"No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushings) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushings) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Tony - got 'er done today and your measurements were right on! I used 1" bar stock, nylon or Delrin ...
    w3jn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushi

Tony - got 'er done today and your measurements were right on! I used 1" bar stock, nylon or Delrin I think - it's not polyurethane as I thought. The center hole was drilled using an "X" size bit - .405" as I recall - and the bolt fit perfectly. It's a huge improvement from the original, even before the bushings were damaged. I didn't notice any noise/vibration with the much more hard and rigid bushings I made.

Here are the bushings I made on our shop lathe - took about a half hour for both.

I can't thank you enough! Next time you're in Greece, beers are on me!

it might be cool if you could make them for others. Might even be an opportunity for some profit.
    I'm able to use the shop lathe for very limited personal use... I'd probably get in trouble if I started a business out of this
    CTSM likes this.

sx54dx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: "No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - HOW-TO w/pics - (Shifter bushi

Dang, you had to go and show me up and use a lathe and make them look all professional and pretty!

No problem at all, you are very welcome.
    I'm glad you are back on the road and that I was able to help out a little bit.

An Army buddy of mine is stationed in Italy. My girlfriend and may be planning a visit sometime early next year if everything goes as planned.
    You never know, I may just take you up on that offer!
    ~Tony

fricky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hey Tony,
    I am now without reverse and the dealer wants to charge me $750 to install a new shifter assembly. Your instructions look like something I could do, but I have no good means of making the parts. How much would you charge to make a couple for me and how fast could I get them?

Thanks,
    Jason

Hey Jason,
    Sorry for the delay. I have not logged on in a while.
    Let me know if you still need them and we can work out the details. It would just dependd on how long it would take me. Shouldn't be too much...
    Just message me your info and I'll start on them as soon as you let me know.

vmarks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6L AY6 stock

I had to do this recently.

I couldn't have done it without this writeup by sx54dx. (THANKS!)

I did a search for bushings that were closer and ordered a set if the polyurethane ever wears out. I also took more photos during the job.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mx5ugumcdi...structions.pdf

kjo
    kjo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

hi, excellent write-up.
    I was wondering if you would know if this would work for a 2006, 2.8 model? I have a similar problem, reverse doesn't work - the other gears are fine tho. I brought the car to the dealership and was told they no longer make the shifter anymore. (I'd like to know how Cadillac justifies this). so repairing it seems like the only way.
    I would appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks
    Kevin

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

I would think its along a similar principal Kevin, if you can see the shifter linkage and it looks the same as in the photos it'll be a similar fix, worth a shot if it gets it road worthy again!

caddy_cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Thanks, for the information.

I found a company in Louisville, Dynosty, that said they would fabricate the part. Took it in today and four hours later they custom machined the bushings, installed and tested it.

I found this company to be absolutely honest, trustworthy and reasonable. They only charged me $435 to fabricate and install the parts.

If you are within driving distance of Louisville, you can not find a better automotive company.

In fact they are in the process of replacing my 2.8 V6 with a high performance V8. Will let you know the estimated price.

Dyonsty
    13100 Middletown Industrial Blvd
    Louisville, KY 40223
    Phone: 502/384-8885
    email: sales@dyonsty.com

vmarks - Very professional write up! Glad it worked for you and nice job finding some new bushings options!

kjo - like CTSUK said, it should be the same basic procedure. The dimensions may be slightly different though.

~Tony

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I thanked you earlier in this thread, but I didnt need this DIY at that time. Now I do. So...thanks again!

pemola is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi sx54dx
    Can you make the bushings for the 2.8L and send them to New York??
    Please let me know! Thanks

Hi sx54dx

Will you make the bushings for the 2.8L?
    If so, let me know how to get in touch!

Hi caddy_cts
    I have the same issue and mine was still under warranty!! Cadillac is unresponsive!!!
    Will the Dyonsty company make the bushings for the 2.8L and send them to New York??

caddy_cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I am sure they would make the bushings for you. Will get in touch with them Monday. They have enought material left over to make the bushings.

You may contact me via email rexstevens@ibscorporation.com

Happy to help

kjo
    kjo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hi
    I want to thank you for this info. I'm no machinist or mechanic but I gave this info to to a mechanic who used it to fix my car. The shifter works perfectly.
    Again, thank you for sharing this information.

Kevin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.