Trans cooler line went... car stopped moving - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Trans cooler line went... car stopped moving in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by thiczle this doesn't make sense to me. are you telling me that the line busted off the ...
    odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Trans cooler line went... car stopped moving

Quote Originally Posted by thiczle View Post
    this doesn't make sense to me. are you telling me that the line busted off the rad,(which happened to me this morning)and instead of either replacing the rad (because the threads stripped) or replacing the hose (because the threads on the bolt are worn) I have to jb weld the rad shut , and by a tranny cooler ? I also do not understand how the antifreeze can mix with the trans fluid. if the line is set up this way wouldn't it be mixing with each other from day one?
    You can buy a new rad and go that route, but the best route (considering you live in a decent climate) would be external cooler due to the crappy fittings on the OEM radiator (which will be crappy regardless)

The system keeps both fluids separate. Some people have had more damage then just the fitting breaking, which has resulted in coolant being sucked back. Thats why it gets mentioned. If its just the fitting, you should not have any issues. Should be a simple seal and refill job. It should take you about an hour, hour and a half IMO to be able to set up a decent external trans cooler and have the car back up and running.

Sorry to hear it crapped out on you.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

thiczle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

ok so i spoke to the guy at a radiator repair shop down the block, and he told me that there is a brass fitting that i can unscrew from the radiator, and i can bring it to him and he will give me a new one, or order one, or whatever. so when i get a chance to look at the car on saturday i will see if there is a brass fitting and if it can be unscrewed. if this is the case, then this will be alot cheaper fix than doing a new radiator, or tranny cooling kit, etc. all i will do is change out the fitting, and then change the tranny fluid and filter.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Nope. Don't do it. Trust me. You'll be back at square one. There's a 10 million page thread on this exact issue, and the quick, cheap, and effective way is to seal it up, and external trans cool it. Go whatever route you want, but there's no fixing the fitting once its blown. You can order a new fitting, its not going to thread in anymore.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

thiczle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

so much info, and a decision to be made. i am still weighing my options here. i found a radiator for $129 http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...e:Radiators%29 ITS THE FOURTH ONE DOWN. THE SILLA. I am thinking about the performance radiator also which is the one under the silla. i would like to keep car original, and i really dont like the jb weld option, so this is what i am thinking. 1) If i take radiator out, and bring it to repair guy who says that he can remove and install a new brass fitting i assume the charge will be around $80 - $150. 2) i can buy a mew radiator for $130 - $250 and have peace of mind, or 3) i can seal up plugs, and buy an external trans cooler. so here is another question. how do i know if the male end that blew off the radiator is not damaged? it seems to be fine, and from what i have read here is that the fitting in the radiator itself would cause the fitting to blow off. anyway the point for me is to make sure i dont have to fix it again, so i think i am just gonna get a new radiator. what do you think of the ones i ahve stated here? thanks by the way for the input, it is def helping me make a better decision

----------

i have one more question where can i get the cooling lines for the transmission, other than the dealer who wants $250

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.