Oops! Screwed The Pooch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Oops! Screwed The Pooch in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ...
    ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs

Oops! Screwed The Pooch

My progress on modding a donor radio to retain the DIC with a Navi HU was going well until I broke a small part off the DIC board. You can see the tiny part below the board in this pic. Timing sucks to get a replacement because I have trip due 15 May next week.

I've heard of a product called Silver Conductive Epoxy Adhesive. It claims to be an electronic grade epoxy with good electrical and thermal conductivities. Anyone tried anything similar with good results? If its doable, not even sure I can even get something like this locally.

I may end up having to remove and cut the DIC board from my original 6 disc radio. If I do, and want to get a replacement later on, will I need a replacement DIC board thatís actually from another 6 Disc radio?

Well here are some picís of the modded parts that I took just before I broke the part off the DIC board.

If you look closely at the MB below, you can see the two Aluminum "L" Brackets that I made to attach it to the sides of the case.

Got diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection this morning, so off to the pharmacy to pick up medication. Real Bummer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Oops! Screwed The Pooch

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    My progress on modding a donor radio to retain the DIC with a Navi HU was going well until I broke a small part off the DIC board. You can see the tiny part below the board in this pic. Timing sucks to get a replacement because I have trip due 15 May next week.

I see the capacitor sitting on the towel just below the daughter board. But I don't see where it came from on the DB. Have you tried it out to see if that cap actually did something that you need for this mod? I know this, depending on how far you cut up. You might of disabled the right side lights for board that contains the dial and what not. There's a thread here some where that explains what needs to be done to get it back. I wish that I saved it, but it was before a time that I knew how. lol. So if those lights don't work, don't be alarmed. I've been living without those lights for the last 2 or 3 years.

Got diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection this morning, so off to the pharmacy to pick up medication. Real Bummer!
    That just sucks, get this better before you lose patience on the radio though.

KOT

Sotex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS/3.6

I used that compound to reattach a rear window antenna lead. It worked fine, though the lead was a standard size male flat connector (considerably larger)

....Got diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection this morning, so off to the pharmacy to pick up medication. Real Bummer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    I see the capacitor sitting on the towel just below the daughter board. But I don't see where it came from on the DB. Have you tried it out to see if that cap actually did something that you need for this mod? I know this, depending on how far you cut up. You might of disabled the right side lights for board that contains the dial and what not. There's a thread here some where that explains what needs to be done to get it back. I wish that I saved it, but it was before a time that I knew how. lol. So if those lights don't work, don't be alarmed. I've been living without those lights for the last 2 or 3 years.

That just sucks, get this better before you lose patience on the radio though.
    KOT
    Best I can tell is the capacitor was in the location by the red arrow I just drew on the pic.

I haven't tried it yet, not feeling too energetic today. I should have stopped working on it yesterday afternoon before attempting to cut a bit more off the ends of the board, since it was still a little too long when I dry fitted the new HU. Hopefully, I’ll feel much better with more energy this Saturday and can install to see if the DIC operates or what functions might be missing without that capacitor. I can live temporarily with the lights not working, if that’s the case for the length cut.

Yea, I definitely want to get this respiratory problem cleared up. Hopefully, I'll feel much better with even better concentration with two days of meds in my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    I used that compound to reattach a rear window antenna lead. It worked fine, though the lead was a standard size male flat connector (considerably larger)
    Thanks. So far, I haven't been able to find anyone locally the stocks the product. Few places say 2-3 days for orders.

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

For Crying Out Loud, Wes.

You broke that little can capacitor off, its so simple to fix.

If the legs on the can are still long enough (hold it in place on the board where it broke off and match the broken legs to the pieces sticking out of the solder) you can just buy a soldering pencil and if you are temor-free, hold the can in place and touch the tip of the pencil to the solder on the board until it changes from a solid to a liquid and push a leg into the solder blow your breath on it and pull the pencil away. It will turn back into a solid. Then do the other leg. Its that simple.

Any electronics shop or Boy Scout with a merit badge can do it.

That capacitor new comes with an inch worth of leg, thay aren't part of the capacitor's operation, just what's inside the can is. It stores electricity.

KOT and DuMaurier have it.

Umm X, the cap is directional. It's a DC circuit sir. Besides, it has that black mark on the top indicating negative.

Wes, don't be scared though. Even the board indicates the direction. So just match it up with the others. Where the black mark is as compared to the board.

KOT

dumaurier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts 3.6L Stealth Grey / Luxury

For Crying Out Loud, Wes.
    You broke that little can capacitor off, its so simple to fix.
    OUCH!

You could also buy a new cap. at the same value for like 15 cents and re-solder it in if the original is screwed. You don't even have to push it thru the board you can tack solder it to the broken legs that are still in there. Any radio or TV repair shop could also do it for like 5 bucks. (forget the glue crap....it won't work right)

It's surface mount cap. Little legs are used, they aren't even chopped off when done soldering.

KOT

dumaurier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts 3.6L Stealth Grey / Luxury

Umm X, the cap is directional.
    Yes it's a electrolytic capacitor. (Polarized with the black indicating positive.) Can't read the value though. Totally fixable but it's going to be fun re-soldering
    it when there are barely any legs left on it! (it may work out) I would try and desolder the two silver pads first so you can get clean holes to re-mount either the
    original cap or a replacement one. Or I would use a new cap with legs long enough to tack it to the pads.
    On the bright side this is the best componet to break off if you had to have it happen...ever try and re-solder one of those surface mount resistors....oh man

I think I made my point. Solder it back on. If you have to buy a new one you'll get jabbed for something that's $8 /100 or whatever but its no big deal.

Hey guys, thanks for all the good info and suggestions. Kind of thought that cap might be directional. Downside is, I'm just not comfortable, as a first timer, trying to solder that tiny capacitor or a replacement back on the board. So that would be a desperate attempt for me.

Will trying calling some electronics and computer repair shops to see if they will repair it. If that fails, then look for a replacement capacitor at the Shack and then go for it. I can also just remove and mod my original radio's DIC board. Just hate go that route.

Wes, its an easy firsttimer. Caps are hard to ruin. Buy a soldering pen with a fine tip. Just hold the tip on the solder that's already there until it melts and stick the correct leg into the solder. Then do the other one. You can buy some solder to practice with before you work on the board. Its really so simple to do. Low wattage soldering iron, warmed up and as simple as dipping a pen in ink.

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    As simple as dipping a pen in ink.
    Why would you want to dip a pen in ink? I thought pens came with their own ink, don't they?

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Why would you want to dip a pen in ink? I thought pens came with their own ink, don't they?

KOT
    You know I'm old...we old folks used to use feathers and ink to write.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

If someone charges you more than 5 bucks for this repair, they're ripping you off. I do a lot of electronics work, and it'd take longer for the iron to heat up than it would to fix it.

I know you don't know me, but if you can't find someone local, send me a PM, I'll do it for the cost of return shipping. I modded my DIC as well, changed all the LEDs to make my DIC and A/C display blue instead of that nasty orange.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.