Oops! Screwed The Pooch - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Oops! Screwed The Pooch in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ...
    ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs

Re: Oops! Screwed The Pooch

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Cabletech, I really appreciate your offer. Iím scheduled to take the board to a home audio type repair shop tomorrow and will see what price they quote me. Just might have to take you up on that generous offer. Feeling more energetic today, so I plan to take the original radio out of the car this afternoon and remove its motherboard to place in the modified donor unit.

Cabletech, will contact you if Iím unable to get help at a reasonable price. BTW, if you don't mind sharing location? I'm Southfield, MI 48033.

Again, many thanks!

Wes

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Wes, you're never too old to add a new skill. You'll be fine wherever you take it. KOT and I would be just as happy to do it for you as Cabletech.

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    Wes, you're never too old to add a new skill. You'll be fine wherever you take it. .......
    I didn't fare well with the electronics shop. They didn't want to touch it! Manager said even if they could, he would have to charge their usual flat fee of $75 to have their tech look at any item. They suggested I try Specmo, didn’t do that because I know they won’t work on modded items.

So I went to Radio Shack and got a pencil tip for my 40W Soldering Iron, but the broken legs on the capacitor are so short that I was unable to insert one side after heating one pad and then have room to get the irons tip inside the other pad to heat it. To me, looks like the both pads would just about have to be heated at the same time and then insert both short capacitor legs simultaneously.

I went ahead and installed the DIC Board and the new Navi HU in the donor housing and will install that in the vehicle tomorrow. So for my immediate trip Thursday I will have full use of the GPS, Bluetooth and iPod features on the aftermarket Navi unit. Will likely have an erratic DIC display, but I can deal with that minor inconvenience for a few weeks. I’ll decide what I want to do about getting the board repaired or just replace it with another after I return to Michigan.

Guys…. thanks for all your help and the generous offers!

Wes

PS – Got lots of stuff on my plate before I leave, so I'l be absent for several days until I arrive and get some downtime so I can check the forum.....Cheers!

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If the legs on the can are still long enough (hold it in place on the board where it broke off and match the broken legs to the pieces sticking out of the solder) you can just buy a soldering pencil
    Short legs, too bad but at least you gave it a shot. Search for a new capacitor, the legs should be longer.

Short legs, too bad but at least you gave it a shot. Search for a new capacitor, the legs should be longer.
    Jim, each time I would straighten them a bit, in a attempt to lengthen the legs, that darn little plastic pedestal underneath the cap wanted to fall off. Yea, the little short crooked legged bastards won round one. lol

Update:

Was taken by surprised this past Saturday afternoon! I turned the key on and the DIC suddenly sprang to life and began displaying the info in the pic’s below. There’s still a glitch though, because I can’t get to the Menu Setting that allows me to change the Clock’s Time. Thankfully, I can for all the audio/speaker settings, all trip/mileage settings, as well as view the TPMS info. Don’t know what caused it to begin displaying data, but I’m thrilled to have it functioning for my return trip back to Michigan today A bit ashamed to admit; that for a last bit emergency fix for that broken can capacitor, I used duct taped to secure it atop the two solder pads on the daughterboard. Perhaps the intense southern heat was a factor as well. Well, whatever the reason, I'm completely elated!!

Still want to get another faceplate with daughterboard to make a much cleaner install for the Navi Units face and to re-cut circuit board for a fully functioning DIC display.

Red face Re: Oops! Screwed The Pooch

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    Update:....Thereís still a glitch though, because I canít get to the Menu Setting that allows me to change the Clockís Time. ....
    Apparently I was having a Senior Moment or Brain Fart as to how to do this. During the long ride back to Michigan yesterday, I remembered the correct way and now the Clockís time is synced with the Navi HU Clock. So, the only thing that isnít working after the Retain DIC Mod is the lighted illumination in the little eyebrow above the TUNE/SEL Knob.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Apparently I was having a Senior Moment or Brain Fart as to how to do this. During the long ride back to Michigan yesterday, I remembered the correct way and now the Clock’s time is synced with the Navi HU Clock. So, the only thing that isn’t working after the Retain DIC Mod is the lighted illumination in the little eyebrow above the TUNE/SEL Knob.
    That's because when you cut the daughter board, you also cut out the diode or resistor for that LED. It happened to all of us that did this modification. However, there was someone last year who jumped it back in. I wish that I could remember the thread, but of course I didn't save it.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    That's because when you cut the daughter board, you also cut out the diode or resistor for that LED. It happened to all of us that did this modification. However, there was someone last year who jumped it back in. I wish that I could remember the thread, but of course I didn't save it.

KOT
    Read that same thread a few weeks back, so know the exact one you’re talking about. It also has pic’s that show how he drilled small hole in board and used small gauge wire to jump the loss signal back to proper path on the board to restore illumination.

In my case though, the daughter board still has to be replaced. Duct taping that broken Can Capacitor to it isn’t a proper fix, and it’s just a matter of time before it fails permanently.

KOT
    Read that same thread a few weeks back, so know the exact one you’re talking about. It also has pic’s that show how he drilled small hole in board and used small gauge wire to jump the loss signal back to proper path on the board to restore illumination.

In my case though, the daughter board still has to be replaced. Duct taping that broken Can Capacitor to it isn’t a proper fix, and it’s just a matter of time before it fails permanently.
    Found that thread for restoring the right side LED’s. It's @ http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2237840

Update:

Was taken by surprised this past Saturday afternoon! I turned the key on and the DIC suddenly sprang to life and began displaying the info in the picís below....Donít know what caused it to begin displaying data, but Iím thrilled to have it functioning for my return trip back to Michigan today. A bit ashamed to admit; that for a last bit emergency fix for that broken can capacitor, I used duct taped to secure it atop the two solder pads on the daughterboard. Perhaps the intense southern heat was a factor as well. Well, whatever the reason, I'm completely elated!!

Still want to get another faceplate with daughterboard...to re-cut circuit board for a fully functioning DIC display.
    Well the temp fix for the broken capacitor finally failed last month. I would never have guessed it would have worked in the first place, let alone keep the DIC Display alive for two months. So this past Thursday I decided it was time to mod the replacement DIC Display/Daughterboard that I got this past June. I removed the modded radio chassis with the aftermarket Navi unit and replaced the damaged Display/Daughterboard with the newly modified replacement. Itís nice to have the personalized features and DIC info visible again along with the aftermarket Navi's screen.

....the only thing that isnít working after the Retain DIC Mod is the lighted illumination in the little eyebrow above the TUNE/SEL Knob.
    That's because when you cut the daughter board, you also cut out the diode or resistor for that LED. It happened to all of us that did this modification...

KOT
    I avoided the non illumination problem with the newly modded Daughterboard by not cutting it as short as previously, so the circuit for the LEDís is intact. However, I had to tilt the top of the aftermarket Navi unit at a wee bit more of a rearward angle in the faceplate so it wouldnít make contact with that extra smidgen of length on the Daughterboard. Still has that OEM lookÖand now even better at night with the faceplate fully illuminated.

Edit: Best shot I could get from inside the garage that shows illumination. Using the camera's flash washes it out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.