How hard is it to replace a fuel pump on an 04 cts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Bosnian
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How hard is it to replace a fuel pump on an 04 cts in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I went in today to get my oil changed. Boy was I in for a surprise, supposedly during the oil ...
    Bosnian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

How hard is it to replace a fuel pump on an 04 cts

I went in today to get my oil changed.
    Boy was I in for a surprise, supposedly during the oil
    Change the fuel pump died according to them. They said
    They tried everything and it was definitely in need of a
    Fuel pump once again according to them. They quoted me
    At 1159.00 after taxes and labor the fuel pump was 349.00
    and their labor costs were 750, for 5 hours of labor
    They said they would need to take the whole end off in
    Order to replace the fuel pump. In my mind I thought someone
    Was lying so I was very skeptical.

Anyways after all this I told them let me go try to start the car
    As I did not believe their story. The car started after I kept my
    Foot on the gas for about a minute so the fuel could flow inside.
    Sure enough the car started. I am sure they were trying to rip me off.
    How often do fuel pumps fail on these cars and are they really a hard
    To replace as they claimed to make it. I am definitely not going back
    To this dealership.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: How hard is it to replace a fuel pump on an 04 cts

Bosnian, have you replaced the EVAP cannister purge solenoid valve ? It sounds to me that this is your problem.

Fuel pumps DO NOT fail on the CTS.

Were the fuel pump to fail, access may be gained by cutting a hole at the proper place underneath the backseat. There is a thread concerning this proceedure by a German man who likely did not need the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    Bosnian, have you replaced the EVAP cannister purge solenoid valve ? It sounds to me that this is your problem.

Fuel pumps DO NOT fail on the CTS.

Were the fuel pump to fail, access may be gained by cutting a hole at the proper place underneath the backseat. There is a thread concerning this proceedure by a German man who likely did not need the repair.
    I have not, that's good to know. Confirms my earlier suspicions of them trying to rip me off.
    I will take it to the Cadillac Dealer, because apparently Chevy dealers have no clue about Cadillac's as evident by my experience today.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

No need to take it to a dealer. The EVAP can be replaced by you in less than 5 minutes.

Remove the engine cover, just remove the oil fill cap and pull up on the cover. Once removed, put the oil cap back on so debris won't fall down.

Then remove the 10mm bolt that is holding the EVAP on, and unplug the wire harness as well as the two tubes.

Install the new and replace the engine cover. Your done.

Part cost about $30 to $50, depending on where you go. They have them at the auto parts store and dealers.

KOT

Also, it was not having any of these problems, until they took it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian View Post
    Also, it was not having any of these problems, until they took it over.
    The car was running right, you took it to a Chevy dealer for an oil change, and what problems does it have now ? I was just shooting from the hip on the EVAP solenoid. It can cause hard starting that requires pushing the accelerator to the floor to keep the engine running untll it straightens itself out.

Was it getting a little hard to start sometimes ? You make it sound like they broke something intentionally, no too likely at a GM dealer. There must be another explanation. Fuel pump failure is virtually non-existant judging by things around here. It would definately be in that price range but its hard to imagine that the fuel pump failed. They don't make it easy to work on since its so reliable. You can shortcut through the floor pan to get to it. We have pictures of where to cut.

The car was running right, you took it to a Chevy dealer for an oil change, and what problems does it have now ? I was just shooting from the hip on the EVAP solenoid. It can cause hard starting that requires pushing the accelerator to the floor to keep the engine running untll it straightens itself out.

Was it getting a little hard to start sometimes ? You make it sound like they broke something intentionally, no too likely at a GM dealer. There must be another explanation. Fuel pump failure is virtually non-existant judging by things around here. It would definately be in that price range but its hard to imagine that the fuel pump failed. They don't make it easy to work on since its so reliable. You can shortcut through the floor pan to get to it. We have pictures of where to cut.
    I got no idea what they did, first they had told me that the battery
    Was dead, so then thu attempted to jump start it, according to them
    Then they told me the fuel pump died because it had ran out of fuel
    Which was weird to me because when I got in the car it did not even
    Flash the low fuel warning. Then the tech told me he tested it and it
    Was not throwing up any codes. I am sure if it was a fuel pump it would
    Throw codes.

Like I said I got no idea what actually happened I just know I had to step
    On the gas before it started again almost like to lubricate it
    Which they said they also tried. I drove it yesterday afterward
    It started all 5 times with no problem. Once I started the car they said,
    Oh there must have been a lot of air in your fuel line.
    It's so hard to believe all of them right now, no one had a
    Solid explanation on why the car started when I tried
    it.

Its your EVAP cannister purge valve solenoid. If you fill the car with gasoline and it won't start, its the purge valve and it does what you described. It won't start, it runs down the battery, it barely starts and you have to work the gas pedal to smooth it out. The engine is starving for fuel because it can't get any gas-rich fumes from the cannister.

You might have a loud constant ticking from under the engine cover near the battery. That would be the solenoid trying to open the valve. Sometimes the solenoid burns out, sometimes the linkage breaks and it ticks. The instructions are up above. I suggest you give it a shot.

Its your EVAP cannister purge valve solenoid. If you fill the car with gasoline and it won't start, its the purge valve and it does what you described. It won't start, it runs down the battery, it barely starts and you have to work the gas pedal to smooth it out. The engine is starving for fuel because it can't get any gas-rich fumes from the cannister.

You might have a loud constant ticking from under the engine cover near the battery. That would be the solenoid trying to open the valve. Sometimes the solenoid burns out, sometimes the linkage breaks and it ticks. The instructions are up above. I suggest you give it a shot.
    I will give it a shot thanks

art_1519 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Hi, new to the forum here. I had kind of the same problem. Car had been running fine and one of this rainy days it didnt start. I went to work, came back and read this thread and i did the 1 min on the gas proc. And it started. Next day rain again, no go. Had to use the gas pedal to get it to start. Next day sunny worked just fine. Does the evap purge solenoid is affected by the humidity? I'm sorry maybe a stupid question but any help will be greatly appreciated. Its a 03 CTS 140000 miles. Should i replace it? And what is the part number? Thanks in advance for your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.