[HOW-TO] AUX (Line-in) on CTS without sat radio - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, [HOW-TO] AUX (Line-in) on CTS without sat radio in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a non-XM non-navi US-spec car with Bose. I don't think I have RCAs in the center console, but ...
    vmarks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6L AY6 stock

Re: [HOW-TO] AUX (Line-in) on CTS without sat radio

I have a non-XM non-navi US-spec car with Bose. I don't think I have RCAs in the center console, but I wish I did.

Instead of cutting wires on the GM wiring harness, has anyone figured out the connector part# and reverse connector part#? If we had that, we could buy two connectors, wire straight across for every signal but the six we need, and make the splices on the adapter we're making. This way it would be really easy to take the relay and input circuit in and out without cutting the stock wiring harness.

So, anyone have these part# ?

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

i gotta ask, since while using a 3.5mm jack its using a common negative for the left and right channels.... what would happen if you just spliced into the existing negative L & R without cutting? Reason I ask is that i have an auto switching 3.5mm jack and it also had a common negative for both channels. so I could attach all the + channels to the jack by cutting the wires and so forth like the normal installtion goes.... but instead of cutting the negative wires, I could just splice mine into the current ones.

will this cause a problem having the left and right negatives on a common negative at the head unit?

txcaddykush is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac cts 3.2

Congrats. Nice diagram. Did you had to run a wire from the battery to the switch?

montmont is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cts Bose System

I did this but when i turn the switch on and plug up my ipod there isnt any sound coming out of the speakers. Was i suppose to cut the the brown harness then connect the
    radio wires from the relay box to it?

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

i had the same issue where no sound would come out when i hit the switch... untill id knock the relays. It was like they werent getting enough juice to switch over. also when they would switch over, the sound was so low i had to have the volume cranked on the radio. I decided to put it all back to stock and get a wir

montmont is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cts Bose System

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    i had the same issue where no sound would come out when i hit the switch... untill id knock the relays. It was like they werent getting enough juice to switch over. also when they would switch over, the sound was so low i had to have the volume cranked on the radio. I decided to put it all back to stock and get a wir
    What did you do to fix it?

illwill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 6spd

Wired up like pyromosh's picture with the same relays from radio shack. The audio cuts out when I flip the toggle switch but when I press play on my phone I dont get any sound. My radio is the stock Siemens in a 2005 cts.

pyromosh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by illwill
    Wired up like pyromosh's picture with the same relays from radio shack. The audio cuts out when I flip the toggle switch but when I press play on my phone I dont get any sound. My radio is the stock Siemens in a 2005 cts.
    I tried to respond to your PM, but the system said your mailbox is full.

I did make a small mistake in the diagram, (I swapped the colors on the two wires leading to the right speaker) but it should have no impact on the circuit, since it's just a speaker.

Other than that, this is exactly how I have it wired up in my car.

My hunch is that you have a bad connection somewhere. I would check the connections first.

If the audio is playing fine from the head unit, then cutting out like it should when you hit the switch, then we know a few things are good:
    1. The wiring to pins 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 on both relays is okay.
    2. The relays themselves are working as they should.

So I'd start by checking my connections to pins 1 and 2 on the relays and the connections to the aux-in jack itself. On the jack I used, the pins on the jack are *really* close together, so it would be really easy to have a short there. Make sure you don't have any bare wire shorting across pins. If I remember right, I think I even snapped the pin off the first jack I used and had to replace it.

If that all checks out, I might try testing the system in reverse (unless you soldered it already, then it's probably to much of a pain to test this way).

To do that, swap the wires connected to pin 1 on each relay and connect it to pin 3. Then swap pin 2 with pin 4. This will reverse the setup so that the aux-in is default and the head-unit is only active when the relay is turned on. If that doesn't help, then the problem is almost certainly either the aux jack itself, or the wiring to it.

Keep in mind that the level from the aux in will be a lot lower than the head unit. Make sure you have it turned up a bit. Hope some of this helps!

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Which wires going to the connector are ground? Obviously one of the light green (which one?) and maybe the dark green?

Figured it out anyway.

I've successfully used a 4PDT switch instead of 2 relays. It's easier to wire up but because the switch is bulkier, it doesn't look as good. Pics to come soon.

What's the easiest way to disable power to the relay when the engine is off? The cigar lighter still gets 12V when the engine is off, right? If the coil is energized it will be an additional drain on the system and I am sure I'm not the only one who can't remember to turn things off when I'm done with them.

Thyine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    Figured it out anyway.

I've successfully used a 4PDT switch instead of 2 relays. It's easier to wire up but because the switch is bulkier, it doesn't look as good. Pics to come soon.
    so how did that go?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    What's the easiest way to disable power to the relay when the engine is off? The cigar lighter still gets 12V when the engine is off, right? If the coil is energized it will be an additional drain on the system and I am sure I'm not the only one who can't remember to turn things off when I'm done with them.
    switch power in to an acc lead from the ignition or splice into the power to the head unit

Quote Originally Posted by Thyine View Post
    so how did that go?
    It worked. I guess I haven't posted pics yet.

deLeon0587 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Can you post pics of the 4pdt switch and the wiring of it? I really wanna get this done

Thyine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by deLeon0587 View Post
    Can you post pics of the 4pdt switch and the wiring of it? I really wanna get this done
    i used the relays myself but its the same essentially without any power connections. The pins are in 4 groups of 3. 1-3, 4-5, 6-9,10-12...COM is on 2,5,8,11 you connect 1 channel to each group and you will not need to hook up any power to it. not sure where you can install a switch that size its going to be pretty big

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.