18" RIMs CTS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 18" RIMs CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by Firewalker I love the look of 20" wheels but I hate having to watch the road like ...
    ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Re: 18" RIMs CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
    I love the look of 20" wheels but I hate having to watch the road like a hawk for every bump and Ohio pot hole. In the end, I took my 20" wheels off and will keep a look out for a nice set of 18" wheels.
    i know where every pothole is on my way to and from work, i even have lane changes and curb hugging down to a science.
    but nothing beats 245/35/20 on the highway and highway ramps.

i actually hate driving on stock rims, and i hated the 18s i had on the cts.
    some people like them.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The side wall on my 18's is no more then the sidewall on your 20's...and Ive got less weight. Plenty beats 20's.

dcmoore2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

car 2 023 2.JPG

these are 18's. I think they are from an original 1st gen CTS Sport Pkg??

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike

i know where every pothole is on my way to and from work, i even have lane changes and curb hugging down to a science.

i actually hate driving on stock rims, and i hated the 18s i had on the cts.
    some people like them.
    I have to agree on this one. Not that I hate stock rims, but i like my car to stand out a bit. Lets face it, we drive a caddy. There are a lot of "elderly" people who still drive them too lol. Yes, it is a more performance oriented car now, but there are a lot of old people driving them. So when I pull up to a light, I don't want the same stock rims as granny that just left the bingo hall. 19's and up have a younger generation look to them. Also gives a world of options for types of rims. They may be bumpier but there is a drawback to every mod you do to a car.

praprestoabi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): HAD 2004 CTS 3.6, Now 2010 CTS Wagon 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayne

I have to agree on this one. Not that I hate stock rims, but i like my car to stand out a bit. Lets face it, we drive a caddy. There are a lot of "elderly" people who still drive them too lol. Yes, it is a more performance oriented car now, but there are a lot of old people driving them. So when I pull up to a light, I don't want the same stock rims as granny that just left the bingo hall. 19's and up have a younger generation look to them. Also gives a world of options for types of rims. They may be bumpier but there is a drawback to every mod you do to a car.
    Amen. I have yet to see another cts with a driver of 40 or younger here in Charlotte,NC. I have seen one with blacked out factory rims. That's pushing it though around her. A lot of heads turn when I pull up anywhere though. I feed off it.
    neurotictim and neurotictim like this.

VaderWS6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayne

EXACTLY. A lot of people on this board can't accept the fact that the majority of people who drive 1st gen CTS's have AARP cards. Go 18"+ or get a walker. I run my chrome 20's all year round (not much snow this year or salt), and I clean the absolute F out of them.

TheBrown57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 Luxury Sport

I personally don't like the look of big rims on cars. To each their own

I like how mine looks and I have yet to see another like mine around me

antti86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6 -05

I found nice wheels at fair price. Will they fit? They are very wide. Guy who is selling those, had them on Chrysler 300 C
    Here are the specs: 18x9.5", 5x115, ET 20.
    I have stock suspension.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by antti86
    I found nice wheels at fair price. Will they fit? They are very wide. Guy who is selling those, had them on Chrysler 300 C
    Here are the specs: 18x9.5", 5x115, ET 20.
    I have stock suspension.
    Is your car lowered? Or do you plan on lowering it?

bruinsfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts , 3.6L

I am interested in purchasing a set for my 04 CTS which I believe is rear wheel drive. Now my question is I have the original r
    16" on the car now and would like to upgrade to chrome wheels but when I start lolling for these rims probably in the springtime since there's no reason to get them now with the northeast weather but do I have to buy rims that are rear wheel drive rims? Thanks.

antti86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6 -05

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    Is your car lowered? Or do you plan on lowering it?
    It's not lowered. I was thinking eibach springs, but I found out that I cannot use them in Finland, cause they are not TUV approved.
    So I guess I am not lowering it anytime soon. KW coilovers have TUV, but they cost way too much for me.

roma604 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

stock 18" rims
    245/45/18 tires
    lowered with eibach's and Mightymouse mod

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Im on stock 17's on my sport lux, did see a car on ebay uk currently with 20's on it that looks quite smart!
    I'm sticking with what I have, battery to find before anything else lol, who's bright idea was it to put the terminals on the sides

