Radio screen display problem! Pic attached (Searched, no luck)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Radio screen display problem! Pic attached (Searched, no luck) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Searched far and wide for anything resembling my issue below, but I ...
    karlschubach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Radio screen display problem! Pic attached (Searched, no luck)

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Searched far and wide for anything resembling my issue below, but I had no luck. Turning to this community for help!

Bought a '05 CTS about a month ago. Everything went fine during the test drive/a week or two after, but then all of a sudden the LCD screen started acting up (See attached photo) The worst part is that it decides to do this intermittently. Sometimes right at cold start up, sometimes after 20 minutes of driving. I notice that if I activate anything electrical (power windows/temperature control,etc) the "yellow" pulses as I draw from the battery. It eventually clears itself and everything returns to normal. Should I be worried? Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Radio screen display problem! Pic attached (Searched, no luck)

Try setting the DIC display on the battery voltage display. You should have at least 12 volts at anytime, and 14 and over when the engine is running.

I've never seen this problem before, but you've pretty much identified it as a voltage problem.

The DIC display could be burning out, the voltage regulator in the DIC is failing (it would be a tiny little chip on the printed circuit board or contained within a larger chip) or the alternator and its voltage regulator.

I'd put my money on a bad display. No one with a bad battery or alternator has reported this problem.

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k
    Looks like a failing lcd screen to me. Doubtful that you'll find a faceplate on its own, but it is replaceable. Probably looking at a new/used unit.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    Try setting the DIC display on the battery voltage display. You should have at least 12 volts at anytime, and 14 and over when the engine is running.
    Battery voltage is steady at 14.3 when the motor is running. It doesn't seem to affect anything else in the car. Just washes out the screen like that for 20 seconds, slowly receding back to the left side of the screen. Then all of a sudden it will just clear itself, almost like it was reset. Then everything returns back to normal. So strange.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Does it always wash out half of the screen, like shown? If so, Id guess a failing screen.

Yes, it always behaves the same way when the problem occurs. Like I said, it's intermittent. Hasn't done it in a few weeks, since the outdoor temperature has warmed up where I live.

Could be a weak connection on the circuit board, or a failing component, or the screen itself is failing. Swap it out before you go down to a blank screen 100% of the time.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Looks like the LCD is going bad. The LCD is pretty easy to swap if you just buy an ugly center chunk on ebay. Disassemble the DIC, you'll desolder a couple of tabs, and the LCD gets right out of there. $40 bucks plus shipping will get you a whole CTS Radio. All you need is the LCD though. You'll need a small Torx bit to get at everything though (something like a T8).

TunixComplex is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 5M

If you have to replace the whole LCD (and possibly the whole unit) maybe its time to think about a navi? There are 2 on eBay right now for under 500 bucks.

If a whole radio is $40, why bother to swap LCD's ? Easier to swap the whole radio.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    $40 for a parted radio most likely. Then there's the dealer programming it.

But to the OP, just buy a damaged radio from on line and swap out THAT board. No need to do any soldering, it's attached to the mother board through two white ribbon cables.

KOT

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Hey! Sorry to be dragging this thread back from the dead, but I'm having a similar issue. The app isn't letting me post a pic right now, but my LCD screen looks much like the one in the pic the OP posted, but FAR less severe. It's a little blot the size of a quarter at the bottom of the screen. It's always present and doesn't flash and disappear and come back or whatever, but it DOES slowly (like we're talking millimeters a day) recede and come back.
    For instance, when I bought the car a few months ago, it was a slight line of yellow. Then it slowly grew to be a quarter sized blot, and then receded once more (very slowly) to being a line and now has come back with a vengeance and has grown to be a quarter again over a week. It stopped growing but it's annoying me. It seems totally random...

So I could buy a used CTS radio for $40 and salvage the LCD? Are they easy to swap out? Are the wires clipped into the LCD screen or would I have to cut and splice wires?

Thanks!!

ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs

Once you remove the radio from the dash, you will place it face down on something so as not to damage the front faceplate. You can then remove the torx screws that fasten the faceplate to the radio’s main chassis. The DIC display daughterboard attached to the faceplate is also connected to the motherboard within the radio’s chassis with ribbon cables with orange connectors on their ends. You will need to lift up of the little clips before you can pull the white ribbon connectors off the vertical boards on both sides for the left and right control knobs.

Once all connections for the boards are removed, you can then remove the torx screws that secure the DIC display daughterboard to the faceplate. Installing the replacement is just done in reverse. Naturally, you want to disconnect the negative battery cable before disconnecting and reinstalling electrical components!

Here’s a pic of the back of my OEM faceplate showing the DIC display daughter board and its connections to the faceplate.

Below are two pages with images and instructions from Crutchfield’s Master Sheet on removal of the CTS’ stock radio.

Once you disconnect the radio harness and antenna and get it out, you’ll see it a fairly easy job of replacing the DIC. Mainly, just take your time and be patient.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter
    Once you remove the radio from the dash, you will place it face down on something so as not to damage the front faceplate. You can then remove the torx screws that fasten the faceplate to the radio’s main chassis. The DIC display daughterboard attached to the faceplate is also connected to the motherboard within the radio’s chassis with ribbon cables with orange connectors on their ends. You will need to lift up of the little clips before you can pull the white ribbon connectors off the vertical boards on both sides for the left and right control knobs.

Once all connections for the boards are removed, you can then remove the torx screws that secure the DIC display daughterboard to the faceplate. Installing the replacement is just done in reverse. Naturally, you want to disconnect the negative battery cable before disconnecting and reinstalling electrical components!

Here’s a pic of the back of my OEM faceplate showing the DIC display daughter board and its connections to the faceplate.

Below are two pages with images and instructions from Crutchfield’s Master Sheet on removal of the CTS’ stock radio.

Once you disconnect the radio harness and antenna and get it out, you’ll see it a fairly easy job of replacing the DIC. Mainly, just take your time and be patient.
    Thank you!! That was extremely helpful!

ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs

Anytime! Please give us an update when you get’er done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.