Will 245/45-18's work?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Will 245/45-18's work? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just got a set of 18x8 wheels that come with 245/45 tires. Will these wheels fit without rubbing in ...
    Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Will 245/45-18's work?

I just got a set of 18x8 wheels that come with 245/45 tires. Will these wheels fit without rubbing in the front with a CTS that has standard suspension? If not, can I just change the front tires only to 245/40's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Re: Will 245/45-18's work?

Yes, they will work fine. That's the size wheel/tire combo on the CTS-V.

crockone is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    I just got a set of 18x8 wheels that come with 245/45 tires. Will these wheels fit without rubbing in the front with a CTS that has standard suspension? If not, can I just change the front tires only to 245/40's?
    you might have to step up the gameand get dubs man. why walk half way when you can walk all the way!.

04CTS3.6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes 245/45/18 will fit.

I run the exact setup on my CTS.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/660360

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to put my new wheels on this weekend!

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

Mbai2,

Yes, they should fit fine. I was watching those wheels on EBay for over a month (they were relisted at least 3 times with no bidders), but was unsure about the offset. I prefer silver painted wheels but the Vauss only comes chromed. MC2 shows 40 series tires on the Vauss for the CTS, but 45 series for the DeVille and STS. Go figure.

245/45R18's are the same size as the CTS-V, but the V also has a 42mm offset which spaces them 9mm (about 1/3") further out than stock 17" wheels (51mm offset). With the added 20 mm width over a 225 (half of the tire width adds to the inside of the wheel and half to the outside), the tire will be 10mm closer to the upper A-arm pinch bolt, if no adjustment for offset is made from the stock offset. This is why V wheels fit so well with 8.5" wheels (basically canceling tire width with offset).

I'm sure the reason MC2 puts 40 series on the regular CTS is to match the stock tire diameter, since the width is the same for 40 or 45 series. The CTS-V runs the 45 series with a larger diameter (~0.9") and they fit just fine. You're speedo may be off by a little (~2mph @60mph), but that's fairly minor. Filling the wheel wells with slightly bigger tires is not a bad thing in the CTS. ;-)

Personally, I think 18's are the best looking on a CTS. IMHO, 20's are just a little too much chrome showing, and not enough rubber.

Congratulations on the wheels. It was a really great price. You basically got free wheels with four tires.

ronlv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

cant you get your speedo calibrated to be right agian?

i am thinking of 245/40/19 which are the same diamater as 245/45/18 but i want the speedo to be correct

later, ron

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

I asked miscreant this a few months back. He said that the change is minimal and shouldn't require calibration. I calculated it to be 2mph (3.3%). You would have to ask your dealer if they can reprogram, since it's all done in the computer. There has to be a way, though, since the auto, 5-speed, and 6-speed cars have different rear-end gear ratio's, and speed is traditionally measured at the output of the transmission.

In my Jeep, I simply changed plastic speedo gears in the transfer case for about $10. I don't think it's that easy on the CTS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.