2004 3.6 CTS Fuel Injector Problem -- I have searched the forum already for an answer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2004 3.6 CTS Fuel Injector Problem -- I have searched the forum already for an answer in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello All, I have a 2004 CTS 3.6 w/ 89,000 miles and have recently run into an issue. One day ...
    biggins22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2004 3.6 CTS Fuel Injector Problem -- I have searched the forum already for an answer

Hello All,

I have a 2004 CTS 3.6 w/ 89,000 miles and have recently run into an issue. One day I was driving and the CEL started flashing and the engine started idling rough. After doing some research on this site, I thought that it was more than likely the plugs, so I had all six changed. That did not fix the problem, so I got the codes from Auto Zone and here's what was found:

P0201 (fuel injector circuit condition -- fuel injector #1) & P0301 (cylinder #1 misfire)

Now from what I've read here as well is that it is either the #1 fuel injector or the ECM. Now what happens when I start my car, I get the rough idle, and when I drive my car, when I hit 1500 rpm, the CEL starts blinking with the continued rough ride, anything below 1500, it's solid but still runs rough. However, if I drive my car for 15-20 minutes, my car straightens itself out and runs smoothly without any issues and the CEL stays solid; by the way my CEL is already on and stays solid due to a bad catalytic converter. When it straightens itself out, I can turn the car off and on and have no problems with it, but if it sits for an extended period of time, the rough idle and blinking light start back again until I drive it for another 15-20 minutes.

I've seen people with this issue similar to this on the board, but none that after driving the car for a while, it runs perfectly. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: 2004 3.6 CTS Fuel Injector Problem -- I have searched the forum already for an an

Sounds like you need a fuel injector changed.

biggins22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2004 3.6 CTS Fuel Injector Problem -- I have searched the forum already for an an

That's what I was thinking and that was going to be my next move. Just trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks!

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Quote Originally Posted by biggins22 View Post
    Hello All,

I have a 2004 CTS 3.6 w/ 89,000 miles and have recently run into an issue. One day I was driving and the CEL started flashing and the engine started idling rough. After doing some research on this site, I thought that it was more than likely the plugs, so I had all six changed. That did not fix the problem, so I got the codes from Auto Zone and here's what was found:

P0201 (fuel injector circuit condition -- fuel injector #1) & P0301 (cylinder #1 misfire)

Now from what I've read here as well is that it is either the #1 fuel injector or the ECM. Now what happens when I start my car, I get the rough idle, and when I drive my car, when I hit 1500 rpm, the CEL starts blinking with the continued rough ride, anything below 1500, it's solid but still runs rough. However, if I drive my car for 15-20 minutes, my car straightens itself out and runs smoothly without any issues and the CEL stays solid; by the way my CEL is already on and stays solid due to a bad catalytic converter. When it straightens itself out, I can turn the car off and on and have no problems with it, but if it sits for an extended period of time, the rough idle and blinking light start back again until I drive it for another 15-20 minutes.

I've seen people with this issue similar to this on the board, but none that after driving the car for a while, it runs perfectly. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance.
    that fuel injector circuit condition error typically points to bad ground. Since all the injectors on that bank share a common ground then its probably not the ground. It could be a bad connector or wiring. This aligns with yoru symptoms basically when the car heats up the problem goes away, ie when the connector expands the circuit is completed. i wouldn't run out and purchase another injector I woudl probabaly try cleaning out the connector with some electrical cleaner spray. give it a cood inspection. You may also consider switching the number one injector with another from another bank. If the problems follows the injector then it's possibly the injector. If it stays on #1 then you know the problem is the wiring and connector. I figure this will give you a good start. Go try it out and report back.

also I don't typically suggest replacing just one injector. Injectors are the type of things you want to be all in sync, sorta like spark plugs.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Why don't you fix the bad cat first, that way you don't have compound issues overlapping ?

zapiecsw is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same issue with my 2005 SRX V6 with 50k miles. Code P0201 followed by P0301 is registered when engine is warm to cold (sitting for 30 + minutes). After 15 minutes of running time the roughness goes away and runs like normal. What did you end up doing to correct the problem?

coverhag is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

My 2004 SRX is in the same boat right now, any solutions to the shake, rattle and roll ?

chevyhighperformance is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by briggy View Post
    that fuel injector circuit condition error typically points to bad ground. Since all the injectors on that bank share a common ground then its probably not the ground. It could be a bad connector or wiring. This aligns with yoru symptoms basically when the car heats up the problem goes away, ie when the connector expands the circuit is completed. i wouldn't run out and purchase another injector I woudl probabaly try cleaning out the connector with some electrical cleaner spray. give it a cood inspection. You may also consider switching the number one injector with another from another bank. If the problems follows the injector then it's possibly the injector. If it stays on #1 then you know the problem is the wiring and connector. I figure this will give you a good start. Go try it out and report back.

also I don't typically suggest replacing just one injector. Injectors are the type of things you want to be all in sync, sorta like spark plugs.
    Biggins22,

Briggy is giving you good advice. You can also try checking the resistance of each injector at the main connector. This is a simple check that you can do without having to take the intake manifold off. I bought a new complete set of injectors and fuel rail from ebay when I had a fuel injector problem.

I don't know if you or a friend has HPTuners, but you can log which cylinder is firing and both wideband pre-cat O2 sensors to get a better understanding of the problem.

bekenney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts

My 04 3.6 had same problem, same symtoms, ran fine after a few minutes then misfired again @86k miles, new ecm and ran great. Also i bought used ecm and took to dealer (charged $140 to reprogram)

DColunga is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by bekenney View Post
    My 04 3.6 had same problem, same symtoms, ran fine after a few minutes then misfired again @86k miles, new ecm and ran great. Also i bought used ecm and took to dealer (charged $140 to reprogram)
    What are some good high-performance fuel injectors for a Cadillac CTS 3.6 2004?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.