Auto-x - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Auto-x in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by AAIIIC Weld wheels are typically pretty lightweight drag wheels, I'm not sure I'd trust those with sticky ...
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Auto-x

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Weld wheels are typically pretty lightweight drag wheels, I'm not sure I'd trust those with sticky tires and auto-x duty. Finding a 17x9 wheel with 5x115mm bolt pattern will probably be very difficult unless you go with something like Diamond Racing Wheels or other custom wheels.
    Yikes! I just looked at Weld's website, those 17x9 wheels ain't cheap! A set of CCW Classics would be in the same price range and I would think would be much better suited to auto-x abuse. Either way, that's an awful lot of money to throw down for a non-serious auto-x effort.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

nurgburgrings are great wheels for autox. I think they are less than 18 lbs and not much over $200ea.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Yikes! I just looked at Weld's website, those 17x9 wheels ain't cheap! A set of CCW Classics would be in the same price range and I would think would be much better suited to auto-x abuse. Either way, that's an awful lot of money to throw down for a non-serious auto-x effort.
    I didnt look at the price...yea, thats quite a bit more than I want to pay...
    Those CCW's are fantastic, tho... They sorta remind me of some BBS rims, is it the BBS RS's? Im loving the BBS CH-R's right now, too... I need a firecracker for a car to run some of these wheels, tho...

2 Sundays from now, should get a chance to test everything! Might not get new pads in time, but thats ok for now! Wish I could get the trans tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    nurgburgrings are great wheels for autox. I think they are less than 18 lbs and not much over $200ea.
    Great suggestion! They even come in 17x9's and an assortment of 18" and 19" sizes. I noticed the TSW trackstars are in Forza Motorsports 34, wish they came in a 5x115!
    I kinda like the MAllory5's too...theyre kinda like the stock 18's, but the spokes curve into the hub even deeper then the stockers... Is there a proper name for that? Its the opposite of a deep lip...

Anyhow, looking at Nurburgring RF's in Matte Gunmetal 17x9. Just waiting to hear back about offset. Thanks for the tip!

I don't know much about it. I only know the nurburgrings because they are one of the very few 18" that will clear brembos. I was gonna get a set to use with AS tires for the winter because maybe I would use them down the road as track wheels. But I went with a different wheel to save a little cost, and I liked the look better. nurbs have a great look, just a little too open for my taste.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I've run some Hawk HPS FerroCarbon pads I picked up from R1 concepts... I read about them in the V section. Said alot of guys used 'em for track days. When I had 'em on the CTS, they were tough. I took them off but they still aren't worn down yet. I plan on changing them back on whenever I go auto-x as well.

The HP+ is what guys were running on track. The HPS is less aggressive, and the consensus is that they're not as grippy as the stock V pads. They generate less dust than the stock V pads, so that's good, but they're not all that great for performance driving.

With that said, I'm of the opinion that just about any decent street pad will work for auto-x duty. Having aggressive street performance pads is an improvement, but there's so little braking in a typical auto-x and the speeds are so low that the pads I mentioned before are only going to offer marginal gains.

+1 Stock pads and brakes are plenty for autocross. You are only running a minute or so at a time, and you don't do much aggressive braking. The best mod for autox would be R spec tires. Lots of hard, tight cornering. Although, you probably don't get them warm enough to be fully effective. Same would go for track pads. An HPDE is where you need strong brakes.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Talk about mass quoting lol...

I've heard runnig plain rotors vs drilled (unsure about dimpled and slotted designs) the plains are better for auto-x because the drilled are prone to cracking, specifically between 2 drilled holes.

I don't buy into the whole drilled/slotted rotor thing. Maybe slotted for racing, to help keep the pads fresh. On the street, all they are going to do is wear your pads out faster. Like a cheese grater. There are lots of articles out there on the dangers of drilled rotors.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

I don't know if drilled is good of bad for street, but some vettes (if not all now?) Come with drilled rotors OEM..but more math goes into the drill spots on those.
    I can say that I do like the slots on my rotors...they saved me once when a transport truck tried to switch lanes and almost ended up on top of me...I sood on the brakes and just missed the back end of the trailer as it moved into my lane.
    I have no probelm changing pads more ofter for the added bite I get from the slotted when I need it.
    Yes, they chew down pads faster, but to what extent hard to say...I checked my pads after 20k and they are still around 70-80% (estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    The best mod for autox would be R spec tires. Lots of hard, tight cornering. Although, you probably don't get them warm enough to be fully effective.
    R-compounds will most definitely get warm enough to be effective at auto-x events, assuming you buy the right R-compounds, of course. Kumho V710s, Hoosier A6s, and the soft/super soft Hankook Z214s are all auto-x tires, while Toyo RA-1s and R-888s, Nitto NT01s, BFG R-1s, Yoko A048s, etc are more suited to track days and wouldn't get warm enough at an auto-x.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    Talk about mass quoting lol...

I've heard runnig plain rotors vs drilled (unsure about dimpled and slotted designs) the plains are better for auto-x because the drilled are prone to cracking, specifically between 2 drilled holes.
    That's not really a concern for auto-x, as the brakes just don't see much use/abuse. For track use it's definitely true that drilled rotors are prone to cracking.

I don't know if drilled is good of bad for street, but some vettes (if not all now?) Come with drilled rotors OEM..but more math goes into the drill spots on those.
    So do most top end sports cars, but guys who regularly track them typically replace the rotors with blanks.

I can say that I do like the slots on my rotors...they saved me once when a transport truck tried to switch lanes and almost ended up on top of me...I sood on the brakes and just missed the back end of the trailer as it moved into my lane.
    I have no probelm changing pads more ofter for the added bite I get from the slotted when I need it.
    There is no added bite from slotted (or drilled) rotors. Plain rotors would've allowed you to dodge the truck in exactly the same manner.

Where do the Bridgestone RE11's fit in? I know theyre not r-comps, but Ive heard people call them cheater-comps. I get good deals on Bridgestone tires, so Id like to stick with that brand. Paid $820 CAN installed for my 245/45/18 RE050A PP's...

The RE-11s are in the top 7 or 8 street tires, probably in the lower half of that top group. Calling them "cheater-comps" is probably a bit exaggerated, but they're very competitive in the street tire classes.

Bump!

concorso, did you ever get out to try auto-xing? Has anyone else auto-x'd their CTS? How about track days / HPDEs - anyone try that?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.