Help! Engine making bad clicking noise. With Video. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Help! Engine making bad clicking noise. With Video. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I googled 'purge solenoid' and it is part of the emissions equipment. My CTS is an 06, but as far ...
    erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

Re: Help! Engine making bad clicking noise. With Video.

I googled 'purge solenoid' and it is part of the emissions equipment. My CTS is an 06, but as far as I remember, that part was never replaced on my car (I also haven't experienced the ticking sound). Was there a recall on this part?

Invisible@Night is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Black on Black

It looks like it is similar to a waste gate as far as it connects to the inlet of the intake manifold so if too much pressure builds up in the intake it will release it through the purge. This is my first experience with it but from looking at it this is what I think. Does the waste go back to the exhaust of the motor? Please correct me, I know you will, if I am mistaken.

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

From what I read, I think if too much pressure builds, it's just vented to the air (since it's not post combustion, it doesn't have to vent to the exhaust system).

Quote Originally Posted by erdoc48 View Post
    From what I read, I think if too much pressure builds, it's just vented to the air (since it's not post combustion, it doesn't have to vent to the exhaust system).
    Makes sense. I didn't think about it like that.

So I assume that the clicking I hear than is the internal relay going nuts. The bang I feel on the out side feels like testing/identifying a flasher relay.

OK, so those of you that have been following along, I am still awake. Going on 24 hours. After calling every auto parts store in Denver I found that no one had this part in stock. But I got to thinking and cross referenced with Chevy vehicles that use the same part and found the 2008 Equinox Sport, and 2009 Equinox Base use the same P.S. At the dealer it was listed at $42, for the same $89 part from Caddy, and I remembered I had a few business cards from when I worked at a corporate cars related chain so I got it for wholesale and spent about as much as everyone is saying the parts store has it for anyways. It in, clicking is gone, life is good. I can't believe I saw someone say that Caddy wanted $140 for the 5 minutes of labor it took with a 10mm socket and a flat-head screwdriver. Thank you all again for your help but I do have one more question for you experts out there before I enter a mini coma.

What the hell is this little Yorkshire terrier looking thing on the GM label? My guess would be shipping size/weight. I want to see the sticker on a crate motor to see if it has Marmaduke or Godzilla or something cool like that.

Anyways, thank you all so much for your help yet again and I'm sure I will need you all again soon. Should be getting my springs next week so I am very excited about that. Night everyone!

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'm glad you got it fixed and all is well. You need to find more time for sleep, buddy.

To the people about how the vent works...

In the gas tank, vapors form when you fill the gas tank. A vent near the gas cap allows the gasoline fumes to be drawn forward to the Evaporative cannister under the hood back by the battery. Another set of fumes comes from the engine. When the ECM decides that the time is right, it sends a charge of electricity to the vent solenoid, which is an electromagnet, located between the cannister and the engine. The magnet pulls a piece of metal called an armature plate onto the magnet and a linkage pulls the valve open and the fumes from the cannister join the fuel/air mixture and is burnt in the engine. It burns up gasoline fumes that would otherwise go into the air we breathe.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by erdoc48 View Post
    I googled 'purge solenoid' and it is part of the emissions equipment. My CTS is an 06, but as far as I remember, that part was never replaced on my car (I also haven't experienced the ticking sound). Was there a recall on this part?
    Its an extended warranty, not a recall. If your engine light comes on and stays on because of the purge solenoid/valve, it will be replaced for free.

Its a good choice for self-mechanics to replace before it gets that bad. The part is $25 and you can change it in five minutes. My dealer charges $105.

The linkage breaks and the valve gets stuck. When it gets stuck closed, your car won't start after you fill it with gas unless you keep the tank half filled or more. It costs gasoline mileage because the fumes go to waste. If it gets stuck open, it doesn't make as much difference in driving and you won't even know it broke, but the engine is running lean sometimes and might throw a code.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ok so it looks like my help is not needed here ...

i will say a couple things though ...

first ... that part pictured in post #13 is a evap .VENT solenoid valve (plugs into the evap canister back by the gas tank)

second... i can run any vin and see if there are open recalls or campaigns ... it will tell me if they have or have not been done and if they haven't been done it will say if it is still 'open' (available to be done for free)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

jdubh25 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS, 2007 Escalade
    Mine is currently making that same exact noise! So this is an easy fix to do myself??

Quote Originally Posted by jdubh25 View Post
    Mine is currently making that same exact noise! So this is an easy fix to do myself??
    Yep. Pull off the engine cover and its the walnut sized thing on level and near the battery, on the engine. Couldn't be simpler.

Are the part numbers the same at the various parts stores, and what is the actual name of the part Im needing? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdubh25 View Post
    Are the part numbers the same at the various parts stores, and what is the actual name of the part Im needing? Thanks
    The GM part number for 2006 CTS 2.8 and 3.6 liter engines is 12611801. Evaporative Emission Cannister Purge Solenoid Valve.

Special Coverage 09205 extends the warranty to 10 years/120,000 miles and replaces it for free.
    The red tape they wrote into it makes any potential coverage a gamble. They want to hook it up to the TechII, then remove the part and examine it for failure. It they don't think its broken you owe them the diagnosis fee. $95 is the cheapest and $165 the highest I've heard of. If its ticking nonstop its broke, but that's the proceedure they use to scare you off. I braved it and got mine free. I was certain mine was bad because the car wouldn't start after filling it up. KOT got his for free too.

Note to Invisible...thanks for the correction. I fixed it.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I may have the dealer take a look since I need to take it in to have a noise/rattle from the engine looked at, sounds like its coming from under maybe, possibly passenger side usually happens accelerating around 1500-2000rpm. Kinda sounds like the noise from the game operation when the two metals touch....bzzzz. From reading other posts here im praying its not the timing chain/belt since my warranty expired in December, heard their pretty expensive to change.

Its not the timing chain. That comes from the front of the engine where the chains are.

There's a problematic heat shield that makes your rattle.
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Sounds like a heat shield.

KOT

Thanks, its much appreciated!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.