Car won't start even though it wants too!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By X Rolls-Royce
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Car won't start even though it wants too!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a 2007 CTS. When I go to turn the car on it lags and won't start. It acts ...
    Brittany_Edon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS

Car won't start even though it wants too!!!

I have a 2007 CTS. When I go to turn the car on it lags and won't start. It acts like it wants too but just won't. It was just clicking when I would turn the key and I bought a new battery thinking that might help but it didn't. Now it just lags and acts like it's not getting a good connection or enough gas..

Help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

Re: Car won't start even though it wants too!!!

About all I can add is you had better have a trusted mechanic look at it.
    If your real name is Brittany, and you go into a shop with that Cadillac and say, " I got an electrical thingy..." ouch!!
    All kidding aside, ask the mechanic to give you a written estimate with details and post it back here.

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If the starter makes a spinning noise when you turn the key, and yet it does not start, the basic necesssities are gasoline, air, and electrical spark.
    The air to gasoline ratio must be correct; this is determined electronicly and automaticly. The spark must occur at the proper time. This depends on the engine timing, which is determined by the timing chain and the crankshaft position sensor (CPS)

Be certain that there is gasoline in the tank. There is a purge valve solenoid which fails frequently. It enriches the fuel/air mix at certain times and its failure can cause the situation that you describe, but most frequently occurs after refueling.

CPS failure also results in a no-start, such as you describe.

Timing chain failure also results in this no-start. It only breaks when the engine is running, not sitting around in a driveway.

A clogged air filter can also cause a no-start. If your filter was changed recently, it may have not been installed correctly, allowing an air leak.
    Part and parcel of the air filter is the Mass AirFlow sensor, which monitors the amount of air available for mixing with gasoline. Failure of the MAF can cause a no-start. It can be cleaned.

If you aren't at least a driveway mechanic, you can't do anything yourself, but at least you may understand what the mechanic tells you better. Good luck.
    SHORTSTACK and SHORTSTACK like this.

Argent1 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Could be solenoid clicking, even though it's a new batt., it might be weak.
    Could be the TPS clicking too.
    BTW, my air box is not completely sealed & it runs fine.

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post
    My air box is not completely sealed & it runs fine.
    You must be within the limits; a large enough leak effs things up. A month or two ago we went through everything with a guy and it turned out that he hadn't gotten the stock air filter compartment closed properly after changing his filter. He had to tow it to the dealer and that's what they said. They did not charge the poor guy anything.

Argent1 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

The space is as wide as the stock filter, because it is not there anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.