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by dcmoore2 View Post
    Attachment 103370

these are 18's. I think they are from an original 1st gen CTS Sport Pkg??
    No...aftermarket wheels they are, young one.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    I get your opinion and agree with it in some ways. I think 19's with no lip are the best size for this gen. The stock 12 spoke 18's enlarged to 19's with a deeper curve to meet the center bolts would be my favorite. I wasnt commenting on appearance, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettomike
    I was responding to this line. I toook that to mean that 20's perform better then 18's which just isnt the case. His 20s with low pros and good tires may probably perform better then the stock 17" setup that came on his car, but all else being equal, 18's beat 20's. Also, while 19's may have a younger look (iid argue newer, not younger) its not 20 yr olds buying the large luxury sedans with standard 19's and 20's.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by praprestoabi View Post
    Amen. I have yet to see another cts with a driver of 40 or younger here in Charlotte,NC. I have seen one with blacked out factory rims. That's pushing it though around her. A lot of heads turn when I pull up anywhere though. I feed off it.
    Heads turn for honey boo boo and train wrecks, too. Id think there are better ways to measure your choices in your cars attire.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by VaderWS6 View Post
    EXACTLY. A lot of people on this board can't accept the fact that the majority of people who drive 1st gen CTS's have AARP cards. Go 18"+ or get a walker. I run my chrome 20's all year round (not much snow this year or salt), and I clean the absolute F out of them.
    Who specifically are these people who wont accept that? Everyone allready knows that the C1st gen had a relatively older average purchase age...about 56 yrs old. Putting 20's on a CTS (an old persons car by your claims) is like a sumo wrestler wearing a black track suit because its slimming...its not fooling anyone. If the CTS truly is an old persons car, putting 20s on it wont make it look young.
    Personally, I dont think the CTS is an old persons car. It might have had an average purchase age about 15 years older then the 3series, but that has as much to do with Cadillacs reputation as anything else. Ive never seen so many older people complain about the ride in a car as with the 1st gen CTS. Would you consider a 5series M-sport to be an old persons car? The CTS was bought predominantly by the older crowd because of the exact stereotpyes that some of you young guys are displaying.

I prefer my rims to be as small as will fit over the brakes. My tires are just as low profile as you are running on your 20's, and theyre high performance tires, too. The CTS does not drive like ANY stereotypical Cadillac. Even in FE1 form, its still 'forged steel' to the classic Cadillacs 'down filled pillow'.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by roma604 View Post
    stock 18" rims
    245/45/18 tires
    lowered with eibach's and Mightymouse mod
    Grandpas Caddy comin' through!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by antti86 View Post
    It's not lowered. I was thinking eibach springs, but I found out that I cannot use them in Finland, cause they are not TUV approved.
    So I guess I am not lowering it anytime soon. KW coilovers have TUV, but they cost way too much for me.
    Have you checked any of the other coilover options?
    Sotex and Sotex like this.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by concorso

Who specifically are these people who wont accept that? Everyone allready knows that the C1st gen had a relatively older average purchase age...about 56 yrs old. Putting 20's on a CTS (an old persons car by your claims) is like a sumo wrestler wearing a black track suit because its slimming...its not fooling anyone. If the CTS truly is an old persons car, putting 20s on it wont make it look young.
    Personally, I dont think the CTS is an old persons car. It might have had an average purchase age about 15 years older then the 3series, but that has as much to do with Cadillacs reputation as anything else. Ive never seen so many older people complain about the ride in a car as with the 1st gen CTS. Would you consider a 5series M-sport to be an old persons car? The CTS was bought predominantly by the older crowd because of the exact stereotpyes that some of you young guys are displaying.
    Thank you Concorso. That's exactly how I feel. And I happen to be very young, yet I certainly don't see the 1st gen CTS as an old persons car. I would NOT have bought it if the common opinion among my age group was that it was an old persons car.

I exemplify, and can speak for the 16-25 yr old age group, and I assure everyone that not a single one of my peers believe my car looks like a grandpa car. Sure, when someone who's never seen my CTS asks what I drive, and I tell them it's a Cadillac, I occasionally hear the rhetoric that I drive an old mans car, but when they see it in person that opinion reverses. (And even that stereotype is getting rare, the view on Cadillacs is rapidly changing).

As I've said before, who is the best judge of what's youthful and modern? The 16-25 yr old group. So why do some people continue to insist that the CTS is a grandma mobile when that 16-25 yr old group continues to judge it as a youthful and cool car? I don't understand it at all.

Finally, I HATE seeing anyone over 50 in a new CTS. Get a darn XTS, and stop assuming the CTS will be that plush-mobile, floating boat you're looking for just cause its a Cadillac.

Thank god the general view is shifting away from Cadillacs being old people's cars though. I fully believe that among my age group of buyers, Cadillac is rivaling BMW and Audi in terms of coolness, youthfulness, and desire. In some ways, it's cooler in that modern Cadillacs are sorta more unique, something different, and stand out better than a 5 series or A5. The CTS coupe is probably the most distinct example of this...
    praprestoabi and praprestoabi like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.