Cadillac Owners Forum banner

wheel speed sensor

28K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  relacsn 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever had to fix or replace a wheel speed sensor? I don't know which wheel it is yet cause I havnt gotten a fluke meter yet to test them, im just trying to preplan on the difficulty of it.

any help is greatly appreciated

#2 ·
I replaced the front driver's side wheel hub. You can't replace the sensor without replacing the entire wheel hub, Total time (and I'm not joking or being sarcastic) was 25 mins. Make sure you have the right sized sockets and a good breaker bar. Take the wheel off and the complete brake and caliper assembly, including the rotor. IF you've ever done your own brakes, this will be a piece of cake. (Caveat: remember mine was the front, if you have to do the back, it'll be a little more involved with the axle in there.) There are 3 large bolts an the interior side of the suspension that hold the bearing assembly to the suspension. Those will need the breaker bar as they are REALLY on there. Once your get them off, I tapped the hub assembly out with a hammer. Did have to do a little cleaning to get the new one to fit in, but it wasn't much. Wire brush will work.

Honestly I went back inside and the wife thought that I had hit a roadblock and couldn't finish. I told her, no, I'm done already. She didn't believe me.

#3 ·
Thank you, you just answered my question, didnt know if I needed the whole hub or just a sensor. Tools won't be a problem because I am a mechanic in training and have done plenty of hub/wheel bearing replacements and was just wondering if anyone had had any experience in doing one of these and could give me any insight as to how hard it was. Thanks I appreciate it.

#7 ·
Since you didn't bother to mention what "the problem" is, it's impossible for us to tell you if replacing the hub will fix the problem.

It is always recommended that you do not reuse the wheel hub bolts. I ordered mine from Rippy Cadillac here on the forum (I think $30 for 6 shipped, you need 3 per side).
Always recommended according to what or whom? The Factory Service Manual doesn't say anything about them being one-time use. I've replaced my front hubs a couple times on each side (track days on R-compound tires subjects the wheel bearings to a lot of stress) and I'm still using the original bolts. No issues.

#6 ·
Just did this job this morning. 18mm for wheel hub bolts, 18mm for caliper bracket, 12mm for caliper bolts and I think T30 (possbily T25) for the small bolt holding the rotor to the wheel hub (did not reuse, for some reason the new wheel hub hole didn't line up with the rotor hole). It is always recommended that you do not reuse the wheel hub bolts. I ordered mine from Rippy Cadillac here on the forum (I think $30 for 6 shipped, you need 3 per side). I had to turn the wheel to get the top wheel hub bolt out. Also this did not fix my problem. I still have the service stability and service brake assist lights and code C0040. I think it is the ABS harness (rockauto has dorman for $23 and acdelco for $45). Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.