Suspension question.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By X Rolls-Royce
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Suspension question. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; 07 FE5. I thought the front was struts with a strut brace running over the top of the engine. On ...
    headcase650 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Sport 18" Wheels

Suspension question.

07 FE5. I thought the front was struts with a strut brace running over the top of the engine. On the rear is self leveling shocks. The reason I'm asking is my GMPP Major guard extended warranty is not wanting to replace my front struts. They claim they are by definition shocks. The dealer called them struts. I would like to know what it has. The dealer said they were gonna work it out with GMPP and I didn't have to eat the cost. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Re: Suspension question.

Because the car actually has both upper and lower control arms they are technically not struts they are shocks! Kinda like coilovers.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by headcase650 View Post
    The reason I'm asking is my GMPP Major guard extended warranty is not wanting to replace my front struts. They claim they are by definition shocks.
    They are wrong. A strut carries load, a shock simply acts as a damper. If I jack up the live rear axle of a pickup truck, remove the dampers (shocks), and then put it back on the ground, the truck will sit there perfectly happy; the springs are what carry the weight of the rear of the truck, and removing the dampers doesn't change that.

If you remove the dampers (struts) from the front of your CTS, then try to put the car back on the ground, the front suspension will collapse because the load is carried by the coil-over strut assembly (the damper and spring).

Quote Originally Posted by carrnuttdave View Post
    Because the car actually has both upper and lower control arms they are technically not struts they are shocks!
    That logic doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by carrnuttdave View Post
    Kinda like coilovers.
    A coil-over is almost always a strut. Actually, I don't see how it would be possible to have a coil-over that is not a strut. Since a coil-over incorporates the spring perches, it has to be loaded, thus it is a strut.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

If you where to take the front shocks off of a CTS and set it on the ground it would stay.At least the wheels will stay on the car. If you take the struts off of a car with struts the wheels will come off too. Thats the easiest way I can think to explain it

Unfortunately, that easy way to explain it is not correct.

The easiest way to explain it is that a strut is a load-bearing component of the suspension, while a shock is simply a damper, as I said above.

UberCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Sport

Interesting discussion, how many miles on your car? Let us know how this works out.

This is one of the reasons I dislike warranty companies, they kind of make up their own rules when it comes to things like this. Whether they are called shocks or struts doesn't seem to matter, it's a component that wears out and may not be covered by a warranty, even the factory warranty?

Upon further review, the fronts are shocks. My "easiest way to explain it" is oversimplified and is not correct. A strut doesn't just carry load, it acts as a lateral locating device. The CTS's front suspension doesn't need the damper to act as a lateral locating device, because the upper and lower control arms serve that function.

Basically, carnutdave's first response was correct. (Although coilovers can be both struts and shocks.)

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

either way GMPP is being dumb... they cant say they will cover shocks and not struts or vice versa...

headcase650 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Sport 18" Wheels

The dealer only charged me the $100 deductible. But wined about eating the cost of the shocks. I did more searching and for an absorber (as described in gm's parts book, doesnt say shock or strut) to be a strut it must be used to adjust part of the alignment. My car is an 07 with 46m miles on it.

From dictionary.com
    MacPherson strut

noun
    an automobile suspension-system component that consists of a strut combined with a spring and or shock absorber and connects the wheel to the frame of the vehicle.

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

All's well that ends well and $100 beats the heck out of full price.
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.