does anyone have anything good to say about the CTS. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, does anyone have anything good to say about the CTS. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by dumaurier This is true. As soon as you tell someone you own a Caddie, they look at ...
    curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

Re: does anyone have anything good to say about the CTS.

Quote Originally Posted by dumaurier View Post
    This is true. As soon as you tell someone you own a Caddie, they look at you wierd and start spewing out a bunch of crap.... Bottom line they just wish they had one too.
    So true, when I brought my CTS in for an oil change at the local GM dealer one of the service techs asked me why I keep buying Cadillac's as this is my 3rd since I was 19..He said "if you could just get into a '07 lesabre you'd have such a nice ride"

To put it short, I basically laughed in his face and went in to pay for my oil change...what a joke! a Buick? Please....
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Even when Buicks and Oldsmobiles were the same thing as Cadillac DeVilles, the difference between owning a Cadillac and a deuce and a quarter or 98 was substantial in status if nothing else. The cars were nearly identical but the fact of the matter was that one man spent $1000 more because he had the extra thousand and people respect people who have an extra thousand to spend. "Wanna go for a ride in my Cadillac ?" means so much more than "Wanna go for a ride in my Buick ?".

ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs

Down South, especially in the sixties the Buicks and Oldsmobiles were considered the poor man's Cadillac. Back then the only advantage those brands had over a Caddy was they offered upscale Muscle Cars for the more family oriented buyer.

dumaurier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts 3.6L Stealth Grey / Luxury
    Ive owned both, a Buick Electra Limited and a Olds 88LSS. Both great cars in their own right but they were not Caddies. The Olds was a fantastic car however the CTS is such a unique ride it grows on you every day. There's nothing out there today like this car in its price range.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    I have had my CTS for almost 3 years years and I will tell you, for the money it costs to own this car and maintain it, you will probably not find any performance RWD Sedan that compares to a first gen CTS.

So, if you look at the first gen CTS from my prespective (especially the 3.6L variant) I see it as a RWD sedan that is as spacious as a 5 series, costs less to buy and maintain(especially second hand) than a 3 series and looks sexier and more unique in design than any comparably priced RWD sedan. In addition to that it's one comfy and decently luxurious car. And if you keep it maintained as intended ( watch your oil levels and other fluids) and stick to the maintenance schedule then you will be happy for as long as you keep it.

For the moneny you can't have a better sedan IMHO

EDIT: Oh and Agent1, I drive my CTS everyday like I stole it, I don't baby my cars, the car is there to please me not the other way around, this sedan can take a serious beating... Who knows maybe it's just my car, but I know I can't be the only one that does so, most people here drive their cars like they are in an F1 race or something, and that should be the norm for performance RWD no?
    I agree with most of this! Ive had a CTS for 9 years now giveortake, will probably have a 1st gen V6 for the rest of my life. I just love the whole package.
    A few comments, tho about the 5 series. As someone who has owned 3 E39's (the last one being an '03 540i M-sport 6M) I can say that the CTS does not have the interior space of the 5 series. If you are average size, you may not notice it, as they are similar. But try to fill both cars with people, and youll quickly notice that the 5 series had noticeably more room in most areas, including rear leg room, rear shoulder room, etc... The E39 certainly is more expensive when things break, too, but my 03 CTS was much more unreliable then my 03 E39. Luckily, I didnt have to pay anything out of pocket on my 03 CTS, so it was actually cheaper to own and operate (MPG/Insurance) then my E39 5er. But if both were outta warranty, I would have spent 3or4x's as much on my CTS. My 06 CTS has been more reliable then both of the 03's.... I know this is of small importance, but the 5er had a very satisfying deep thud when you closed the door. The CTS sounds much more flimsy when you shut the door.

My big complaint about the 1st gen V6 is that it never got the attention to detail the 2nd gen recieved. The 2nd gen attention to detial combined with the 1st gen design language would have been perfect. Along with the 300 hp V6 and the 6 spd auto.

EasternPA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS

I bought my '04 with about 60k on it back in 2010, and I've only put about 9,000 miles on it since then. I fly around the country for work a lot, and can go months without driving my car. The only regular issues I've had with it are constant dislike of "the GM rattle" that comes out of the front end and twice now I've had my entire console go dead for a few minutes. Once I was halfway between Philly and Orlando and about ten minutes after a gas stop, all gauges dropped to zero for about half an hour. The theory I've stuck with is that I didn't tighten the gas cap enough and it took a little while to build up pressure to "pull" the gas cap all the way closed. The second time happened about a year later, but luckily I was less than half a mile from home. I was also about to start a new gig in DC for 13 months so I was able to just say "f it for now" and let her sit. Haven't had it happen since.

