Real World Test 3.2 VS. 3.6 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Real World Test 3.2 VS. 3.6 in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; You know it doesnt mean anything with the person driving a car unless it is manual. Every car that I ...
    TheCaddyKidd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Re: Real World Test 3.2 VS. 3.6

You know it doesnt mean anything with the person driving a car unless it is manual. Every car that I race that is automatic and so is mine I have one. I beat my bro when he was driving his girls Nissan Altima 3.5, I have beat my brothers 2003 Mercedes CLK320, I have beat my boys 91 Camaro, I have beat a Honda Prelude with VTech engine, I have beat 1997 Camaro Z28 and all of them were pushed.. Im tellin u all that the CTS is a beast and i know that when i raced the 3.6 it was being pushed to the max... the 3.2 just has inner portential once its pushed... enough said... im not gonna argue anymore.. the cts is a beast and i love the 3.2 that i have that is bone stock... and still beating everything that it has come up against..

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaddyKidd
    You know it doesnt mean anything with the person driving a car unless it is manual. Every car that I race that is automatic and so is mine I have one. I beat my bro when he was driving his girls Nissan Altima 3.5, I have beat my brothers 2003 Mercedes CLK320, I have beat my boys 91 Camaro, I have beat a Honda Prelude with VTech engine, I have beat 1997 Camaro Z28 and all of them were pushed.. Im tellin u all that the CTS is a beast and i know that when i raced the 3.6 it was being pushed to the max... the 3.2 just has inner portential once its pushed... enough said... im not gonna argue anymore.. the cts is a beast and i love the 3.2 that i have that is bone stock... and still beating everything that it has come up against..
    that's weird seeing how i've test driven the 3.2 when they first got released and i currently own a 3.6l. It feels like 3.6l was definitely faster than the 3.2 i test drove.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I've driven the 3.2 (auto) back to back with a 3.6 (auto) within an hour for approx. 10 miles each incl in town and a few miles on the fwy. they were both dealers cars with 3 ppl total (inlcuidng myself - the driver) in them, so I couldn't beat on them too hard, but I did give them a good test drive. The 3.6 DEFINATELY felt stronger. This is entirely subjective, and was about a year ago. FWIW

-Ben

CTS Orlando is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaddyKidd

You're smoking crack.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Uhhh... The CTS couldnt run with a 3.5 SE Altima? M/T got 0-60mph in 6.4 and 1/4 in 14.9 with the '04 CTS 3.6L, which was auto.

Someone on some board got a 0-60 in 6.26sec... So I wouldnt doubt it.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Uhhh... The CTS couldnt run with a 3.5 SE Altima? M/T got 0-60mph in 6.4 and 1/4 in 14.9 with the '04 CTS 3.6L, which was auto.

Someone on some board got a 0-60 in 6.26sec... So I wouldnt doubt it.
    we weren't doing 0-60 runs. Rather highway runs

pjohnesq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'm sorry but I refuse to let any Infiniti G35, Nissan Maxima/Altima, or 3 Series Bimmers take me. Just the other day a G35 coupe pulled up next to me on a steeet in LA..Light to light he couldn't hang. As far as how much more hp I'm getting with my mods, I have no clue, but I do know one thing, the CTS 3.6 is fast....and stands up to ANY car in its class....any day. PERIOD!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pjohnesq

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It's no surprise that the 3.6L CTS runs with the 3 series, Maximas, and G35s of the world. Check out the gear ratios:

Type:
    5-speed electronically-controlled automatic with lockup torque converter
    fully synchronized 6-speed manual with single overdrive

Gear ratios (:1):

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Fifth:

Sixth:
    ----

Reverse:

Final drive ratio:

Combine those tall gear ratios with rear wheel drive, VVT/255hp, 3,700 lbs (less w/ stick) and 53-47 weight ratio, and the CTS on a good day ought to do 0-60 in less than 6.4 sec, 1/4 in less than 15.0 sec. The 6-sp, which has not been tested by the magazines as far as I know, ought to do 0-60 in 6.1 sec and the 1/4 in 14.6 sec...maybe even better after break-in. It's one fast mother for a 6 banger. And the 3.2 outperforming the 3.6??!! a fluke :drinker

NYCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Lux Sport

I agree with CTS Orlando- There are alot of variables associated when evaluting which car is faster. I think one of the biggest factors (not counting modifications) is the driver. Most CTS owners are "Alpha" types so we are all somewhat aggressive people. I personally have smoked..03/04 Altima 3.5 SE (Altima was 1 block ahead of me in a 5 block strip- YES I SMOKED HIS ASS! IN Brooklyn, NY) , 04 Maxima (FDR DRIVE) , Acura TL (Palisades Pkway NJ) , and a beemer (forgot what series- I-87 upstate NY) and my car has NO modifications, unless you wanna count the fact that I keep my whip ridiculously clean and waxed thereby reducing the drag on it LOL.

