cts external trans cooler
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Redcaddy83
  • 1 Post By X Rolls-Royce
  • 1 Post By Argent1
  • 1 Post By X Rolls-Royce
  • 1 Post By CTSCHICK
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, cts external trans cooler in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; what's up guys hope all is well. just looking for some info cuz from looking around in the threads I ...
    Redcaddy83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

cts external trans cooler

what's up guys hope all is well. just looking for some info cuz from looking around in the threads I couldn't get an answer.
    1 any recommendations on an external cooler? ( yes I wanna bypass the cooler in the rad that is an ongoing issue)I live in jersey
    2 will I have to cut the oem fittings to connect to the cooler or is there 1 that u can just connect to?
    3 which line is would be the inlet and the return? the long hose or short hose?
    4 what do I do to the fittings on the rad? any fittings to cover it?

all feedback is welcome and appreciated thanks
    RCVW likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    1)...

2) I believe you'll have to cut the hoses to accept the new by pass. You may have to buy extra hoses, if the new one didn't come with any.

3) There is no inlet or outlet per say. Since the fluid flows through with out any restrictions, there is no proper direction.

4) The old will be a huge void if nothingness, so there is not reason to plug them up.

I have one at home waiting for me to install it. My dad picked up and never used it. From 1990, so I doubt it's still made. Ha

KOT

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: cts external trans cooler

This thread has pictures. It was started by a man who speaks Russian and uses Google Translator so he can be a struggle to understand but you'll get the hang of it. Its 5 pages and it should tell you everything you need to know.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...on-cooler.html
    RCVW likes this.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    This thread has pictures. It was started by a man who speaks Russian and uses Google Translator so he can be a struggle to understand but you'll get the hang of it. Its 5 pages and it should tell you everything you need to know.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...on-cooler.html
    But we still haven't received a definite answer from someone who has used one through a cold winter.
    Does it run too cold or not ?
    RCVW likes this.

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I saw some definate answers and temperature ranges and until subarctic they run fine was the general concensus.
    RCVW likes this.

rborden3245 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

I just installed a stacked fin transmission cooler on my 2003 CTS. Very simple process.
    The return is on the drivers side. I simply mounted my new cooler in front of the A/C condenser
    and cut the OEM hoses about an 1 1/2" from their fittings going into the radiator which I capped off. I had removed
    the plastic cowling under the car and ran the hoses under the radiator. I had clamped off the transmission
    hoses before cutting to minimize fluid loss. Adding the new external cooler added another quart to the transmission.
    My car shifts smoother than it ever has! After driving for 15 minutes, or more, you can touch the external transmission cooler
    and notice it is warm, not hot!
    Gotta love that
    !

myown1manarmy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Smoked

ate to ask but i cant find a specifics on external tranny coolers, which model do i need i don't want to get one with the wrong fitting size and have to stretch it on so is it 1/2" 1/4" 3/8?
    Here is one i found if you say it fits ill get it on order http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-M-70255-Su...-/161097742707

Thanks for everything

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

It is more efficient to run the aftermarket cooler in series after the stock cooler in the radiator instead of bypassing it.
    Unless something is actually wrong with the stock cooler.

What happens in colder weather is the transmission fluid gets colder and takes longer to warm up than the oil and engine especially if it has sat all day at work or over night.
    Then the cars PCM has programming in it to only allow the torque converter to lock up after the transmission fluid reaches around 70 degree's and or the engine temp reaches operating temp in really cold weather it is usually both.
    So unless you wait for both to reach operating temp you end up driving a mile or 2 at a higher Rpm because the torque converter isn't locking up yet.

The factory cooler in colder weather helps warm the transmission fluid to get it to operating temp faster just as it helps cool the fluid in really hot weather.
    That is why most cooler manufacturers will recommend installing them in series after the stock cooler.

My previous 2 cars I have owned my b.f. installed an aftermarket cooler along with a data logging device that could read trans temp plugged in to the diagnostic port.
    Not counting driving my b.f.'s 500+ rwhp cars with 4000 rpm stall converters that I would have to monitor all of that before I could even drive off in them.
    RCVW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    Unless something is actually wrong with the stock cooler.
    Yup there is. There have been far too many transmission lines breaking away at the stock cooler for my comfort. Which is why I installed an aftermarket cooler last year, by passing the stock cooler.

Just had a flush last week, after 10,000 plus miles from the cooler install. My brother, the assistant manager, told me that it still has good pressure at 40psi. :-)

KOT

scooter05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

when you guys bypass the stock cooler. what did you do with the original cooler. is it still in the car as weight? is it removable. and just to make sure the original cooler is not the problem it is the connectors? thanks i have a hayden on order and trying to close some questions. i have not even looked but i know it is important seeing so many peeps doing it. i did the same mod to my isuzu trooper.

The factory transmission cooler is built into the radiator, so there's no way to remove it.

As for the issue of the factory set up failing. I honestly don't know where exactly they have failed. Whether being the actual connection on the hose or on the factory cooler.

But when you go aftermarket, you resolve the problem by cutting the factory hose and inserting the aftermarket hose/coupler.

KOT

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

People up North where there is salt on the roads during the winter and etc. etc. were running into problems with the transmission connections that go into the bottom of the radiator corroding badly, and eventually coming out, resulting in sudden loss of transmission fluid.

If I lived up there, I would do this mod. I live in Florida, my tranny connections into the radiator are not corroded at all, so I haven't done this mod. If they start to look bad in the future, then I will.

rborden3245 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

My transmission line running into the radiator was barely threaded in when I got under my CTS and hooked up my external tranny cooler. I could not believe it had
    not failed and simply fell out. I am so glad I bypassed the tranny cooler at the bottom of the radiator!

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance

I have an external oil cooler. It connects to metal pipes running from the transmission with flexible hoses that are clamped with screw/band hose clamps. I am really paranoid about these things coming apart on their own. Thought about using of a good oil cooler that uses steel braided lines with couplers that you can tighten instead of hose clamps.

I found another post that suggests the question I'm asking is the wrong one. It's not a matter of whether I "can" use hose, i need to be asking if I SHOULD use hose.

The answer to that is "NO". Hose is heavier, more expensive, butt-ugly, and less durable than OEM-style double-wall seamless steel tubing. ATF is SURPRISINGLY flammable, if the hose leaks and sprays the exhaust...better have a bigass fire extinguisher handy. Therefore best solution is to custom bend some lines that go all the way to the oil cooler. Has anybody tried that?

The best kit I can find is this one: http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=284

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.