What really keeps me up at night is this fear that my timing chain is going to blow. During one of my Florida drives, I totally flaked on checking out the car before heading out for the drive. The car wouldn't start the day after I arrived. I checked and it turned out I drove the car 1,000 miles BONE DRY on oil. BONE FREAKING DRY. I loaded up 4 quarts, started it up and drove right to the dealer for a full oil change. The car has been fine ever since (which is mind blowing to me), but I can't help but worry that I did some damage and the timing chain is going to go. There was a time here in the forum that people's engines were blowing up at around 70k miles when the timing chain went at highway speeds. You can change it out pre-emptively but it's about a $2,700 job (which is still better than the $6k for a new engine).

So that's the only truly negative thing I would have to say. I wish I did some research before buying the car and knew the propensity for the timing chains to go (right about where I am now) and how expensive it is to ward off the failure (and REALLY how expensive it is if you suffer the failure on the highway). I'm pretty much waiting for the engine to blow up on the highway every time I drive it. I spent last week in Florida and set the cruise at 67 for 17 hours both ways. The car was generally perfect, but 2 or 3 times in each direction, the engine just seemed to skip ONCE. Just two tiny little blips spread out about 10 or 11 hours apart. Otherwise, it ran like a top all the way down and back. No more dash blackouts.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    I know this is of small importance, but the 5er had a very satisfying deep thud when you closed the door. The CTS sounds much more flimsy when you shut the door.
    This bugs me too, sounds like a just shut the door on a Honda...My old '01 STS had that "thud" you are referring to, but that baby was $50k new, compared to the sub $40k pricetag on the CTS.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Eastern PA you have good reason to worry. You run it dry, you damage it. No magic fairy is going to exempt you.

Luckily you're running fine now and if your mileage stays minimal you can motor worry-free. This is a definate warning in the last thousand miles before it snaps. There is a distinct rattle that you can hear from the driver's seat that lasts up to five seconds. If you already have the rattle, get rid of it immediately and find another one. They all have the same magic so find one with all the options you want and the color/engine. With luck you can come out even.

If you don't have the rattle and only use it ocassionally don't worry about it. You'll get more for the car without the rattle than you will with the rattle though and changing cars pro-actively is your best recourse. Study the service histories from GM Global Warranty and avoid any with more than recall service. Some break time after time after time...

Thanks, Rolls, but the rattle I was referring to is coming from the suspension. People have been trying to resolve it for many years. There are many threads covering the dozen or so parts people have replaced trying to silence it. I didn't mean to imply that it is coming from the engine or has anything to do with my running it dry. The only issue I had on the 2,000 mile trip last week were two distinct skips for a split second -- just enough to notice. That being said, I'm clearly at a decision point between preemptively changing out the timing chain and keeping the car to 120k miles vs trading it in while it's still running great, hoping that the chain doesn't blow before I make up my mind. I already had to hack the OnStar to add bluetooth for phone calls (but not music!) and the lack of a Line In jack still pesters me to this day. Add the timing chain to the list of other things I would want to do to complete my pleasure in owning and its pretty even with just trading it in.

I'm also into my 11th year with a Sonata, and I've had my eye on a Genesis sedan. I test drove the Azera, but my knee got pinched between the door and the steering wheel. A sedan should not be that cramped up front.

Y3E
    Y3E is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Was 2005 CTS Sport - Dark Metallic Grey

I've had my O5 CTS for 3 1/2 years now and I've changed the water pump twice. 1st time on warranty and the 2nd time I had to pay $900 for the change. What a rip. Other than that I love my CTS. Although I don't have any problems with it right now, I echo EasternPA's concern regarding timing chain. I hope mine never goes.

If you don't change it first, Y3E, it will. You definitely don't want to rely on hope for that one. Start developing a strategy. You and I joined around the same time, and we've seen so many blow unexpectedly over the years.

Y3, with two water pump failures in your history, your chances of timing chain failure are multiplied by the engine (presumably) overheating.

Eastern, I wasn't talking about the rattle you have, but a rattle from the chains and guards that precedes chain failure.

I wouldn't drive a car that I constantly had to worry about. $2700 is too much for the chain service but that's beside the point. The car didn't go 4 quarts low on oil and survive undamaged. Plus, why did it go 4 quarts low in the first place ? Excessive oil consumption on these cars means the chain is going to break.

Did you see this thread ?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...les-3-6-a.html

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    Hey, where would you send the sailors to get a new to them car, up there where you are at. My sis (sailor) is looking for a ride.
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been out of town/out of touch for a few days.

