"No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushings) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushings) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Do you think the same measurments would apply for the linkage with a 5-speed manual (M35 - Getrag 260)? Since ...
    chlapec10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2006 2.6L M5

Re: "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushi

Do you think the same measurments would apply for the linkage with a 5-speed manual (M35 - Getrag 260)?
    Since I was informed today that the part I need, 25746745 is discontinued and no longer in stock anywhere in europe or USA, but any tips are appreciated.

Thanks

dsdirect is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushi

Looking at a couple of flanged sleeve bearing options from QBC for the six speed shifter bushing issues:

Bronze
    # BSNFLNMF101610 - http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/Sl...llS_F_SB_M.htm
    Sleeved
    # BSPFLNM101203E - http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/Sl...tal_F_P_M.htm#
    Poly
    # BSLFLNMS101610 - http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/Li...ve_F_SL_M.htm#

Anyone try these?

I measured both the pin and the larger opening for the bushing and I think the bronze may work perfectly although the flange thickness is .125" vs the .150" shown on the hand drawn diagram earlier in this thread. I guess it could be shimmed if need be.

TomJrzk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS V6 6-speed manual

I thought it was from this thread but I don't see the poly part I used to fix mine. It measured 0.594" in length so I had to grind it down to about 0.490" to fit but it works perfectly. I just held the bushing to a portable grinder and it melted right down...I had to scrape off the melted waste. It was *very* snug on the "axle" so I had to grease it up. It helped that my wife is great at helping with mechanical stuff because her hands fit the space much better than mine.

I don't have the URL anymore but the phone number for alliance express is 8008904595 and the part no is FB1550A. The bushings cost about $3 each so I bought 3 more than I needed. I'm shifting into reverse as good as ever now.

nathan albertson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts

Hello, I also have a '06 cts...having identical problems...definitely interested in your offer in making a set...if you could provide a price and contact me ASAP, it'd be greatly appreciated...570-764-4286

----------

Hello, I also have a '06 cts...having identical problems...definitely interested in your offer in making a set...if you could provide a price and contact me ASAP, it'd be greatly appreciated...570-764-4286

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

I did this fix and the dimensions were spot on but I wouldn't use the poly bushings again. Lasted about a year, too soft and rubbery. Great intially but just got sloppy over time. Get some delrin 1" rod off eBay and call local machine shops mine charged $10 to turn them on a lathe.

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

never mind

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Yeah, these bushings could be made very quickly on a lathe from a Delrin rod. Make a few cuts, drill a center hole, part it off, done. It's the kind of stuff someone with a lathe would do for beer.

wconduff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts

What a car-saver..

Just got my 2005 CTS back from the local dealership. After 3 weeks, they told me that no repair, replacement, etc is available. They did offer an extra $3000 Loyalty Bonus in on a new car trade. The Manager of the area's Operations said that Cadillac was looking at getting a replacement part manufactured. On drawing board now, might be in testing phase in August 2013, If past and accepted then all will be good and then they will manufacture replacement parts. If not past then WHO KNOWS when parts would be available. I'm not waiting for Cadillac to do what they should have done in the first place.

Add this to the oil consumption issues for most GM cars, I am going elsewhere for my next new car. Sorry GM. You had your chance.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by wconduff View Post
    What a car-saver..

Just got my 2005 CTS back from the local dealership. After 3 weeks, they told me that no repair, replacement, etc is available. They did offer an extra $3000 Loyalty Bonus in on a new car trade. The Manager of the area's Operations said that Cadillac was looking at getting a replacement part manufactured. On drawing board now, might be in testing phase in August 2013, If past and accepted then all will be good and then they will manufacture replacement parts. If not past then WHO KNOWS when parts would be available. I'm not waiting for Cadillac to do what they should have done in the first place.

