Help! Engine making bad clicking noise. With Video.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Help! Engine making bad clicking noise. With Video. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys, I had my first oil change, the free one from the dealership, about 100 miles ago and this ...
    Invisible@Night is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Black on Black

Help! Engine making bad clicking noise. With Video.

Hey guys,

I had my first oil change, the free one from the dealership, about 100 miles ago and this noise started about 20 miles ago very soft. Today I drover it about 30 blocks and pulled into my garage and it sounded like this. I checked the oil both cold and hot and the level is within the acceptable range. I thought it might be that Selenoid I always hear you guys talking about but it is coming from both sides so I assume lifters/ low oil. Please help! Is there a certain type of oil that should go into a 2006 cts 2.8l? I'm sure they used the cheapest stuff they had and I am wondering if that could have caused it. Also, I hear about the recall for 3.2l that burn oil. Is this applicable for the 2.8 also? I am not leaking oil enough to drip from my engine cover underneath onto my garage floor so I am curious how this could have gotten so bad with so little driving. Thank in advance for your help and the video link from today is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NXeP...&feature=g-upl

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Help! Engine making bad clicking noise. With Video.

i listened four times and the one tick is the purge solenoid clicking its little heart out and the rest is fairly normal noise, heavier oil might quiet it down. Mobil 1 5W-30 is the factory oil recomendation.

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    i listened four times and the one tick is the purge solenoid clicking its little heart out and the rest is fairly normal noise, heavier oil might quiet it down. Mobil 1 5W-30 is the factory oil recomendation.
    Thank you for the quick response. As per usual, X-RR you are my hero. Would you say the aftermarket replacement is good or should I spend almost double and get the factory. Either way i am doing the work so no labor cost.

You can get the same AC/Delco as the dealer for $25 at any parts store. I'd stick to that. You might save a couple of bucks with an off brand that's probably just the same but why risk it ? I'm glad to help.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

How about this...

Since you have the 2006, unplug the damn thing. Drive around until the engine light turns on. Plug it back it, go to a parts store to have the code scanned for free. Come back here and list the code(s). Hopefully it will be with in the range of P0440 to P0449. Then call the dealer and tell them that your check engine light turned on.

Total cost to you? Just your time, because 2006 model year had a "recall" for that problem. Had mine replaced a few months, Rolls had his replaced a few months before mine.

KOT

If he wants to avoid getting stuck at the gas station and struggling to get the engine to run and running down his battery and then getting the code...its worth the $25 to change it now and leave the dealer out of it.

Thanks for the advise but I'm with Rolls on this one. Advance is 1 mile away and has the AC Delco Part for $25. Caddy is 25 miles away and if I can't start my car it makes for way more than a $25 drive. Well worth the cash to just do it and also I can verify it gets done if I do it too. Thanks again guys for the help. 7am now time to go to Advance.

OK, so instead of sleeping like I should have today here is what I got done today. Went to Advance and got one part for $25 and it only had one electrical connector where mine has 2. drove across Denver to the only Advance that had the only other part number listed for my car for P.S. and it also only had one electrical connector. I spent the next few hours trying to get a hold of a service adviser at Rickenbaugh Caddy and set up an appointment for Tuesday at 7am when I get out. Man, looks like I will be unplugging it this weekend and using my Matco scanner to bring you guys some codes before I waste time and possibly money on Tuesday. so 2 hours of sleep and now I am back at work for the next 11. Looking forward to sleep tomorrow for sure.

Anyone have a AC Delco part number for this? Or am I just really dumb and am looking at the wrong part. By looking at it this is the Purge for the intake manifold and when it warms up and it starts clicking when you touch this it is definitively coming from inside. IMG_0253.jpg

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    That us the part.

But apparently you need more sleep, because it has only one electrical connection and two tubular connections. :-)

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    That us the part.

But apparently you need more sleep, because it has only one electrical connection and two tubular connections. :-)

KOT
    I agree. I meant one tubular and one electrical on the wrong piece. It was a long tube with one tubular and a right angle electrical plug on the other end.

The part number is 12611801.

It this what they tried to sell you ?

Attachment 90719

Thank you for the part number, that looks just like mine! The part below is the one that they tried to sell me twice with 2 different part numbers according to them. Part #214-2230
    315KNx68vQL_SL250_.jpg

That part number does not go with that picture !!!!!

The part number is for the 3.6 liter.

That purge valve assembly in the picture is from a 2003 is how I have it marked.

The valve in your picture might be the vent valve. You want the EVAP cannister purge solenoid/valve. The walnut sized one is 12611801

That's crazy, that was the part number on my return receipt and this was definitely the part I got twice. 12611801 looks like the right part, I just have to find one in town for not $90. Maybe there wont be too much sleep in my future after all. Thanks again for your helps Rolls and KOT. I will keep you posted on my battle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.