Trans cooler line went... car stopped moving
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Trans cooler line went... car stopped moving in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; radiator.JPG Stopped at a light and noticed car wouldnt go. Pulled immediately to the side and noticed alot of trans ...
    RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

Trans cooler line went... car stopped moving

radiator.JPG Stopped at a light and noticed car wouldnt go. Pulled immediately to the side and noticed alot of trans fluid leaking from the area of the radiator i circled in the pic. When i checked the line was disconnected at the point where i circled with the bolt circled still attatched to the line. I was wondering is the bolt supposed to come off the radiator because i'm able to pull the line away from the rad and it still has the bolt attatched. i couldnt get in there enough to look at it since i had to leave the car in the street by my job. but here's a pic of what i was able to snap with my phone.

rad pic.jpg

the bolt in the pic was still on the line and wouldnt grab when i tried pushing it up against the rad and turning. Would i have to replace the radiator and the line. I'm hoping it didnt break off the plastic area where the plastic is supposed to be on? I did some reading about lines rupturing and trans fluid mixing with coolant but my coolant levels seemed alright and the fluid looked reddish so i doubt there was any mixing. Any help would be appreciated. Pushed my car to a spot in front of a shop but i don't want to go in there and get a bunch of excuses to tear me a new *******.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Trans cooler line went... car stopped moving

If the trans is still good, you can most likely JB Weld the bolt back into the rad, and run an external cooler.

There's a reason I keep emphasizing everyone run that cooler. Especially us from NYC

[edit]
    You'd have to check trans fluid, not so much just coolant, because the trans can suck the coolant into it when the line breaks.

does having a seperate cooler affect you in the winter at all? I read that by running the trans fluid through the rad helps the car warm up during the winter. How's yours behave in the winter? i'm about to pull the trigger on a rad and trans filter on rock auto dot com.

talladega is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

I just had this exact same thing happen to me Friday when I went camping 3.5 hours from home. Got my dad to come tow me home. Transmission is getting looked at tomorrow to see if its still good or not.

I read a lot about running an external cooler which would be fine, but I'm in Canada where it gets to be -40C in the winter. How is that going to affect it?

In severe subzero weather like that, I think trans fluid can gel up in an external cooler, but it would depend on the cooler's design.

If I was going to go with an external setup, I'd run a B&M SuperCooler and synthetic ATF trans fluid. The reason behind it would be the B&M supercooler has a bypass valve that runs thick fluid back so it warms up faster until its warm, then it runs the normal route. I know Chevyhighperformance had one similar to this cooler. And my reasoning behind the synthetic is because it wouldn't gel up as easily.

I'd go with a fluid similar to this:
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atd.aspx

From what I read, AMSOIL starts gelling at like -60 or -70 F

CT ESSENCE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

RF, sorry to hear about your radiator/tranny issue.

Mine recently started leaking because it developed hairline cracks on the top tank. I purchased a new radiator from www.radiatorautostore.com for $146 shipped.

Just thought i'd share the info.

In severe subzero weather like that, I think trans fluid can gel up in an external cooler, but it would depend on the cooler's design.

If I was going to go with an external setup, I'd run a B&M SuperCooler and synthetic ATF trans fluid. The reason behind it would be the B&M supercooler has a bypass valve that runs thick fluid back so it warms up faster until its warm, then it runs the normal route. I know Chevyhighperformance had one similar to this cooler. And my reasoning behind the synthetic is because it wouldn't gel up as easily.

I'd go with a fluid similar to this:
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atd.aspx

From what I read, AMSOIL starts gelling at like -60 or -70 F
    do you think it would have any negative effect on performance? which one of these would i be wanting to get? http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Aut...n-SuperCoolers

if i do that then so I hook it up to the radiator at all or just close off the rad and only use the cooler?

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

What is it that actually breaks ? The line, the threaded connector, or the actual plastic tank ? Could be vibration combined with dissimilar materials.

I have heard so much about this but have not experienced it on my CTS. I have an ext. cooler on my truck but it goes through the rad tank first.
    I still don't understand how coolant can get into the trans if the two are separated. In the past it was always a sealed line inside the coolant tank so they couldn't mix.
    This set up kept the tranny close to the engine temp. Heat is a real killer of most things esp. tranny's, so I don't see winter being a big prob.; maybe just let the car warm up a few mins. before driving ?

CT ESSENCE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post
    ...What is it that actually breaks ? The line, the threaded connector, or the actual plastic tank ? Could be vibration combined with dissimilar materials.

...I still don't understand how coolant can get into the trans if the two are separated. In the past it was always a sealed line inside the coolant tank so they couldn't mix.
    Great questions. Hope someone chimes in with the answer(s).

You close off the rad and only use the cooler. The fitting is what breaks off from the radiator.
    All of those are great, but the 70255 9,800 BTU one would do just fine.

Ordered http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2157534 this morn along with http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2746654 trans oil filter. Have to take a trip to buy the trans fluid transfer pump so i can fill the baby up and some fresh coolant. radiator is supposed to arrive by wed which is my day off hoping it arrives early. Already got the front shocks in so it looks like it may be an all day affair. Any one recommend a good coolant or trans fluid? rep at auto zone said it was ok to use dex 4 something tells me i should check in with my cad compadres and see what experience says.

ps looks like the fittings that connect to the hose are different hoping i could remove them and use the existing cooler lines.

If you remove fittings, put some of that loctite/teflon tape type of stuff on the threads (i forgot what its called for automotive use, might be loctite as well.)

I definitely wouldn't run small hoses on the ext cooler. It has a decent amount of pressure that would require about the same size hoses that are already on the trans lines. Just make sure to clamp everything down good, and keep an eye on it for the first 2-3 days, especially under hard use to make sure the lines are secured.

just went to the garage thats working on my car. they flushed everything today and said the tranny is still good. i took it for a drive and all is well. they have an external cooler hooked up temporarily right now. the new rad will be in tomorrow and i picked up an external cooler with the bypass built-in. will be getting put in on wednesday morning.

should i get them to replace all the hoses and stuff too?

so far everything working out better than expected.

No need to change hoses if they are still good. And gotcha on everything. You coulda just had the bolt just JB Welded into the rad and it would have been good also. No need for a new radiator. They all seem to chip either way. Design flaw

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.