Is my transmission finished?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Is my transmission finished? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys, we"ll today I was driving home on the hwy doing about 110-120 km/h, and went to go pass ...
    family-man is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is my transmission finished?

Hey guys, we"ll today I was driving home on the hwy doing about 110-120 km/h, and went to go pass somebody, so i pushed the gas alittle bit harder than usual, probably went into 3rd, than the usual 4th gear (i have an automatic in my '06 cts). So rite after i did that, about 5 seconds later a pure cloud white smoke is seen in my rearview and keeps travelling with my car. I knew it wasnt coming from the engine becase that was still revving, but while in Drive, the car would just rev as it would rev if you are to have it in Neutral. I managed to pull over and tried several times to shut off the car and try Drive again and still just revving. I looked under the car and no oil from the transmission but there was a clear oil spill on the ground and looks like it had come from under the engine, but couldnt really determine where it was coming from because the underside of the engine has those plastic covers. anyways does this sound like a case of a completely blown trannie or is there something i should look into. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Is my transmission finished?

Is the lines from the transmission still connected to the radiator?

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

I might have to bid u welcome to the broken radiator club.

sterling is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Sounds like what odthetruth said, one of the lines connecting the radiator probably busted. Same thing happened to me with the same symptoms. Probably run you around $500 for a new radiator and labor.

hoopr50 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts

this sounds exactly like what happened to me and mine was the tranny cooler line blew out of the radiator

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Is there any way to PREVENT that cooler line from blowing out ? I'm getting antsy about this happening to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopr50 View Post
    this sounds exactly like what happened to me and mine was the tranny cooler line blew out of the radiator

family-man is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoopr50 View Post
    so if you guys have had the exact same problem with no movement, just revving in drive (same revving as if you were to be in Neutral), did you guys require and new transmission or just replaced those lines and/or the rad and/or the transmission? if just the rad and/or lines, was the trannie fine once these parts and fluid was put back inside the trannie?

Another question I have, since the CTS-V is based on the same body/frame as our cts, is there a different setup for the cts-v considering this problem occurs once the engine/trannie is under heavier than normal load which causes higher pressure tolerances within the lines, because the cts-v is, afterall, a performance car which is meant to be driven under heavy load, so back to my question, is this pretty common with the V models (all yrs) and 08+ cts's?

Since it seems that there is alot of us having this problem, was there any sort of "recall" or bulletin, because they (GM) have to put these cars through rigorous testing, and since its been happening alot, wouldnt they know of it? I purchased the car privately, which means i dont have warranty, so Im probaly going to have to pay for the labour and parts myself...

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

your trans should be fine. our tranny's will not engage unless it is pressurized with fluid. and from the looks of it we all recovered from the problem without a new trans.

CT ESSENCE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

f-m, I would rule-out the problem by first repairing the tranny hose/radiator issue, and then filing with the required amount of tranny fluid. Hopefully the tranny is not engaging at this point because of low fluid level, and not because of catastrophic damage.

EDIT: Ooopsies,..Royal Flush beat me to it.. LOL.

I have been trying to understand this common problem before it happens to me. I already suggested (no one answered me) that since the dealer's transmission flushing machine had a defect that was fixed later, and it connects to where the hose blows out, if the rash of blowouts is actually from damage done at the first 50,000 mile tranny flush. Anybody ?
    Quote Originally Posted by family-man View Post

Since it seems that there is alot of us having this problem, was there any sort of "recall" or bulletin, because they (GM) have to put these cars through rigorous testing, and since its been happening alot, wouldnt they know of it?

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    I have been trying to understand this common problem before it happens to me. I already suggested (no one answered me) that since the dealer's transmission flushing machine had a defect that was fixed later, and it connects to where the hose blows out, if the rash of blowouts is actually from damage done at the first 50,000 mile tranny flush. Anybody ?
    what exactly are you trying to ask without all the extra nonsense you put in some of your post? i never answer you most of the time, because I dont understand your questions or concerns

johnys customs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cts 3.6 Auto

^ 2

lmfao.....i thought i was the only one who thought that.....i noticed alot of members on here do the same....i catch myself saying out "what the fuk are you asking again?"

eh nevermind....i just go to the next one...
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by johnys customs View Post
    ^ 2

lmfao.....i thought i was the only one who thought that.....i noticed alot of members on here do the same....i catch myself saying out "what the fuk are you asking again?"

eh nevermind....i just go to the next one...
    this actually use to be a great forum once upon a time, but now there is more nonsense talk than actual helpful information...hince a reason why a lot of the good members left or rarely come around, now granted there are a few still around

Sorry guy, thanks for being blunt. The question is how can I keep my cooler lines from blowing out ? Change the hose before its too late maybe ?

Also the tensioner for the serpentine belt wobbles. Is that normal or should I replace it ? (nobody answered me on that one either)

Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    what exactly are you trying to ask without all the extra nonsense you put in some of your post? i never answer you most of the time, because I dont understand your questions or concerns

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Its not the hose, its the fitting, so in order to keep it from blowing out, you'd have to change the rad.

THE BEST WAY TO STOP THE ISSUE IS TO PATCH THE RADIATOR AND RUN AN EXTERNAL TRANSMISSION COOLER

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.