Add this to the oil consumption issues for most GM cars, I am going elsewhere for my next new car. Sorry GM. You had your chance.
    Hello wconduff,

I understand how waiting for a possible parts replacement can be frustrating. I am sorry to hear you feel that way based on your current situation. General Motors relies heavily on loyal customers and I hope one day we may be given the opportunity to earn your business again. If there is anything you would like to further discuss, or questions you may have, please reach out to us via private message or by Email at socialmedia@gm.com with "ATTN LAURA" in the subject title.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

wconduff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts

Update: Got the shifter working. Had a local machinist make the bushing (nylon, neoprene, something like that). Shifts great! BTW: While repairing shifter, I noticed that the flange (vibration dampner, or what ever) was badly worn. Went to Cadillac and guess what? They do not have a replacement and can not get one I went to Larry's Driveshaft in Lowell, AR. They got me a new one.

On the road again.... NO THANKS TO CADILLAC. I'm really disappointed in them.

Interestingly enough, I'm an electronic technician by trade not a mechanic. :-)

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by wconduff View Post
    Update: Got the shifter working. Had a local machinist make the bushing (nylon, neoprene, something like that). Shifts great! BTW: While repairing shifter, I noticed that the flange (vibration dampner, or what ever) was badly worn. Went to Cadillac and guess what? They do not have a replacement and can not get one I went to Larry's Driveshaft in Lowell, AR. They got me a new one.

On the road again.... NO THANKS TO CADILLAC. I'm really disappointed in them.

Interestingly enough, I'm an electronic technician by trade not a mechanic. :-)
    Hello wconduff,

I am happy to hear that you were able to obtain the part you needed for your CTS and that it shifts great! I apologize that we were not able to find a replacement part in your situation. If you have any future questions or concerns, please feel free to contact either Laura or myself via private message or email. Thank you very much for keeping us updated.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Snake Enterprises is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

So I went to tackle this yesterday. Wish I had a little smaller hands but I was able to get everything out fine. However when I got the shift arm out I noticed that the factory rubber bushings were not worn at all. However the metal sleeve with the nylon surrounding it did not look in the best of shape. Is there anywhere I can get a replacement for that part? I can only assume that this is preventing me from getting into reverse/excessive play in the shifter. Well... I hope it's the problem.

I don't really care what I have to do to fix this. Does anyone make a new short shifter for our 3.6 6 Speeds?

Thanks for the write up though. I just wish my bushings were worn when I was able to get them out lol.

FYI, i didnt put any new parts on, and once I put everything back together, I was able to get into reverse no problem until a few minutes ago. (About 24 hours since I put everything back together) now it's back to how it was.(sloppy & no reverse)

What is the diameter of the shaft that goes through the bushing? .400" is not a standard drill bit size, so unless you have a small boring bar you'd have to go to the next biggest or smallest increment. M10 is a little bit smaller, 13/32" is a little bit bigger, and then if we go to the less common bits we have X and Y bits on either size.

I assume 13/32", which is 0.40625", would work fine?

Snake Enterprises is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

I just find that this is going to be pretty difficult to get done. Im not sure i have enough room to get a micrometer up under the car the the space where the rod goes through the bottom of the shifter to get a proper measurement for a shop to make something for me.

I'm looking into replacing the pieces joining the actually shifter to the shift arm. Not at the transmission side, but at the Shifter side of things, where it makes the 90 degree turn to go to the transmission.

and to make things better I am now getting a vibration under acceleration sometimes. I'm assuming flex discs and or differential bushing. Or transmission mount.

might as well do everything lol

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Enterprises View Post
    I just find that this is going to be pretty difficult to get done. Im not sure i have enough room to get a micrometer up under the car the the space where the rod goes through the bottom of the shifter to get a proper measurement for a shop to make something for me.

I'm looking into replacing the pieces joining the actually shifter to the shift arm. Not at the transmission side, but at the Shifter side of things, where it makes the 90 degree turn to go to the transmission.

and to make things better I am now getting a vibration under acceleration sometimes. I'm assuming flex discs and or differential bushing. Or transmission mount.

might as well do everything lol
    If it's under steady acceleration only, and not during coasting or initial acceleration, it's not the diff bushing, and probably not the flex discs either. When the flex discs start to go, you'll start to feel worsening noise and vibration when NOT on the gas pedal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.