Urgent help! 04 CTS key stuck in ignition!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Urgent help! 04 CTS key stuck in ignition! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have an 04 CTS & my key is stuck in accessory mode. My shifter lights are out, as are ...
    AsiaRedbone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Urgent help! 04 CTS key stuck in ignition!

I have an 04 CTS & my key is stuck in accessory mode. My shifter lights are out, as are my brake lights. My speedometor stopped working & I have to keep turning the car on to keep battery charged. Although I fell asleep for a few hours & the 'battery saver active' light was on, It started up. Happened yesterday. I'm in between homes, homeless, & can't afford to fix. Orgs that do help are closed til Monday. Was told its a switch to brakes or shifter switch. Afraid to drive. If it dies, they say if I jump it, I'll blow up the fuse. It 91 degrees & I have my dogs with me. I LOVE my CTS! Had 5 mths. Check engine light has been on, but told, need tune up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Urgent help! 04 CTS key stuck in ignition!

ECM/PCM may have flaked out ... if your battery isn't dead then that's probably the next thing to try

a bit pricey of a part to just throw at the car in hopes of fixing it but over time we have seen so many weird issues caused by these ECMs flaking out and holding the key is one of the symptoms

(i think the engineers designed this as a security feature in case someone tries to steal the car it keeps the key in hopes of getting a fingerprint ... at least that's what i think)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

A stuck key is also a symptom of a failing battery.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Don't think it's a battery if the car starts...

I had a blown fuse under the back seat cause the key to get stuck, but in my case the car wouldn't start.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The stuck key is addressed in the owner's manual. There is a hole in the bottom side of the steering column that you can stick something in and release the key. A battery with a bad cell will still start the car but the key will be stuck. What does battery voltage read on the DIC key-on-engine-off?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

moved from cust svc

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

AsiaRedbone, I'm so sorry you experienced this and am very thankful there were knowledgeable forum members online this weekend who saw your message. Have there been any updates on your situation? If ever you need to contact Cadillac Customer Assistance immediately during the weekend and have phone access, our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center is open Saturdays from 8am to 9pm ET, 800-458-8006. (They're open 8am-9pm ET Monday through Friday as well!)

I double checked your owners manual, and the key release section dkozloski mentioned begins on page 2-23 (along with a diagram).

"If your vehicle has a dead battery or a battery with low
    voltage, you can still release the ignition lock and
    remove the key. Use the following procedure to release
    the steering column:

1. Locate the plastic screw head on the underside of
    the plastic cover for the steering column.
    2. Insert a flat, thin object into the slot and turn it until
    the plastic piece detaches from the steering column
    cover.
    3. Insert a narrow, pointed object into the hole in the
    steering column cover and press the spring.
    4. Then, turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove
    the key."

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks everyone! I couldn't get back here until now, app problem. It was the battery. Once it died, I got a jump & everything reset itself. & the battery is still good. Except.....the brake lights! No brake lights whatsoever!! All three! Cannot afford the price to 'probe' around finding the cause. Could it be brake module? No fuse for brakes. So I'm driving...for months now...without brake lights! All other lights work Help!

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Could be brake module, check BAS relay with ignition give it a light tap with a screwdriver head see if it wakes it up, also check 15A BAS fuse both located in left rear fuseblock.

Thank you. I'll check it now. In tired of not wanting to drive my car because of brakes lights. So excited, then I remember...& all I do is defensive driving. lbs

Thank you. I'll check it now. In tired of not wanting to drive my car because of brakes lights. So excited, then I remember...& all I do is defensive driving. lbs

Well...I replaced the bulbs. They were out. My lights worked! Yay! NOT!! Driving along & stopped the car, turned it off. Bam!! Turned back on....DEAD! No instrument lights at all! Won't take charge. Reads 12.5. Can't open trunk,put windows up, or close sunroof . Key stuck in ignition again, at accessory mode. Lights on door work(window, locks)...headlights work..flashers... BRAKE LIGHTS WORK..but no juice..no instrument lights...just dead. Cst covered in tarp & car cover. Storm headed my way. What's wrong with my baby??!!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

sounds like the ECM is bad ... just a hunch
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Turns out to be a bad battery! Caused all those problems...a bad battery.

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

not uncommon, the battery could read a steady 12v but if it has dead cells as soon as you turn the key it'll drop to nothing, might be enough there to light the dash but as soon as you turn the key to on, its gonna just click and say, that's my key and your not having it back!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.