But seriously thinking back and reviewing the data I know on these other cars. I had the upper hand because, I knew the road better than the other drivers, more aggressive in my tactics and I'm more in tuned with my car. I know when and how to push it. A lot of drivers have these monster whips and never gone past 80 MPH !!!

Regardless, I'm really enjoying my CTS. But until we get a few test subjects under the same conditions and run several comparison tests I would be hestitant to say EVERY CTS can BEAT so and so car.

MikeyVSeries is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V (White Diamond)

i said it before and ill say it again.. I am coming froma 350z that ran a 13.26 at englishtown .. now i have a stock 05 cts auto trans, the 350z was stick.. and i am impressed with the power, it really is a quick car

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

The variable I think we are seeing now later in the CTS' life that wasn't apparent in the magazine road-tests is the CTS' ability to adapt to the driving style of it's owner.

The CTS has a learning computer that adapts engine calibrations and shiftpoints to it's driver over time. Drive it like you stole it in Sport mode and your car will perform harder and faster than someone who cruises town once in a while. This is a variable that will not be present when new car testing as it takes a few miles for this learning process to happen. This is also in addition to the normal increase in performance that an 'average' car will see due to break-in.
    I know it sounds like ricer-fantasy speak, but it's true. The car learns how you drive (this is also the reason the CTS' on-board processor is double the power and speed of that used in previous generation cars) and adapts it's computerized controls to your habits.

As for the 3.6L being faster than the 3.2L?
    With four tenths of a litre larger displacement and the added advantage of variable valve timing in the exact same car, it is undoubtedly faster. How much faster? Enough to see the difference on a dragstrip for sure under optimal conditions. But enough to gaurantee that on the street every time? No.
    What does stand out is the refinement of the 3.6L. It is head and shoulders above the crude 3.2L in this area and much of this refinement may give the impression that it is much faster than the 3.2L. It is unquestionably the better overall performer.

Both stats taken from MotorTrend.

2003 Cadillac CTS (3.2L engine w/5 speed automatic)
    220hp
    220ft. lbs. of torque
    143mph limit
    0-60 in 6.86 seconds
    1/4 mile: 15.2
    3509 lbs.

Cadillac CTS (3.6L engine w/5 speed automatic)
    255hp
    255ft. lbs. of torque
    143mph limit
    0-60 in 6.40 seconds
    1/4 mile: 14.9
    3568 lbs.

How does the 3.2L post times that close to the 3.6L when it has both a larger displacement and VVT against it? That lies in the rear end ratio, which is different between the two cars (most likely changed to preserve fuel economy).

All that said, the 3.6L will take the 3.2L provided that they are both sport models in the same condition with drivers with comparable driving habits.

Butter Cup is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can personally feel the torque difference in the 3.6

TCSisOFF is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

OK guys. Check this out. My 03 3.2 auto has 40,000 miles on it now. ( I know, wow) I have beat numerous 3.6 manuals and autos... sometimes. I've found that between the touchy cold-air sensor and the a/c being on or off can make a big difference in acceleration. At 12,000 miles I added a set of 20" chrome wheels and noticed a huge power drop. Over the last 18,000 miles, the car has become much quicker. Read the Popular Mechanics article where the staff says the 3.2 feels "peppier" than the 3.6 in a comparison.
    Oh, and do you know why GM decided to drop the Opel-based 3.2 V6 to use a crappy GM 2.8 V6??? The 3.2 becomes faster than the 3.6 over time. I hate to say it, but I think the 3.2 should've cost more than the 3.6 and is worth more now that some miles are under it's belts... so to speak.

Bottom line: Sometimes my 3.2 impresses, and sometimes it dissapoints. It is noticably different every time I start the car.

newton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 3.6 CTS MT

Quote Originally Posted by TCSisOFF
    OK guys. Check this out. My 03 3.2 auto has 40,000 miles on it now. ( I know, wow) I have beat numerous 3.6 manuals and autos... sometimes. I've found that between the touchy cold-air sensor and the a/c being on or off can make a big difference in acceleration. At 12,000 miles I added a set of 20" chrome wheels and noticed a huge power drop. Over the last 18,000 miles, the car has become much quicker. Read the Popular Mechanics article where the staff says the 3.2 feels "peppier" than the 3.6 in a comparison.
    Oh, and do you know why GM decided to drop the Opel-based 3.2 V6 to use a crappy GM 2.8 V6??? The 3.2 becomes faster than the 3.6 over time. I hate to say it, but I think the 3.2 should've cost more than the 3.6 and is worth more now that some miles are under it's belts... so to speak.

Bottom line: Sometimes my 3.2 impresses, and sometimes it dissapoints. It is noticably different every time I start the car.

99 WS-7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the ability to drive a 3.2 and a 3.6 back to back anytime I want. The 3.6 has more pull. No doubt about it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.