2004 cts makes clinking noise shifting from park to reverse or drive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silver_viper_tb
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2004 cts makes clinking noise shifting from park to reverse or drive in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; There are no other symptoms---yet! Anyone know what could be causing this? By the way the noise is under the ...
    paulmcconnon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

2004 cts makes clinking noise shifting from park to reverse or drive

There are no other symptoms---yet! Anyone know what could be causing this? By the way the noise is under the shifter area under the car.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CT ESSENCE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 2004 cts makes clinking noise shifting from park to reverse or drive

The problem is most likely related to a worn shifter linkage rod bushing or a worn bushing on the Shifter assembly. The shifter linkage rod (#13 on the diagram) has a bushing on the end where it connects to the transmission. The shifter assembly (#8 on the diagram and expensive) has a bushing on the bottom end where it connects to the linkage rod. When one or both of the bushings wear out, a very distinct metal-to-metal clanking sound will occur when the Shifter is engaged..

These bushings are not available separately. You will have to replace the entire Shifter Linkage Rod, the Shifter Assembly, or both. The linkage rod is relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to replace.

konajim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

where can you buy these bushings and diagrams?

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by konajim
    where can you buy these bushings and diagrams?
    The diagram is not for sale I assume. PM one of the site vendors such as Chris (RippyPartsDept) and have him give you a quote. Forum members get discounted prices.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CT ESSENCE
    The problem is most likely related to a worn shifter linkage rod bushing or a worn bushing on the Shifter assembly. The shifter linkage rod (#13 on the diagram) has a bushing on the end where it connects to the transmission. The shifter assembly (#8 on the diagram and expensive) has a bushing on the bottom end where it connects to the linkage rod. When one or both of the bushings wear out, a very distinct metal-to-metal clanking sound will occur when the Shifter is engaged..

These bushings are not available separately. You will have to replace the entire Shifter Linkage Rod, the Shifter Assembly, or both. The linkage rod is relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to replace.
    The pic is not working

Muhammad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 2005 Sports Luxury 2.8 V6

CT ESSENCE, the picture is not there... Can you please publish the picture too, THANKS

----------

Also can these "Shifter Linkage Rod, and Shifter Assembly" be replaced by "DIY". Does anyone have the GM part numbers

Kad4Life is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 FE5 Blk/Blk 'Nadine'

I get a bit of a snick when I put the car into reverse; nothing when put it into drive .

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
    CT ESSENCE, the picture is not there... Can you please publish the picture too, THANKS

----------

Also can these "Shifter Linkage Rod, and Shifter Assembly" be replaced by "DIY". Does anyone have the GM part numbers
    Check his response in this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-clueless.html

3.6L Linkage part #25757504

jeffao is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

I had my rear diff bushing, center bearing, and flex discs replaced and my car still clunks when changing into drive or reverse. It even still clunks when letting off the gas while driving.

silver_viper_tb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by jeffao View Post
    I had my rear diff bushing, center bearing, and flex discs replaced and my car still clunks when changing into drive or reverse. It even still clunks when letting off the gas while driving.
    i've seen some threads around here that indicate the transmission mount if its sagging can also cause this issue. I ordered flex discs, trans mount, revshift insert , and rear diff bushing (and the shift linkage that always falls apart) I have the same clunk that seems to happen to all these cars. I'll let you know how I end up
    DavidBoren likes this.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, Breather cap, drilled PCV, tranny cooler...

These are two entirely separate issues.

Paul, the shift linkage in your car is whats making the noise. When I bought my car, it was doing the same thing. I took it to the dealership and paid the $145 or whatever it was to have it fixed. No more noise from that.

The transmission mount/flex discs/differential bushing/cradle bushings problem is different. And is a lot more expensive to get rid of. Kudos to silver viper for doing it right and addressing everything at once. That is the only way to do it.

rickparker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS, SRX

yep... sounds like a shift lever (linkage) I just replaced the one on both 2005 srx and cts
    ez fix, passenger side between exhaust and floor board you will need a 13mm wrench and a 10mm socket 3" extention.
    cost like $44 plus shipping from nalley gmc Brunswick (online)
    don't run over yourself.......aw I just noticed this was years ago by now you realize what a pos cadillacs

are

holsgo is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

I don't see Cadillacs as POS's at all. Very well made cars in my experience. Go get a VW to see a real POS.

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

rickparker do you have the part number? Is it the same CTS part number as posted by Bluehaze above ( 3.6L Linkage part # 25757504) but the link above to a differen thread shows 25757505.

Do you replace this linkage from under the car, or do you have to gain access through the center console from inside the car??