It's not really an issue of where to buy the car - every one of these crappy, sleazy dealerships can have good cars every now and then. It's a matter of getting their own finances, taking their time, and not letting a dealership talk them into something they can't afford / some POS that looks pretty but hasn't been thoroughly checked out. Seriously, the biggest single issue I've run into is the "bait n' switch" that these dealers will pull, on shady cars that look nice or have the right badge on them. I spent a few months looking first, drove over a dozen CTS's locally, and finally drove 3+ hours just to look at the "perfect" CTS (that I eventually bought), and one of the sailors I have helped took my advice and searched for almost two months before she was ready to buy.

It's all about taking your time, knowing what you are willing to pay, knowing what you want, and being able to walk away from anything.

chucks CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac. CTS 3.6L V6

Damn im starting to get worried after some of the horror stories i read online about the CTS's because since the day the CTS's come out its been a dream car of mine. It and the H2 Hummer. Well after selling some land i decided i wanted to be king of the road so i purchased an 2006 H2 Hummer which was great car. But problem is the year i bought it was pretty much gas prices started sky rocketing. So at the time i also had a lincoln continental which i drove 90% of time because at $100 of gas per filling the H2 it got old quick. So after having it little over 3 years & watching Transformers & falling in love with bumble bee i traded my H2 which only had 21,000 miles on it. So i traded for a 2010 2SS Camaro Inferno Orange with white stripes. It was as our economy started to tank & the Camaro was still only way you got one is by ordering them. So the dealership had so many people wanting them they wouldnt even let you test drive them. So i traded anyways not realizing the horrible blind spots they had. Loved the car but apparently so did many other people so GM flooded market with them. Well that winter come & it decided to snow more than normal & after market flooded with Camaro's i traded it for a 2011 Silverado crew cab which i absolutely love. But i always had a place in my heart for a CTS well i finally broke down last week and bought my 1st ever Cadillac of any kind & still loving it. Its got the 3.6L V6 which at 1st scared me being a V6 but after driving it all i can say is wow. When i bought the camaro they wouldnt let me test drive the 2SS but they had a V6 one someone had ordered & backed out on & they let me test drive it instead. Well it had good power so i new V8 would be great & it wasnt to shabby. But back to point of my CTS i would actually put money on my CTS To beat the V6 Camaro i drove. My point is im very pleased with power & ride. But after reading horror stories will my new CTS well new to me its 2004 model will it still be my a car of my dreams or a nightmare of a car. Sorry for long winded story but im newbie to being owner of a Cadillac & to this sight. Im hoping alot of bad stories are just people who never actually owned one but. Wish they could & thought they just dog them?

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by chucks CTS View Post
    Damn im starting to get worried after some of the horror stories i read online about the CTS's because since the day the CTS's come out its been a dream car of mine. It and the H2 Hummer. Well after selling some land i decided i wanted to be king of the road so i purchased an 2006 H2 Hummer which was great car. But problem is the year i bought it was pretty much gas prices started sky rocketing. So at the time i also had a lincoln continental which i drove 90% of time because at $100 of gas per filling the H2 it got old quick. So after having it little over 3 years & watching Transformers & falling in love with bumble bee i traded my H2 which only had 21,000 miles on it. So i traded for a 2010 2SS Camaro Inferno Orange with white stripes. It was as our economy started to tank & the Camaro was still only way you got one is by ordering them. So the dealership had so many people wanting them they wouldnt even let you test drive them. So i traded anyways not realizing the horrible blind spots they had. Loved the car but apparently so did many other people so GM flooded market with them. Well that winter come & it decided to snow more than normal & after market flooded with Camaro's i traded it for a 2011 Silverado crew cab which i absolutely love. But i always had a place in my heart for a CTS well i finally broke down last week and bought my 1st ever Cadillac of any kind & still loving it. Its got the 3.6L V6 which at 1st scared me being a V6 but after driving it all i can say is wow. When i bought the camaro they wouldnt let me test drive the 2SS but they had a V6 one someone had ordered & backed out on & they let me test drive it instead. Well it had good power so i new V8 would be great & it wasnt to shabby. But back to point of my CTS i would actually put money on my CTS To beat the V6 Camaro i drove. My point is im very pleased with power & ride. But after reading horror stories will my new CTS well new to me its 2004 model will it still be my a car of my dreams or a nightmare of a car. Sorry for long winded story but im newbie to being owner of a Cadillac & to this sight. Im hoping alot of bad stories are just people who never actually owned one but. Wish they could & thought they just dog them?
    No....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.