"No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushings) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushings) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I need some how much do you charge for the set...
    Jimmy3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts

Re: "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushi

I need some how much do you charge for the set

befit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts 2005

Re: "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushi

I am having the same problem with my 05 CTS, very sloppy stick, no reverse, no second gear. Would you consider making the bushings for me? If you agree please let me know the cost and how many bushings I would need. Thanks!

956Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts Black Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    If it's under steady acceleration only, and not during coasting or initial acceleration, it's not the diff bushing, and probably not the flex discs either. When the flex discs start to go, you'll start to feel worsening noise and vibration when NOT on the gas pedal.
    So if I have my cts in park with no foot on pedal only idle and its vibrating really bad this could be the cause? Sorry I didn't quite get this

bladehack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hey folks,
    This fix is the real deal (thanks OP!). I just got my 6MT fixed (77K miles) with some delrin bushings I had machined to the dimensions specified in this thread. I had these bushings machined for free (it helps to have a friend who owns a machine shop) and he machined 5 for me...I obviously only used 2. If anyone wants the remaining 3 bushings to fix their 6MT, shoot me a PM with your mailing address and I'll get them out in the mail to you ASAP for free.

Boosted77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2.8 tt

Hello sorry to bring up and old post but.... The Allan key on mine is not 4mm or 4.5mm and five is to big any help will be greatly appreciated.......

bon
    bon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Sedan

First time poster because of this thread. Bought my first car out of school, a 2008 CTS manual and on the sixty day anniversary (temp plates expired is the only reason I know this) my shifter went loose and I lost reverse from those exact bushings failing. I followed this thread and made bushings that really look to be more durable than the stock bushings. Helped that I worked all of college in a machine shop and my boss still lets me turn the lathes after graduating! You saved me the $400+ Cadillac part and I owe you a beer OP

That being said if enough people want those bushings machined I can help you out because I have access to a lathe and can turn them easily . I know this is an old thread but if someone searches and finds this post please pm me if you want bushings turned on a lathe, I am sure we can work something out.

dan-b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

I bought a 2006 Cadillac CTS with 112,000 miles, three years ago. It now has 142,000 miles. I love this car. It has the 3.6 liter engine, the six speed Aisin transmission and limited slip rear differential. It started clunking shortly after I bought it. I replaced the front differential bushing with the Creative Steel urethane bushing, which got rid of about half the clunking. Not long after the clunking started, it began to make a thumping noise while accelerating hard in first gear. This thumping gradually became worse over time.

About a month ago, something broke in the shift mechanism that caused me not to be able to get the car into reverse. My research on CadillacForums.com revealed that there are a couple of plastic bushings that are a weak link, they break and fall out, and result in the shifter being loose and sloppy, to the point I was unable to get the car into reverse. CadillacForums’ user SX54DX has a great thread on how to fix this problem. He has the dimensions of the plastic bushings and how to make new bushings out of new sway bar bushings. I have a better solution. I bought brass bushings from FirstBronze, the part number CFM010016016. They didn’t have a bushing with the exact length, so I did have to grind the length down on a bench belt sander. As bronze is somewhat soft, it only took about 10 minutes to grind down each bushing. SX54DX dimensions are in English and the bronze bushings are in metric. I believe that standard metric dimensions are needed and the bushings I bought feel like an exact match with the exception of the length. Here are the dimensions: inside diameter 10mm, outside diameter 16mm, flange width 3mm, and overall length 16mm. The flange outside diameter is not critical, but it is 22mm. SX54DX has the overall length at 12mm, which I believe is fairly close, DON’T grind off too much length. When the length is getting close to what you think you need, try to install the link to see if it fits. When you get the shift link out of the car, you can insert the bushings and the link pin to see exactly how much length to grind off the bushings. I bought three bushings in case I messed one of them up. I suggest you do the same. The three bushings with shipping were about $40. SX54DX says that you can replace the bushings without removing the driveshaft and lowering the transmission. Maybe if you have really small hands you could, but I think it would be really difficult. I had trouble with my drive shaft, so I needed to remove the driveshaft anyway. I was able to replace the bushings without lower the rear of the transmission. The hardest part about removing the drive shaft is removing the exhaust, as you will almost certainly need to drill out the exhaust flange bolts, after you break off the old rusty flange bolts. Other than that the exhaust is fairly easy to remove, although I must admit that I had my car on a car lift. I replace the exhaust flange bolts with stainless steel bolts, 1.5 inch by 5/16”. They were just barely long enough, and you might be more comfortable with 2.0” long bolts. I used top lock nuts. SX54DX has some very good pictures of the process.

A big shout-out to SX54DX for starting this post. How cool is a Cadillac with a manual transmission??!!

I’m going to post about replacing my drive shaft as well, so if you have clunking noises or thumping noises, search for my posts.

Best of Luck,
    Dan from Minnesota

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Has anyone used the Creative Steel shifter bushings before?

https://creative-steel.com/product/0...fter-bushings/

Cheaper than me going to a shop to have them machined, and more convenient than doing it myself. I'm about to pop the order but would like some feedback if possible.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.