Service Electrical System & Charging System Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Service Electrical System & Charging System Problem in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello when starting the car I am getting message on the dash display "Service Electrical System" then "Service Charging System" ...
    mickeydog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

Service Electrical System & Charging System Problem

Hello when starting the car I am getting message on the dash display "Service Electrical System" then "Service Charging System" and Battery light is on 2003 CTS 105K.I checked the battery connections both are tight the battery is only 2 years old showing 14.3 volts on the dash display info I have owned the car since 48k so not sure but most likely original alternator.When I leave the house the battery light goes off and no sooner pulling out of my subdivision it goes back on for maybe 30 seconds then back off again not sure if I should pull the alternator and replace it or does anybody think it could be something else?I did install HID headlights about 2 years ago could that maybe be the problem never had any problems until these last couple days,I also had a problem with water leaking in the trunk bezel when you would lift the trunk up you could hear the water moving around so I removed the bezel and siliconed the bolts and all around the inside before installing it so maybe the water already done it's damage and I need to replace bulbs not sure hope somebody can help me trouble shoot this problem.Thank You

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Re: Service Electrical System & Charging System Problem

what does the voltage display say when the key is on but the engine isn't running?

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If the alternators needed replacing as early as 104,000 miles we would have heard about it already. Mileage, not time decides the alternator life. Unless you idle alot. Its strictly dependant on the number of revolutions it has spun. I think everybody here still has their originals, and that's mileages up to over 200,000 miles.

The "VOLT CHECK" fuse is located in the underhood fuseblock. I don''t understand what it protects, its associated with the dash integration module. Its failing a test of some sort at start up. I'd check the connections to the alternator if that doesn't pan out.

The volts should be over 12 and over 14. The battery is nice and strong ? Then it is being charged. There was a massive solar flare last week. My disc changer started acting up afterwards. If your two volt readings are good, the battery strong, that fuse intact...did you look for any codes ? Hold down F1 and F6 simultaneously to access the OnBoard diagnostics. Resetting the system by disconnecting for 15 minutes might get rid of the message.

It might be a phantom warning, especially if you pull alot of codes out of the diagnostics. The ECM fails frequently, and then it generates random codes and warnings. Theft warning tops the list, followed by Stability system. This could be the earliest stage of ECM failure.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce
    If the alternators needed replacing as early as 104,000 miles we would have heard about it already. Mileage, not time decides the alternator life. Unless you idle alot. Its strictly dependant on the number of revolutions it has spun. I think everybody here still has their originals, and that's mileages up to over 200,000 miles.

The "VOLT CHECK" fuse is located in the underhood fuseblock. I'd check the connections to the alternator if that doesn't pan out.
    Then you have those people who have a stereo system that draws a lot of amps. Happened to me.

KOT

mickeydog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

Key On motor off 12.0 Volts Ok, Stock Stereo.Thanks

Mickey, try reading my post again. It took a while to compose and its changed substantially.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydog View Post
    Key On motor off 12.0 Volts Ok, Stock Stereo.Thanks

The "VOLT CHECK" fuse is located in the underhood fuseblock. I don''t understand what it protects, its associated with the dash integration module. Its failing a test of some sort at start up. I'd check the connections to the alternator if that doesn't pan out.

The volts should be over 12 and over 14. The battery is nice and strong ? Then it is being charged. There was a massive solar flare last week. My disc changer started acting up afterwards. If your two volt readings are good, the battery strong, that fuse intact...did you look for any codes ? Hold down F1 and F6 simultaneously to access the OnBoard diagnostics. Resetting the system by disconnecting for 15 minutes might get rid of the message.

It might be a phantom warning, especially if you pull alot of codes out of the diagnostics. The ECM fails frequently, and then it generates random codes and warnings. Theft warning tops the list, followed by Stability system. This could be the earliest stage of ECM failure.

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

I must disagree with X on this one! Alternator failure is purely random! 12.0 volts is a little low for a battery. I got to 11.6 when cleaning my car the other day and it totally would not start. 12.6 is required for a proper battery test at a parts store or you'll get a charge and retest

Dave, has anyone had to change out the thing ? I haven't seen a single thread on the alternator.

12.0 is a little low, 12.4 and 14.4 seem ideal.

simple2me is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 06/08 Satillac CTS-O

I get the Service Electrical System message on the DIC when I use the remote start feature. The second wire for accessories was not installed to the ignition switch (goofy installer, pointless to install if you are not wiring it to turn on a/c or heater) so the message pops up but clears once the keys is inserted in the ignition and turned on. I assume my altenator is not charging while i use the remote start and causes the message to pop up. Could this be a bad ignition switch also? I've seen lots on post on here about faulty ignition switches.

You say it only happens when you use the remote start, obvious aftermarket. It's believed to be because of the lack of the second accessory being tapped into. You also believe that you don't think the alternator is charging the system during this time, hence the message. Well how about if you put a volt meter on your battery while in remote start key out. Is the voltage the same as it were if the engine wasn't running? If it is, then insert they key and turn on. Does turning the key remove the message right away, or do you have to press the brake pedal to disable the remote starter feature?

KOT

simple2me is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 06/08 Satillac CTS-O

Yes, aftermarket as explained in other threads. I plan to check it the way you mentioned but I've been busy ( i haven't even had enough time to piss the old lady off). I'm positive that's what is going on. Yes, when the key is turned on the message immediately dissappears but the remote start system isn't disabled until the brake pedal or remote is used. Most of this is Common Sense stuff man. Don't mean to offend anyone but lots of people lack Common Sense, even the smartest people in the world can be the biggest dumbass because they lack Common Sense.

Lmao I totally agree and understand. I loved it when I was waiting in line for court one time. Had this lawyer come in the first set of doors. But had a tough time opening the second set of doors. After the 4th or 5th time I said. "hey ivy league, it says Pull like it did on the first set." The entire line of 15 people laughed their asses off. Needless to say, my case was dropped. :-)

Back to the issue, having the 2nd accessory not powered could be the problem. Mine had a remote starter installed as well, though the installer must of tapped into the 2nd accessory. Its been 3 years and I haven't checked yet. I've been wanting to install my own remote starter, because it's two-way and far longer distances.

KOT

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

It happened to me twice last year. It was during a very hot and humid summer day. It only happens when the car was running for a long time, shut the engine off for approx 30 minutes, start the car, put it in drive and the message displayed the same thing as yours.

The problem was the alternator not able to generate enough power when the a/c, lights on and the transmission was engaging the first gear. I changed the alternator and no more problem since.

For the DIC voltage display, when the engine is running you should see 12.7 volts minimum to a maximum of 15.5 volts. When the engine is not running, you should see 11.5 volts and more. The reason you can see 11.5 volts is because the electrical system is in use so the voltage on the battery is lower. If you want to know the real voltage when the battery is resting, take voltmeter and test directly the battery. it should be higher than 12.2 volts.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I'd bet alternator

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

It sounds like worn brushes in the alternator but I'd never heard of anybody changing theirs until Spyke chimed in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.