I would recommend getting the proper part # based on your VIN from Chris @ RippyCadillac (he's in these forums) anyway you can replace the linkage from under the car. I did mine yesterday and I didn't have to undo the center console at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwayne View Post
    rickparker do you have the part number? Is it the same CTS part number as posted by Bluehaze above ( 3.6L Linkage part # 25757504) but the link above to a differen thread shows 25757505.

Do you replace this linkage from under the car, or do you have to gain access through the center console from inside the car??

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    These are two entirely separate issues.

Paul, the shift linkage in your car is whats making the noise. When I bought my car, it was doing the same thing. I took it to the dealership and paid the $145 or whatever it was to have it fixed. No more noise from that.

The transmission mount/flex discs/differential bushing/cradle bushings problem is different. And is a lot more expensive to get rid of. Kudos to silver viper for doing it right and addressing everything at once. That is the only way to do it.
    So guys after spending all day under my car yesterday everything is done (except one teeny thing). Prep by sticking your creative steel bushing in the freezer, this should make it easier to drive in. My recommendation is to drop the exhaust because it will make everything much simpler and you only have to undo the four bolts at the exhaust up by the transmission (dont forget to unplug the O2 sensors) then undo the tunnel brace towards the back and you can drop the exhaust. That gives you all the room you need to replace the trans mount, and both flex discs (the rear one seems to bind up a bit for some reason) while you have all that down, undo the two rear bolts that support the diff (with a jack under the differential. You will need a 21mm wrench , preferably a ratcheting since those bolts are in a tight spot that a ratchet can't back all the way out) then unbolt the front differential bolt that will let the diff come down. My differential bushing was completely falling apart and the center section just fell out. then take a sawzall and cut a groove in the sleeve for the bushing. this will let you fold one side of the bushing sleeve in and the sleeve will just pop out (there is a video of this on youtube somewhere) then take the new bushing out of the freezer (find something the appropriate diameter to drive it in with) then just walk it in with a hammer. then put everything back together, reassemble the exhaust and take her for a test drive.

After doing all this ( and then replacing my diff oil with Mobil 1 75W-90 (you need two quarts and from what I've seen you dont need the differential friction modifier for limited slip diffs based on the autozone reviews ) I have no more clunk! and since I replaced the linkage going to the shifter no more clinkity clink clink when shifting either! awww yeaaaah....! next weekend is my transmission service.

oh yeah the one teeny thing? I wasn't able to get the revshift insert in the trans mount. I put a new trans mount in but the insert didn't seem like it was going in. I will get one of my more mechanically able buddies to do it and let you know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_viper_tb View Post
    I would recommend getting the proper part # based on your VIN from Chris @ RippyCadillac (he's in these forums) anyway you can replace the linkage from under the car. I did mine yesterday and I didn't have to undo the center console at all.

----------

So guys after spending all day under my car yesterday everything is done (except one teeny thing). Prep by sticking your creative steel bushing in the freezer, this should make it easier to drive in. My recommendation is to drop the exhaust because it will make everything much simpler and you only have to undo the four bolts at the exhaust up by the transmission (dont forget to unplug the O2 sensors) then undo the tunnel brace towards the back and you can drop the exhaust. That gives you all the room you need to replace the trans mount, and both flex discs (the rear one seems to bind up a bit for some reason) while you have all that down, undo the two rear bolts that support the diff (with a jack under the differential. You will need a 21mm wrench , preferably a ratcheting since those bolts are in a tight spot that a ratchet can't back all the way out) then unbolt the front differential bolt that will let the diff come down. My differential bushing was completely falling apart and the center section just fell out. then take a sawzall and cut a groove in the sleeve for the bushing. this will let you fold one side of the bushing sleeve in and the sleeve will just pop out (there is a video of this on youtube somewhere) then take the new bushing out of the freezer (find something the appropriate diameter to drive it in with) then just walk it in with a hammer. then put everything back together, reassemble the exhaust and take her for a test drive.

After doing all this ( and then replacing my diff oil with Mobil 1 75W-90 (you need two quarts and from what I've seen you dont need the differential friction modifier for limited slip diffs based on the autozone reviews ) I have no more clunk! and since I replaced the linkage going to the shifter no more clinkity clink clink when shifting either! awww yeaaaah....! next weekend is my transmission service.

oh yeah the one teeny thing? I wasn't able to get the revshift insert in the trans mount. I put a new trans mount in but the insert didn't seem like it was going in. I will get one of my more mechanically able buddies to do it and let you know how that goes.
    Sooo took the car out for a drive yesterday and I have a vibration at 25-30 mph, I wouldn't call it major, but noticeable. Its most noticeable when you let off the gas, which makes me suspect driveline angle. I will see if the revshift insert for the tranny mount makes a difference and let you all know here

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.