Terrible idling; rodent damage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Terrible idling; rodent damage in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ...
    The Zip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Terrible idling; rodent damage

Situation: Started the car one morning and the car was idling bad enough to give you a headache. The night prior the car was running fine. Also, the “check engine light” on page 342 of the owners manual was steady-on. After driving the car a few miles the “check engine light” would begin flashing over 30 mph and go back to steady-on under 30 mph.

Corrective Action: Took car into dealership, and this is what I was advised; “RODENT DAMAGE. MADE DIAGNOSTICS CHECK, PCM GAVE CODES P0301 (CYLINDER #1 MISFIRE DETECTED) AND P0201 (#1 FUEL INJECTOR CIRCUIT). PERFORMED DIAGNOSTICS, FOUND RODENT DAMAGE (WIRING HARNESS CHEWED THROUGH BY RODENT) AT WIRING TO #1 FUEL INJECTOR CAUSING MISFIRE. REPLACED INJECTOR HARNESS, CLEARED CODE AND ROAD TESTED AFTER REPAIR”

Since this is not covered under the manufacturers warranty, the cost would be around 525 bucks, depending on where you live in the country. Luckily, my zero deductible under comprehensive covered all this.

I have seen some pesky ground squirrels at work that climb up into wheel-wells of cars, now I know what they are doing. None of my co-workers have noticed any damage to their vehicles. And I will say one thing, since I drive the only Cadillac in the parking lot, those little critters have good taste.

Needless to say, I have purchased a high-powered pellet gun…, you know the rest,

The Zip

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTS Orlando is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Terrible idling; rodent damage

Citters love the sweet and deadly flavor of antifreeze. Leave them a tasty treat.

MikeyVSeries is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V (White Diamond)

sux to hear about your trouble.. my friend found a dead bird in his STI hood scoop. 1375 in damage to engine

crockone is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

dam that sucks... rodent damage... what ever happened to the good old tree falling on the car gig.. lmao.. just kidding. that must suck man

KadKat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've been finding this on other GM boards and was beginning to think it was just a GM thing the rodents liked.

A friend of mine told me his VW Beetle was acting up and took it in for repair.

Yes, it turned out to be mice or rats eating his wiring.

Rich24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a friend that had his month old BMW start leaking gas when filled. Mice ate through his return line on top of the gas tank. Cost him about $800.. not covered. I couldn't believe it. I thought the dealer was taking him.. guess not!

davblan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Zip, I have not quite had the damage you have had but have had many smaller go rounds with ground animals. Mazda 626 3 times nests in heater box-ditto my chevy caprice,suburban,toyota 4-runner, my moms honda while she was here for a visit. Chewed through the fuel line on the Toy 4-runner. I have taken to dusting the cars that sit for more than three or four days at a time with ground red pepper. I put a generous dusting around and on the tires as this seems to be how they access the rest of the car. Since I have started doing this I have had no further problems.
    P.S. It also works for bears which are a problem around here too!

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

one time in my 91 towncar, i went to start it (we park it outside) and it wouldnt start, so im thinkin, damn dead battery, i go to open the hood...and there is a groundhog just sittin there on my engine lookin at me!!! scared the f*ckin shit outta me!!!! It was a dead battery, good thing i couldnt start, oterwise there would have been a big mess under my hood lol. I have no idea how it squeezed itself in there, the engine in that car is huge and fills up the whole engine bay. and mind you, this was a groundhog not a squireel!

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

friend of a friend had a squirl climb up into his saturn and eatthe entire wiring harness and chewed through the a/c line. Also a few years back a friend's mom was driving home late at night and heard a loud noise from the front of her van, when she got home a BAT was plastered wings spread looking forward on her grill!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quite a few years ago the rail shipping yard of one of the major auto manufacturers became infested with some sort of ground squirrel or prairie dog or something. HUNDREDS of cars had the wiring harness chewed up in the shipping yard before they got it under control. Interesting little problem.....

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

This stuff worries me. My '93 - 60 Spcl is in a rented garage for the winter, 3 miles from my house. I go there once a week and check it out & start it & let it run for 15 minutes. I filled the tank and it's got covers on it. ( 3 king size bed quilts. ) ~ I checked every corner of the garage and all the walls & roof. The only thing I found was one hole, about 1 foot up off the ground. I nailed a piece of plywood over it. The floor is concrete and meets the side walls, without any cracks and the overhead door sits flush on the ground. The door locks. It has windows in the door. Still, I worry. It's a loooooong time from now, until April 15th (I took it from October 15th until April 15th ~ 6 months for $750.00.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

A rodent can gnaw his way through wood like it's cheese. As soon as the neighborhood rats find out about your "baby" they will be lining up to chew and poop on it. Your only hope is to live there and guard it 24/7. On second thought maybe you could hire a cat.

strindl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    A rodent can gnaw his way through wood like it's cheese. As soon as the neighborhood rats find out about your "baby" they will be lining up to chew and poop on it. Your only hope is to live there and guard it 24/7. On second thought maybe you could hire a cat.

depends on the area. I had Corvettes for 12 years that I would store winters in a 10x20 foot garage at one of those mini warehouses near my house. It was a relatively new facility, clean with concrete floors. I would check on it once every couple weeks, and start it up for a bit, and never had any trouble with animals at all. I did have a Tyvex cover on the car, and a plastic tarp underneath it, but those were the only precautions I took.

davblan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    This stuff worries me. My '93 - 60 Spcl is in a rented garage for the winter, 3 miles from my house. I go there once a week and check it out & start it & let it run for 15 minutes. I filled the tank and it's got covers on it. ( 3 king size bed quilts. ) ~ I checked every corner of the garage and all the walls & roof. The only thing I found was one hole, about 1 foot up off the ground. I nailed a piece of plywood over it. The floor is concrete and meets the side walls, without any cracks and the overhead door sits flush on the ground. The door locks. It has windows in the door. Still, I worry. It's a loooooong time from now, until April 15th (I took it from October 15th until April 15th ~ 6 months for $750.00.
    Sandy, I know it sounds crazy but my suggestion of red pepper would help in your situation. This is an old trick a farmer neighbor told me about. Any animal that breaths the stuff in would have the same reaction you and I have to chemical mace. I have never had nor can I think of any side effects of pepper use, what have you got to loose. Wacky as it sounds, I would go to any length to protect such a fine machine as yours.

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

We had a customer bring in an X5 for a squeak noise, found a nest of baby squirrels in the heater case. It took 3 days to get them out, without destroying the case. If you do not want the mess of actual crushed pepper, some of the dog/cat deterrent sprays may also work. I would not spray on the car, but the ground around the vehicle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.