Replacing my turn signal switch, any tips?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Replacing my turn signal switch, any tips? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I am going to replace my turn signal switch on my 05' CTS because for a while now every time ...
    rgvcts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6 CTS Luxury Sport

Replacing my turn signal switch, any tips?

I am going to replace my turn signal switch on my 05' CTS because for a while now every time i turn on my right turn signal the high beams come on, so i figured the problem is in the switch because while the signal is on, if i hold it back or pull it back the high beams wont go on and it works the way it should...

Has anyone replaced one before? Do I have to remove the steering wheel or can I just remove the steering colm covers to get to the switch? And does anyone know the size of the bolt that holds the wheel in place? All help is much appreciated...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Replacing my turn signal switch, any tips?

no tips?

well, heres the new switch. it looks like i only have to remove the steering column top and bottom covers to get to the two screws that hold the switch. But to do that i have to remove/ pull out the key/ignition switch, has any body done this???

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

When I work on my car tomorrow(today actually), I'll look at it. But I highly doubt that you'll have to remove the ignition switch.

KOT

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

just did mine yesterday. I had the same EXACT problem and here in queens it ruffled some feathers lol. U just need to remove the shroud around the steering column, careful not to break it. Then i managed to remove the switch by using a torx screw driver on the top and then turning the wheel to gain access to the second screw. Disconnect the wires off the old one and then do the same steps backwards with the new turn signal switch.

2007CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007CTS3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
    just did mine yesterday. I had the same EXACT problem and here in queens it ruffled some feathers lol. U just need to remove the shroud around the steering column, careful not to break it. Then i managed to remove the switch by using a torx screw driver on the top and then turning the wheel to gain access to the second screw. Disconnect the wires off the old one and then do the same steps backwards with the new turn signal switch.
    Thank you for reply. I have the same problem with you guys. Could you tell me did you remove the Negtive terminal wire from the battery? I want to try, but not sure if the air bag will be triggered.

Thank you.

I found 2 ways to replace your turn signal switch, 1 is to only remove the bottom and top steering colum covers and 2 is to remove the steering wheel and just pull on the covers to access the T-25 torx screws that hold the turn signal switch in place...
    I have not yet replaced my TS switch because i wanted to remove the covers but couldnt bcuz i didnt have the inverted torx sockets to remove the top cover at the time, but i did take pics of my attempt....

to remove the bottom cover there are 2 t-25 torx screws holding it on the bottom, remove those and it should be loose now. you wont be able to remove it till you pull out the ignition key cylinder, to do so insert a thin longish flat tipped rod/ into the smallest hole on the bottom of the cover closest to the key hole and the key cylinder should slide right out, do so carefully** ( u may have to turn the key fwd a bit)
    This is the left side of the steering column with out the cover... the yellow circles is where both T-25 torx screws hold the TS switch

to remove the top cover you'll need an inverted torx bit to get the screw that holds it in, out (yellow circle)

**-Tip: my problem started when i tried to put back in the key cylinder and it would not go in all the way bcuz some how i mis aligned the gear slot inside that it fits in to, i had a hell of a time figuring it out on how to get it back in correctly so i could turn on my car, 2 codes popped up Service theft system and Ignition canceled remove key :O, In the end I removed/slipped off the black key sensor to access the black ignition switch i then removed the switch with inverted torx bits. once you remove it there is a black plasitc wheel with teeth on it that needs to be realigned. Then I inserted a small wrench inside the cylinder hole to turn it and realign it with the black gear wheel, in the end i got it right and the car started and no more codes poped up... I hope this helps anyone and that they dont have the same prob i did... I did not take pics of this, sorry, i was distracted imagining my car on a flat bed on its way to the dealership to get fixed "phewf"

The other way to get to the TS switch is to remove your steering wheel by using a flat screw driver to turn the 3 slots behind the wheel to pull of the air bag, remember to disconnect your battery and wait a few minutes. Then use a big socket, bigger than a 19mm (i was able to use a 13/16 (21mm) spark plug socket) to remove the center nut that holds the wheel in place. Ive read the wheel should slip out and no wheel puller is needed but mine did not slip out :P once u carefully disconnect the wires & the wheel is off and u can just pull on the steering column covers to remove the TS switch...

This is the key cylinder when its out, the yellow cirlce is the clip u push in through the little hole to slip it out...
    Good luck, and take your time, remember these are just my tips always consult a pro first

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
    how did you remove the top and bottom shrouds?

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

i pulled the key cylinder out. If u have any trouble doing this in the how to sticky u can download the steering column pdf and it shows you how. My cylinder didnt come out as easy as yours did although putting it back in was a breeze. Also before u put the new TS switch in, grease the little mechanical components on the switch. The acdelco one i recieved came dry. It makes the switch feel alot smoother and quieter when you flick it.

956Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts Black Raven

How do you grease the switch?

I have not seen the inside of the switch and would not know where to grease it, any pics? I still have not gotten to fixing mine. It still turns on my head lights when I use my left right turn signal : /. I will eventually get to it...

956Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts Black Raven

Just replaced mine yesterday, the easy way was harder than having to remove airbag etc IMO. I searched forum and followed this URL http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...witch-any.html

Came out to be a 30 to 45 minute job considering wait for ABS to lose power. I ordered turn signal switch on Amazon for 27 bucks and its a perfect fit.

TexCad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Any idea how much this costs at the dealership?

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

OP I have ran into this issue as well. RG posted the proper way to do it however I chose an easier way out, you can see the method I came up with here

I didn't want to touch the steering wheel and the airbag and the key lock cylinder I just think that's way too much dangerous work just to get to a screw.

0849 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS, 3.6 w/Sport Package

I just wanted to say thanks for the info posted about the high beams/turn signal problem. My 06 CTS developed this issue a year or so ago and seemed to get
    progressively worse. I got the switch form Autozone for $43 and just did the replacement today. I was able to do it by removing the plastic top covers from
    steering wheel area and flexing the bottom cover enough to get a the torx screwdriver in there, and without touching the ignition switch.

Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.