceolator????????? sounds very interesting

Lzr

Quote Originally Posted by rgvcts View Post
    Yeap, I actually was surprised how easy it was to get to the spark plugs on this motor, its awesome that they are on top... any questions just ask or PM...

Soooo What is a VMAX Iceolator????????? sounds very interesting
    hehe
    i'm on the fence, do i wait for some guinea pigs or do i pull the trigger...
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...available.html

74chvy glasshouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 , 74 chevy caprice

wat order do u tighten intake bolts ? how hard

Whoa, 20hp for only $150 and DIY install, BEST DEAL EVER!

I would pay the $150 right away for it not because i want to go faster quiker, but to improve fuel economy, Will or has any heard if this space hurts or improves fuel economy???

Lzr

Quote Originally Posted by rgvcts View Post
    Whoa, 20hp for only $150 and DIY install, BEST DEAL EVER!

I would pay the $150 right away for it not because i want to go faster quiker, but to improve fuel economy, Will or has any heard if this space hurts or improves fuel economy???
    that's why i still haven't jumped in, not much info on it, but it's been used on camaros and they seem to like it...

i'm doing the plugs in the coming months so i will most likely put that in at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by 74chvy glasshouse View Post
    wat order do u tighten intake bolts ? how hard
    I am sure there is a specific torque to tighten the bolts to and a specific sequence on which ones to tighten first...
    But since at the time i did not know, I noticed that to remove them it did not require more effort than one arms strengh with a standard ratchet and thats because they have never been removed, to retighten them I tightened them as much as I could with that same arm if you know what im trying to say.
    As far as in which order i retightened them did I a standard criss cross and from the rear of the intake then the front and back to the rear again. Kinda like what you would do with lug nuts on a tire.
    as soon as I find the correct schematics I may go back and re do it, its fairly quick

Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My GM shop manual says 17 lb/ft for the intake manifold bolts, and 13-15 lb/ft for the spark plugs. Also, don't use anti-seize on the spark plugs; just check the gap, clean the threads, and torque 'em down.
    neurotictim and neurotictim like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's 06 View Post
    My GM shop manual says 17 lb/ft for the intake manifold bolts, and 13-15 lb/ft for the spark plugs. Also, don't use anti-seize on the spark plugs; just check the gap, clean the threads, and torque 'em down.

I put anti seize on my spark plug threads before i put them back in... It was a special little squeeze packet that was labeled Spark plug anti-seize from Autozone it was a silver metalic looking liquid/paste. Should i remove them and clean it out? or why should we not use anti-seize ont them?
    Thank you for the torque specs!

AmericanMuscle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Anytime you are threading bolts or spark plugs into an aluminum block or heads, you should always put anti-seize on the threads. Aluminum is soft and you need the anti-seize to ensure the bolt or plug threads properly and can be released again later.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.